No announcement yet.

Silver screens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon this is yet another case of horses for courses, i.e. which is better for you depends on what you want from them.

It's a typical trade-off. When researching before buying ours the sources I found all seemed to agree that externals are more efficient at keeping heat in and light out, but internals are easier to handle.

We have the external ones ( GeeCee, did we buy them from you?) and, despite being "vertically challenged", have no problems putting them on our R20. A bigger van could well be a different story! As for them making it dark inside, that's one of the plusses for us, especially in the summer. Being the Lo model a fair amount of light gets in through the fabric in the roof.

The nearest we come to wild-camping is occasionally pitching in a boatyard while spending the days sailing with friends, but if we ever need to wild-camp properly then we won't be using the screens, so internals seem best if you're a regular wild-camper and occasionally need to move without opening the doors.
    Geoff

Comment

Agree with you Geoff. In fact Liz and I bought some huge internal lightweight generic silver screens, when they were in Aldi or somewhere, with the intention of cutting them to make bespoke internal screens if we go wilding. We also have been known to overnight in pub car parks (with permission, of course) and internal screens would be better/safer (thinking as much aof someone in their cups taking a fancy to trying to remove the external ones)

As for light, I like the dark in the evening/night but changing our external Silver Screen into a fold-down one is nice for the daytime - light without the additional effort of removing and then later refitting the screen.

Comment

Memory is a terrible thing as you get older! I cannot remember whether we sold the Silver Screens to you, Geoff, or whether we sold them on the net. Ah, it's coming back to me now. We sold the R20 to Freeborn without the Silver Screens because we needed some for our R30. Almost immediately found a buyer for the R20 Screens and at the same time found a real gentleman who was selling his R30 and wanted to sell his Silver Screens separately. He refused payment, said he'd send them to us and if we liked them send the money, if not send the screens back to him. The screens were absolutely perfect and although we only use them in cold weather and the winter, because we have internal Seitz screens fitted, they always travel with us in case of a cold snap. To anyone I would recommend getting the type with the drop down centre section, but do fit a tape across the top to join the 2 side sections if not already fitted. And don't forget the third hand, very, very useful. GeeCee

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
          Is that new or used? I might pop in to Brownhills where they have a notice board and there are usually people selling second hand accessories.
          They were new, bought from a company in Retford, whose name escapes me, I'm afraid, but I think I found them on ebay.

Comment

My local Lidl is selling a thermal windscreen protector for £1.99. Fits the Berlingo nicely and has a pretty picture of a polar bear.
            Isaiah 45:8

Comment

In Havering (Essex way) our Lidl has the windscreen protector as available from Thursday and ours will have penguins on it.

I thought the offers were standard throughout their stores ?

Comment

Im looking for one, our Lidl has none stocked, manager says they may appear later, many offers do not apply throughout the country

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
                  My local Lidl is selling a thermal windscreen protector for £1.99. Fits the Berlingo nicely and has a pretty picture of a polar bear.
                  In our Lidl £2.49 - must be a premium for import across the Cornwall border - Still good value. We are thinking of cutting 2 around to make thermal interior screens for the massive side windows of the pod (1200mm x 600mm). In the demountable when "wilding" there are no fast getaways so the case for interior screens is not relevant
                  I have a set of internal silver screens - I think for the 2000 onward Traffic - no good to us.
                  Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                  https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

They are £2.99 in Lidl Coventry, this evening. We went off to look at Ssangyong Tivoli cars, very nice and the drivers seat was made exactly for my body. I sat in it and my back pain disappeared.
                    suivez l'aventure

Comment

Gasgas, if you're still looking for screens the firm in Retford is Van Comforts, 01777 701804

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X