As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bucket BBQs

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket BBQs

Hi,

Sorry, this should probably be under "gadgets".

A friend of mine bought me a bucket BBQ from Sainsbury’s. Like this one:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop...nav=4294959435

I used the BBQ for the first time this week. It worked quite well once it got going.
    There is no height adjustment for the cooking grill, and items could roll off the cooking areas (always cook your sausages in-line with the cooking bars to avoid loss!), but 8 sausages successfully cooked with only half the inner bucket filled with charcoal, and plenty of heat left afterwards.

My plan was to use the outer “bucket” as my waste water bucket when not BBQing, but beware – there are air vent holes all around! Still, if I can find some bin-bags that will fit, the bucket can have 2 uses! Always handy when space is an issue!:so happy:

The burning charcoal goes into an inner bucket which seems to have been made from think material (also with air holes). The outer bucket attaches to its own “legs” so no need for bricks etc

I’ll let you all know how I get on with this on other outings. Am planning on storing it under the bonnet (Suzuki Carry owners will know what I’m talking about!).

Dave
    Last edited by steamydave; 17-04-2011, 22:16. Reason: Fix link address
    SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
    "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

I was thinking of buying one of these. I saw some in my local B&M store for under a tenner. Very nice little bit of kit.

What I did wonder is whether a lot of campsites would let you use them on site. Then there's all that carrying of fuel and BBQ tools around with it. And it's pretty near the ground, which involves bending down or kneeling to see to the food. Then cleaning for transporting home.

In the end I decided to stick with my original plan to just take a disposable barbie with me and use on the beach! LOL!

You'll have to let me know if it's as hard as it looks. Thinking it through, it all looks like hard work, but thinking is different than doing!

Comment

You raise several points there JayJay!!! I agree – not for everyone!

Yes, an instant BBQ would probably do just as well, but it was a present so I am duty bound to try it at least!

Re the fuel – I pre-loaded the BBQ with charcoal briquettes, but also bought myself a big bag of kindling from a local house - £1.25 for a “Tescos” carrier bag backed to the hilt. I p[referred that to carrying around fire lighters or BBQ lighting fluid. I found that a few pieces of scrap paper, some odd bits of cardboard and the kindling worked well together. I nicer wood smoke effect rather than sniffing petrol or lighting fluid on your food!

I was sitting in my out-side chair, leaning forward whilst cooking. Yes, near the ground if standing, but OK at the sitting level. Maybe not the usual pose for blokes doing the BBQ!!!

Cleaning for the trip home was a bit of a chore as some of the sausages had welded themselves onto the grill. I used a couple of Detol wet wipes – did most of the job. I didn’t empty the embers out – just put them out with a slow trickle of water (they advise not to put the coals out with water as it might damage the container). So I did it slowly to minimise the stresses caused by cooling too quickly. I must confess, the soggy coals are still in there, but that would be less of a problem if you could leave them to burn out and cool (say over night).

I must also point out that this is only designed for 2, so the cooking space is a bit limited, but I am used to doing BBQs with a constant flow of meats to be processed. It is also easy to add a few more briquettes once the heat dies down a bit.

I have an ex-army metal ammo box which I intend filling with BBQ charcoal, kindling and some odd cardboard for a store ready for more adventures. Space and keeping it clean will be the killer!

Dave

Comment

Hi,
        We have one of these it folds down to about 12mm. We have the fuel and lighters in a square biscuit tin enough for 3 bbq,s. With the bbq and its mesh on top of the tin in an old tee-shirt it sits on the propane bottle in the gas locker of our 08 hylo.I just wire brush the mesh clean. In use it sits on one of our small folding alloy table/stools.
        joe
        Last edited by joe; 19-04-2011, 08:24.
        If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

Neat!

Dave

Comment

Here is my video of it if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-82lCPWj4

You really do have to sit to use it!

Dave

Comment

Nice video Dave.

and thanks for subscribing to Smallmotorhome youtube page, I have returned the favour.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

bucket barbie

B & Q, £12, retro colours, works fine, permitted on campsites, love it! Also doubles as fire pit on cold evenings......................

Comment

Really good review. What was good as well is you gave the negatives! So people do not do that and the negatives often more important in making a decision to purchase than the positive ones. (the manufacturers give you the positives). Thanks Dave.

Comment

bucket barbeque

got one in Tesco yesterday. Looks like the sainsbury one. Reduced to £7.50

Pam

Comment

Is that a "bargain bucket" then - or have KFC trademarked that

Dave

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X