As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeropress Coffee Maker

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeropress Coffee Maker

I don't drink instant coffee (Oh, alright if you invite me into your van I'll take one to be social). So I've been wondering what to do in the van for proper coffee.

I think I've found the perfect thing! The Aeropress coffee maker -http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/. It's small, unbreakable, self cleaning, pops the ground coffee out as a solid puck so no messy grounds everywhere and it makes decent coffee, even expresso. And it is reasonably priced.

It's a pretty clever idea too, it's just a large syringe. To make coffee remove the plunger, unscrew the base of the outer part, add a paper filter, add scoops of coffee into the top, stand on top of your mug and add hot water. Stir, leave for 30 seconds, and then neat part. Insert the rubber sealed plunger and slowly, slowly press down. The air above the water compresses and produces a high pressure which forces the water under pressure through the coffee, just like a real expresso machine.

Keep pressing and the plunger carries on down to compress the spent coffee grounds. Unscrew the base and the solid puck of coffee grounds drops out into your waste bin. Now the rubber seal of the plunger is protruding and a quick wipe cleans off any tiny grounds still sticking to it; pulling it back up through the chamber then cleans the inside of the chamber. No mess, no cleaning, neat. And a very good cup of coffee too.

Only downside I can see is that the device needs to sit on top of your mug so needs a reasonably wide mouthed coffee mug, a couple of our bone china mugs in the house are tall and slim and not a good fit. Not really a problem - most mugs are plenty wide enough anyway.

Should this review tempt anyone I got mine here http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/index...ss&act=viewCat

I mention the website above because I was very impressed, I ordered mine 8:30 pm on Thursday evening and was using it Saturday morning so must have been immediate dispatch.

So drop by for a coffee when you see Brian The Snail (he sits on top of the dash).

Brian
    She wants to be flowers, but you make her owls. You must not complain, then, if she goes hunting.

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
    I don't drink instant coffee (Oh, alright if you invite me into your van I'll take one to be social). So I've been wondering what to do in the van for proper coffee.

I think I've found the perfect thing! The Aeropress coffee maker -http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/. It's small, unbreakable, self cleaning, pops the ground coffee out as a solid puck so no messy grounds everywhere and it makes decent coffee, even expresso. And it is reasonably priced.

It's a pretty clever idea too, it's just a large syringe. To make coffee remove the plunger, unscrew the base of the outer part, add a paper filter, add scoops of coffee into the top, stand on top of your mug and add hot water. Stir, leave for 30 seconds, and then neat part. Insert the rubber sealed plunger and slowly, slowly press down. The air above the water compresses and produces a high pressure which forces the water under pressure through the coffee, just like a real expresso machine.

Keep pressing and the plunger carries on down to compress the spent coffee grounds. Unscrew the base and the solid puck of coffee grounds drops out into your waste bin. Now the rubber seal of the plunger is protruding and a quick wipe cleans off any tiny grounds still sticking to it; pulling it back up through the chamber then cleans the inside of the chamber. No mess, no cleaning, neat. And a very good cup of coffee too.

Only downside I can see is that the device needs to sit on top of your mug so needs a reasonably wide mouthed coffee mug, a couple of our bone china mugs in the house are tall and slim and not a good fit. Not really a problem - most mugs are plenty wide enough anyway.

Should this review tempt anyone I got mine here http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/index...ss&act=viewCat

I mention the website above because I was very impressed, I ordered mine 8:30 pm on Thursday evening and was using it Saturday morning so must have been immediate dispatch.

So drop by for a coffee when you see Brian The Snail (he sits on top of the dash).

Brian
    Stick a big hypodermic needle on the base and you can mainline on fresh coffee without mucking up a cup.Seems practical to me I just use a cafetierre,bung the coffee in add hot water,scrunge and drink in any old receptacle handy.Wash out under site tap.
    First thing in the morning doing complicated things is beyond this neaderthal.
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 31-05-2011, 13:17.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I use a stove top espresso pot that I got from Ikea. I have a little metal plate thingy so that the pot is stable in the cooker, fill the bottom with hot water, coffee in the little container and then screw the top pot on. Done in no time and enough for three big cups.
      That Aeropress thing looks good, but is it only big enough for one cup at a time? It's almost as quick as instant ... If you usually drink instant that is, which I don't!

Comment

I have both caffetiere and Bialetti stove-top pot. All my cafferieres are glass and I'm trying to have as little breakable glass as possible in the van. I'm clumsy enough in unconfined spaces. I love the stove-top expresso maker but wasn't sure about stability in the van. Also both are a pain to wash because of all the grounds - although I hadn't though of Ian's idea of using the site tap.

The aeropress can, sort of, make several cups. 4 scoops of coffee and fill up to the '4' marker would produce a mug of coffee equivalent to 4 expressos! My plan is to use 2 scoops, and press a double expresso, then pour half into a second mug, top both with water and have two single shot americanos.

After a particularly heavy night at a computer conference once, I tried a triple expresso to lift the dulling effects of the hangover before I gave my presentation. It made me extremely jittery and I felt I had heart palpitations for a couple of hours afterwards

No quadruple expressos for me!

Brian
        She wants to be flowers, but you make her owls. You must not complain, then, if she goes hunting.

Comment

I can really recommend the Aeropress. Very easy to use, really nice cup of coffee, filter works perfectly and a doddle to clean.
          Just got a second one from here for a present.
          http://www.buyforlessonline.co.uk/It...%20-%20Aerobie
          £23.92 for Aeropress with 2 x 350 filter papers including delivery, using code THANKS2868 (valid until 30 april)

Comment

Hi Brian and Sidick, we have invested in the Aeropress after reading your posts - it is fantastic! Light, small, and produces really good coffee. I have to be honest and say that we do drink instant coffee for convenience, but enjoy a cup of 'real' coffee when we have time, especially when we are away in the van. Thanks for the heads up, tthere's a coffee waiting for you
            Last edited by VonUK; 15-04-2012, 10:23.

Comment

When asked if there was anything special I needed to get in for my daughter's visit, she requested some good coffee...I bought Goldtop instead of the usual brand of instant. Needless to say, she was NOT impressed. LOL

But nowadays we do run to using a cafetiere, especially for visitors. Personally, I have little preference.

Now, if you were talking about TEA, a proper drink, IMHO, tea-leaves are a must every time, except, possibly when camping. (We have had this discussion before, some time back.)

Anyway, thanks for posting the link to the coffee maker. Maybe it is time to upgrade the coffee-making equipment at home / in the van.
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Available for about the same price from Amazon WITH FREE POSTAGE.

Also if you use the link below the forum will benefit from a small commission which we use to help with our running costs.

AEROPRESS
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Graham, I would have bought from Amazon, but there were a couple of other things I wanted which came as a kit at Cream Supplies. I've made a donation to ease my guilty conscience

Comment

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
                    Hi Graham, I would have bought from Amazon, but there were a couple of other things I wanted which came as a kit at Cream Supplies. I've made a donation to ease my guilty conscience
                    Bless you Yvonne, you didn't have to do that! We've received your donation, thank you very much, it all helps.
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

The forum is worth every penny Graham and Pauline- thank YOU

Comment

I love real coffee but sadly no room for any more equipment in the motorhome. I find Lyons coffee bags are a really good alternative and much preferable to 'instant'. The longer you leave the bag in the cup, the stronger the coffee and its easy to get rid of the coffee grounds as they are still safely in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Available for about the same price from Amazon WITH FREE POSTAGE.

Also if you use the link below the forum will benefit from a small commission which we use to help with our running costs.

AEROPRESS
                          Graham, the one on Amazon has one lot of filters with it, the link I posted has two lots. The extra 350 pack of filters are an extra £5.00, that is why I posted it as it is good value. Not trying to take people away from linking through SMH.

Comment

Sorry I didn't realise that. I just thought the amazon one might work out cheaper with free postage. I should have looked closer.
                            Graham

Comment

Sainsburys do a really good coffee bag that is much better than the lyons bags. They are actually a compact filter not like a tea bag, a bit of origami.. simple once you have done the first one and you have a filter that fits inside your mug and you pour the water into the filter.

Now these filters (bags) pack flat they are NOT the roundabouts filter jobs which are big and bulky. They do take a bit of spotting but they are in every Sainsburys I have been in .... They are fine.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X