Opener (bottle/can/screw-top)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opener (bottle/can/screw-top)

Not really a camping accessory but we just bought a couple of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-In-On...w/183381740099

Our need was to be able to open fizzy drinks bottles. Liz and I don't have a sweet tooth so will often have a bottle of tonic water or bitter lemon in the cab (no gin when I'm driving) but far too often Liz is unable to remove the plastic screw-cap from the bottle. I saw the above on Ebay and thought it worth a punt at that price - in fact I got two, one for the cab and one for the lounge in the van. They appear to work really well, no problem in removing plastic or metal screw tops on bottles. It also incorporates a standard beer bottle opener, an opener for ring-pull cans, another different opener for those cans of fruit and veg where there's a ring pull and the entire can top levers off and also a jar lever (not for screw top jars but to lever the top off)

We think it a useful addition in our van and at a couple of quid delivered (even cheaper if you want to wait a couple of weeks for one from China) it doesn't break the bank.

Looks a good gadget, at our old house we had loads of small indentations down the edge of the kitchen door and surround where we would hold the bottle top in the door jamb, close the door to wedge it and then turn. Worked a treat except for the damage

Comment

Thanks, Brian. I showed your post to Ian and he promptly ordered two for us as well. I really struggle with the ring pulls on cans, as well as ipening bottles etc, so hope to find this the answer to my prayers.

Mind you, who needs one when they have an Ian / a Donk (to quote a character in Crocodile Dundee) ?
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I find those first openings of a jam jar the hardest. If there were a gadget for that the problem would be some loss of purpose in my life as my wife could cope without me.

Comment

Sorry Sue. I was writing as you posted

Comment

We both find this gadget really useful, bought from Amazon.

Jar Opener Get Lids Off Easily for Seniors, People Suffering From Arthritis and Anyone with Low Strength, Non-slip Heavy-duty Can Jar Bottle Opener

opener.jpg
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I just knew I was replaceable

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                I find those first openings of a jam jar the hardest. If there were a gadget for that the problem would be some loss of purpose in my life as my wife could cope without me.
                I put the top under the hot tap for a short time and then it opens quite easily.

Comment

Great spot Brian. We now have some on order. We have versions of the gadgets but an all-in-one is much better suited to the handbag/ rucksack.

Comment

Hmmm........ BUT . . .does it open champagne corks, that's what I want to know.

. . . Or Graham's cake tin?
                    Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

gasgas Tell you what, next meet you bring the champagne and I'll bring the opener (and a glass).

Comment

Here's the jar lid opener:
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3-in-1....c100005.m1851

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                          Actually Derek, as well as Pauline's suggestion, to open any jar if you first stab the top with a Sharp Thing, such as a fork tine or tip of a sharp knife it will release the vacuum and the lid will come undone easily.

Comment

Yes all sorts of ways to open a jar I know, just do not tell my wife

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X