Fridge Size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge Size?

My campervan is just about ready now. This week the converter sent a photograph that showed the fridge in place and it looks disappointing to me as it sticks out. This is due to him trying to fit it into a VW Transporter rather than his usual Renault Traffic.

If I understand the converter correctly he's saying that he can fit the 40L Vitrifrigo C42L fridge in place of the C51i 50L fridge - the height and width being the same but the depth is less, mainly due to the externally mounted compressor and cooling unit.

I'll put some photos in the next post (having difficulty with photos again) for you to see what I'm talking about.

My question is - what do you reckon to capacity of the fridge, is 40 litres sufficient or should I put up with the sticking out 50 litre fridge?

Thanks,

Gregor.​​​

This is the standard layout with the fridge mounted flush with the other units

GREENLINE FRIDGE.jpg

This is how it looks in my van, sticking out a bit

Looking Backwards IMG_20180908_161302.jpg

Comment

I have the same / simular fridge mine is a IndelB and the Waeco is also the same. We find the 40 litre plenty big enough - it is the same as the Dometic / Electrolux 3 way fitted in most campervans - small motorhomes.
      I've never had a problem and we keep it on all the time - cpmpressor draw averages 0.6amp taken over whole day - so about 14amps drawn from the battery a 100w Solar Panel easily keeps in front of demand.
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

flush fitting every time Gregor!

Comment

Agree with Doug and the others. Get the 40litre one that doesn't stick out.

Comment

Thanks guys, you're all thinking along the same lines as me - which is encouraging!

kernowjon - The van only has 80w Solar Panel (this time a compromise due to the positioning of the skylight in the hi-top roof). Do you think that will be enough to keep the fridge going?

Comment

turn the fridge off at night if in doubt.

Comment

We've just returned from 4 days in the New Forest and an 80W solar panel kept the Waeco fridge with freezer compartment running for 3 days following a 130 mile journey. At the end of the 3rd day, a 12 mile drive was needed to boost the battery voltage (now 11.8V) to power the fridge overnight before our drive home. The ambient temperature was around 20°C during the daytime falling to 10-12°C at night and the fridge was run at 1°C and freezer at-18°C.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregor View Post
                  Thanks guys, you're all thinking along the same lines as me - which is encouraging!

kernowjon - The van only has 80w Solar Panel (this time a compromise due to the positioning of the skylight in the hi-top roof). Do you think that will be enough to keep the fridge going?
                  Gregor I think karenw has answered your query - all these small compressor fridges use the same external Danfoss compressor so performance is much the same. We are oldies - not really active (we don't do lots of cycling or long distance walking) so the van rarely stands for longer than say 3 days on a site - so our engine gives the battery a quick top-up. This summer June when the van had a breakdown the leisure battery went Sunday to Friday running the fridge with only the Solar Panel - this was Edinburgh so slightly more sunlight time than in south of England at that time of year!
                  Jon
                  Last edited by kernowjon; 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM.
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                  https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Just a quick follow up - FYI.

I spoke to the converter today and he has ordered the 40L fridge and will fit it before I take delivery of the van. It means that I'll get the van early next week, rather than late this week - but at least I won't have to take the van back again to get the fridge swapped out, which was his other suggestion!

Thanks again, everyone!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X