This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cobbs

Does anyone have any experience of these barbeques. Good or bad?
    Thinking of splashing out but not sure if it would get enough use as already have a party grill for when camping alone.
    Lizzie

I had a Cobb. It's great for doing things like cooking a whole chicken with roast veg to feed a family - but as a barbecue it doesn't have any advantage over a more conventional (and much cheaper) one.

It also seemed an awful waste of time firing it up to use as a barbie for just me when the kids stopped coming away with me - the party grill does the job in a fraction of the time and costs less to run.

I sold it and got a cheap bucket barbie for when I'm being social with other barbi-ers, takes up a lot less room in the van.

Comment

My daughter and her husband have one, they use it lots and lots. But they are true 'foodies'! They produce the most delicious meals and even bake a cake or two while camping.

The Hairy Bikers seem to love them, not sure if that is a plus or minus point, depends on your opinion of them!
      Mary

Comment

Yes, if you are in to cooking and experimenting, and there's more than one of you, then they can be good - but if like me you're on your own and only cook when you really have to, then it's a waste of valuable space in the camper.

Comment

I have a cobb Lizzie and at first was disappointed then gradually have warmed to it again. Would I have paid the price asked with this knowledge now I am not sure! You can have a go with it if you like or even borrow it for a few days to see how you get on.... providing we have a fixed date as being summer I may want to use it.

It is absolutely great for a special barbecue on a campsite or at home.... you can cook a wonderful roast for example and it is great fun. However it is is big for a camper van also it is more faff to clean than a conventional barbecue. An ordinary barbecue I clean very little and have survived to tell the tale... I just let the fire burn off the bits off the grill bits wash it in hot soapy water and next time I use the thing the fire is going to do a pretty good sterilisation job anyway.

The cobb is different.... You do have quite a few bits to clean. Not too bad if you use the ash from the burnt out charcoal to scrubb which works beautifully but it is work unlike the simple cheap barbies you take away.

You can now buy special Cobb bricks which I really like though because they light instantly unlike the heat beads which take quite a while and you have an instant barbecue very quickly. The also come packed in cellophane so transport very easily so a seaside barbecue can be done very easily which is wonderful. It is fun.... but it is also quite a bulky unit to transport.

The extra pans that are sold.. hummmmmmmmmmmm mixed feelings about some of those.....
          Last edited by Tentpeg; 28-06-2011, 07:12.

Comment

cobbs

Thank you all for your helpful comments and your kind offer Jenny. It sounds though as if it might not be the best choice for me so think I will stick with my party grill and save my pennies.
            Off to Tregurrian for a few days and maybe THS at Hendra. Have not tried these THS before so will be interesting!

Lizzie

Comment

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
              Thank you all for your helpful comments and your kind offer Jenny. It sounds though as if it might not be the best choice for me so think I will stick with my party grill and save my pennies.
              Off to Tregurrian for a few days and maybe THS at Hendra. Have not tried these THS before so will be interesting!

Lizzie
              What is THS?
              Mary

Comment

Oh, I've got it! Temporary Holiday Site! (asked and answered)!!!!

I googled Hendra and got a really expensive holiday complex that charges £5 a night for dogs - I thought 'surely not'!

Let us know how you get on Lizzie
                Mary

Comment

cobs

I have a cob, find it great as you can set it up with chicken, veg etc and leave it to cook away on its own for a couple of hours while you walk the dogs or just laze about, I found a grat way to do chicken on mine, stand the chicken up with a small can of beer inside and thats it the chicken just falls off the bone and is very tasty.

Bod

Comment

Cobb

Thats Ok if you like hot beer or does the chicken drink it; hence falling of the bone or should that be Cobb
                    Pete

Comment

I was at my local friendly campsite when I saw on of these in use,I poked my nose in and asked questions,the owner was a real addict and said it could cook anything,it is a very clever gadjet,but its big and not much use for just one person.
                      So I will just have to put up with resteraunts and local pubs,etc.Still,no washing up eh?
                      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Cob

Its not a BBQ as such but a slow cooker, you can cook a complete meal for one or four, just depends on quantities, it has a moat that you can fill with wine, to flavour meat, it cooks slow and the base remains cool wont burn the surface it is standing on, as said fire it up and off you go to do other things and by time you come back you will have a complete cooked meal, can't beat that and match it with a kelly kettle and you are sorted for stealth camping.

Love mine.

Bod

Comment

No experience myself but have been recommended one of these very enthusiastically by a camper/kayaker chappy. Would get one myself except for the size.
                          Not much help but as they say "every little helps"

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X