This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EHU extension?

Well with my campervan I had a 25metre EHU which was very heavy and I never used more than about half the length!! I let it go when I sold the camper...

Now I have a caravan and bought a 15metre EHu cable and twice I've needed to borrow a longer EHU lead! (And many thanks to Siddik for the loan of one at the Moreton meet!)

I'm unsure what I need to buy in the way of an extension. I thought a 10 metre one. Is it just another EHu lead - do they just fit together? And should there be a waterproof something or other where they join?

This might be a hypothetical question as sods law says as soon as I buy one and start carting it around I'll never need it!

Ext Cable

I agree it's a bind having a long one I cut mine in half & just bought a M & F plugs & sockets & use that you still need to carry both but not so much too coil up on a wet day & lighter
    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by peteadams67 View Post
      I agree it's a bind having a long one I cut mine in half & just bought a M & F plugs & sockets & use that you still need to carry both but not so much too coil up on a wet day & lighter
      Pete
      As long as the joints are proper waterproof ones I think this is a good idea.

I once had a long electric cable which a friend borrowed and used with over half still coiled on the drum. IT MELTED! Because the coils were trying to act as a transformer primary winding with no way of dissipating power except as heat.

I have seen so many over-long EHU cables used with the spare neatly coiled and I have often wondered whether they have suffered damage.
      Has anyone experience of damage resulting from using coiled EHU cable?
      Jim.
      Last edited by Twolitre; 29-05-2011, 15:30.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi J/j
        I thought I had sent this earlier,but I was half asleep and hit the wrong button,the two big camping clubs have a total ban on EHU leads with connectors,due to the risk of water getting in and electrocution,I have just checked with the site warden here and they confirm it is not allowed.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          As long as the joints are proper waterproof ones I think this is a good idea.

I once had a long electric cable which a friend borrowed and used with over half still coiled on the drum. IT MELTED! Because the coils were trying to act as a transformer primary winding with no way of dissipating power except as heat.

I have seen so many over-long EHU cables used with the spare neatly coiled and I have often wondered whether they have suffered damage.
          Has anyone experience of damage resulting from using coiled EHU cable?
          Jim.
          I know someone who did the same thing with a 'wind up inside' electric extension cable. That melted inside the drum.

The first time I used EHU the site manager came along and showed me how to store the unused cable - it should not be coiled, but looped over a long length like a longish figure of eight, about 4ft long.

Ian I wondered about this as have read the same somewhere. Some sites actually offer an extension cable if you don't have one long enough, but they are not C&CC sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
            Hi J/j
            I thought I had sent this earlier,but I was half asleep and hit the wrong button,the two big camping clubs have a total ban on EHU leads with connectors,due to the risk of water getting in and electrocution,I have just checked with the site warden here and they confirm it is not allowed.
            Interesting....I was lent a 25 m cable at a C&CC site last year because my 10m cable wouldn't reach, I had to join the 2 together, and they knew I was doing that. Mind you, it was a busy day and they could have had other things on their mind.

Thinking about it, since the 25m cable wouldn't reach on its own either they must have put me on a pitch which was never meant to have the option of EHU.
            Neil

Comment

There's another technical reason why you shouldn't connect 2 EHU cables together; The commercially made 15m cables are made from a smaller cross sectional cable than the 25m ones and if you join 2 together the voltage drop on the whole length will be too great and you may not have sufficient voltage at the caravan to operate voltage sensitive devices (tellys etc). For the same reason, and for other safety reasons (like staying alive maybe!), never make up your own cable unless you really know what you're doing. Electricians don't spend years getting qualified for no reason!
              :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment