X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotplates

Good afternoon to those who pop in.

As we are in the process of equiping our Outlook, I am looking to purchase an electric hob that will be suitable.

Does anyone use one in their motorhome? Or one that they can recommend to use when on EHU.

Thanks
    Last edited by jessiem; 26-01-2010, 15:02. Reason: the wording didn't look right
    Jessie

We haven't got one we prefer to save electricity and use our gas (especially when on electric hook up)

Seriously we find the cost of the hot plate and the space it uses up in a small van is hardly worth the hassle to save a bit of gas. We use our double skillet a lot and find it really good.

I am sure others will be along with some recommendations.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We bought a hotplate with the intention of using it in our Outlook but we have decided against it because:

1. too heavy compared with usefullness
      2. couldn't work out a place to put it when in use.
      3. were worried about burning ourselves when it was cooling down beacause we are used to gas at home.

Comment

We use a 12v hot plate, which is very compact. The drawback with it is that it takes a while to heat up, and as long to cool down. You pay quite a bit for EHU so you may as well use it, and balanced against the cost, about twenty pounds, you will soon recoup the cost. http://www.caravantech-shop.co.uk/pr...tric-hot-plate
        Alan

Comment

We use one when we have EHU - don't believe in using gas when we have electricity, which we only have when it is included in the price.

We bought ours in France and it is 1kw - cost about €20 - 5 years ago.

It does take a while to heat up and cool down but you are supposed to be on holiday so time doesn't really matter.

I put a pan with cold water on the hot plate when we turn it off to use up the residual heat and then we don't accidently touch it and burn ourselves.

It stands on top on the hob for use as we don't use that when we are using the hotplate.

Riversway Leisure usually have one on their website - see here

Comment

thank you wendy, alan, peter and graham for your replies.

I am getting a double skillet graham but want to cook on electric when we are hooked up as it is included in cost so, we will make use of it, (and use gas as a back up if no electric).

I can see reason behind some of the points made and will take them into account. it's all about weighing up the pros and cons when you have a small space. Think I'll buy one though I'm the one cooking!!
            Jessie

Comment

Hi Jessie

We got one a single one from Lakeland. It fixes tightly over the gas hob so is very secure. We use it when we are on hook up but it is slow but fine for a quick fry up or stew. We keep it in its box which stands up in an underseat space so slides out easily and does not take up much space.

Also if there is ever a problem with gas, like running out, at least we have some other cooking device.

Think it was about £20 but our local Euronics sell them a bit cheaper. Even Argos worth a look.

Comment

There are some in our Accessories Store HERE if they are any good.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I got one for £4.99 a couple of years ago when I had the caravan. I only used it a couple of times - I found that my electric frying pan was nearly as versatile and lighter to carry, also my slow cooker is one that has a separate hotplate which can be used with any pan for warming things up or keeping them warm, so the hotplate really didn't justify it's place in the cupboard.

Then someone gave me a microwave for the van - and to be honest all I ever seem to use now is that, the kettle and the toaster!

There again I never was much of a cook .................................

Comment

I can see i will have to organise myself an order from the store on here, love the little salt and pepper pots.

Comment

thank you all once again for your replies. I never thought looking for cooking equipment could be so indepth. I want easy as possible to be honest. I assume the main thing is to look for low wattage/ampage. I reckon I have made up my mind.
                      Heating is on the agenda next. I have seen the 'igenix' oil filled radiator mentioned on the archive. Also little blow heaters.
                      Whas there a recommendation on small gas heaters?

Graham? Is there a hints and tips section anywhere. I would find suggestions really useful being a newcomer. (and the female that does the kitting out )

example: microfibre towels dry quicker, are lighter and save space. sort of thing....

I'll go now, or else I just rabbit on
                      Thank you all
                      Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
                        Graham? Is there a hints and tips section anywhere. I would find suggestions really useful being a newcomer. (and the female that does the kitting out )

example: microfibre towels dry quicker, are lighter and save space. sort of thing....
                        There is a section on the main website about camping in a Romahome from our experiences, you might find that interesting but basically the whole of this forum is all about asking question and getting answers and the experienced helping with hints and tips for the inexperienced so ask away and people will answer with little gems of wisdom.
                        Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          There is a section on the main website about camping in a Romahome from our experiences, you might find that interesting but basically the whole of this forum is all about asking question and getting answers and the experienced helping with hints and tips for the inexperienced so ask away and people will answer with little gems of wisdom.
                          Thank you I have clicked on the said link and will read away and no doubt be back asking for more tips if they haven't been covered already.
                          Jessie

Comment

I wonder about the reality of the savings made by buying a hotplate to save on gas on a campsite.

For the following reasons:
                            1. The ammount of gas I use in a season on cooking never seems to be that great and I cook a great deal. So to recover the cost of new equipment will take a long time.
                            2. I carry an electric kettle (camping type) and wonder at times on the sense of that.
                            3. Extra weight and clutter in a confined space. Payloads are something that perhaps we all need to be aware of?
                            4. The increased risk of blowing the trip switch for other campers. Okay you add your amps and are careful but on a cold night when everybody hits their devices at the same time it can cause a surge particulary on lower ampage sites.
                            5. I am on holiday and really I want convenience and the savings involved are not that great/ if any

Okay that is just me you may be fulltiming more or less so your situation may be different. Just some thoughts, what do others think?

Comment

Originally posted by Roamingsue View Post
                              I wonder about the reality of the savings made by buying a hotplate to save on gas on a campsite.

For the following reasons:
                              1. The ammount of gas I use in a season on cooking never seems to be that great and I cook a great deal. So to recover the cost of new equipment will take a long time.
                              2. I carry an electric kettle (camping type) and wonder at times on the sense of that.
                              3. Extra weight and clutter in a confined space. Payloads are something that perhaps we all need to be aware of?
                              4. The increased risk of blowing the trip switch for other campers. Okay you add your amps and are careful but on a cold night when everybody hits their devices at the same time it can cause a surge particulary on lower ampage sites.
                              5. I am on holiday and really I want convenience and the savings involved are not that great/ if any

Okay that is just me you may be fulltiming more or less so your situation may be different. Just some thoughts, what do others think?
                              Hi Sue

I entirely agree, as you say the cost of a hotplate is say upwards of £20 and it probably saves pence every time you use it, that would take a long time to recoup the cost. Then factor in the inconvenience of finding somewhere to stow it when space is at a premium plus the extra weight etc.

I know some people take microwaves in there vans as well, they seem very popular but for me it just doesn't seem worth it.

Just my opinion, each to his/her own.
                              Graham

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X