Dash cam recommendations please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
    Does anyone know of a dash cam that does not have the cigarette lighter plug to power it? I would prefer just a red and black wire that you connect to an 'ign on' power feed in the fuse box. Thus the wiring could be neatly tucked away out of sight..
    Often these cigarette lighter power plugs include a volt dropper so you can't just cut the plug off and wire it in to 12v.
    Some of the dash cams already mentioned feature hard wired kits as well as the standard 12v plug:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FNVQD..._DI3jCbPG4X38P

NEXTBASE 312GW BUNDLE KIT INCLUDES: 312GW Dash Cam, Window screen mount, cigarette lighter PLUS a hardwire kit, 32GB SD card and case

Or you can buy the hard wire kit on it's own:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Ca...0139M8MSJDXY6K

Comment

I'm not sure how many vehicles have this feature but my Toyota Rav4, 2006 vintage, has a powered dipping interior rear view mirror so I was able to tap into it and mount my Mobius dash camera in front of the mirror without any wiring trailing anywhere.

I would assume that more modern vehicles would have a similar live (on ignition) feed available
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt View Post
        I'm not sure how many vehicles have this feature but my Toyota Rav4, 2006 vintage, has a powered dipping interior rear view mirror so I was able to tap into it and mount my Mobius dash camera in front of the mirror without any wiring trailing anywhere.

I would assume that more modern vehicles would have a similar live (on ignition) feed available
        I used a little mobius as a dashcam and it gave fantastic results, the only downside was that the heatsink became so warm with extended use it made the outer casing very sticky, almost melted. Great little camera and used it on the wing of my remote gliders for aerial footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQM0aJzZKE

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
          I am also looking to upgrade my eBay special and think this bundle looks like good value. GPS logging and wireless connectivity will be useful.
          ​​​​​​
          That's a good deal. You can play the .MOV files on pretty much any computer but if you download the Company "Replay 3" software from their site it also displays a 'dashboard' live Google maps image, accelerometer readings, compass direction and so on. All grist to the mill if things get litigious.

Comment

For the economy minded a Hardwire Kit can be simply made by soldering a couple of wires to the input of a plug in USB to cig. lighter adapter or the supplied plug. A more professional job can be done by dismantling the plug and wiring direct to the innards.
            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Yes jondxxx, but you are assuming that the dash cam runs off 12v. Some devices use electronic innards inside the cigarette plug to drop the voltage to that required by the device. I suppose the only thing to do is check the cam runs off 12v before buying it.
              Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                Yes jondxxx, but you are assuming that the dash cam runs off 12v. Some devices use electronic innards inside the cigarette plug to drop the voltage to that required by the device. I suppose the only thing to do is check the cam runs off 12v before buying it.
                Which is why I specified connecting to the input side of the USB to lighter socket adapter which will always be 12 volts. I am not suggesting that you put 12v directly onto the USB cable. The output does of course have to be the USB standard 5v.
                Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation jond, I didn't quite get it on the first reading

Comment

I bought a Nextbase 412GW and the hard wire kit and fitted it to my 2017 Fiat Ducato. The camper has blinds that slide across the windscreen and this means there is only one place you can fix the dashcam which is adjacent to the rear view mirror position. As it needs to be within the screen wiper arc, it needs to point downwards to reduce the amount of sky, I want to close the blinds without removing the dash cam each time, and it must not obscure the driver's field of view this is the only place it can go. This means it has to be screwed to the Remis blind frame, which is a pity, I don't like screwing things into the camper because if I want to remove it and sell the vehicle it leaves a small hole. It has to be screwed because the adhesive just isn't strong enough. Also I wanted it to turn on when the ignition is on, and off when the ignition is off, and there was only one set of wires in the fuse box which had an ign voltage. One row of fuses had a constant 12v, ign on or off, and the other row of fuses didn't change with ign on / off. They must only have volts when the load (eg wipers) is on, and that's no good.
                    I have found that the NExtbase switches itself on when the ign is off and we are moving about / making some noise inside the camper. I'll see if that can be turned off.
                    As it was a fairly -well not exactly difficult job - but it took a lot of thought as to where and how to locate and wire it, I think I will submit a 'look wot I done' article to MMM. They seem to have some really stupidly easy jobs in there that earn some money for the author so I don't see why I shouldn't join in.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X