As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoovers

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoovers

Hi

Can anyone please tell me what Hoover they use in their van . Ive tried small mains powered hand held ones to clean when at home , but I wondered if there is one small enough to use away that actually works .
    Thanks for your help .

Hi,
    Over the years I have found that the 12v hoovers for cleaning are just a waste of time
    For my "flying brick", (about 3 sq ft of carpet), a good plastic stiff bristle brush will get all the crud n grass out of any flooring material easily
    My twopeneth
    If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Originally posted by davebull View Post
      Hi

Can anyone please tell me what Hoover they use in their van . Ive tried small mains powered hand held ones to clean when at home , but I wondered if there is one small enough to use away that actually works .
      Thanks for your help .
      Yr on yr holls when you are away shovel the worst till you can find yr sandles then clean up when you get home :so happy:

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your help .
        If you need a small vac the Black & Decker PAD1200 takes some beating I would not reccomend a rechargable vac
        see http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/home...catno/PAD1200/
        Alf
        Last edited by alf39; 30-08-2011, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
          Yr on yr holls when you are away shovel the worst till you can find yr sandles then clean up when you get home :so happy:
          Quite!
          Hmm. Now what is ESSENTIAL when I am away??

Pressure washer - washing machine - oh, and dishwasher. Of course the maid servant and butler. A flat iron for the butler to press my clothes and iron my newspapers.
          Now what else have I forgotten????

Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Quite!

Pressure washer - washing machine - oh, and dishwasher. Of course the maid servant and butler. A flat iron for the butler to press my clothes and iron my newspapers.

Jim.

I didnt say essential just asked for a bit of advice ! If you cant add anything constructive just dont bother !

Comment

Quite!

Jim.

I didnt say essential just asked for a bit of advice ! If you cant add anything constructive just dont bother !
              Sorry if I have offended you Dave, but with overloading (dangerous) in mind I only carry essentials. Too many people severely overload their units with DESIREABLES.
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Dave, you'll get used to the humour on this site! As far as hoovers go, I use a Dyson handheld rechargeable, which actually is very effective, I use it for the stairs at home to save lugging the big vacuum cleaner around. I've considered taking it with me in the van, and have definitely used it when I've got home from a trip, however so far I've managed with a stiff brush, a shake of the mats, followed by a stiff drink after all that housework

Comment

Over the years I've used several small vacuum cleaners when I was working,by far the best was a small Dyson rechargeable it actually worked which was more than most of the others did !! They are quite expensive though but as VonUK wrote they are effective.
                  If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

Because we have dogs, we have dog hair to contend with (naturally!). I found a great rubber brush which does the trick while away, but, once home, the Dyson comes out!!

Comment

Hi Dave I have found anything small enough to pack is just not very effective. Do you have fitted carpets? I concur on the stiff brush and dustpan approach.... Or better still shaking them out outside the van.

I have just purchased a loose runner carpet and a doormat which all are washable in the washing machine. Would it be feasable to take a cover up approach in your van with a turtle mat or similar at the door?

Comment

hi Dave

Since storage is rather a problem in a R20, I am trying hard only to carry the real essentials rather than the extra things that may or may not be useful.

I have removed the small carpet by the door, replacing it with a light, washable mat that can easily be lifted out and shaken. I do take a tiny dustpan and brush for that area but really, a damp cloth is more that adequate.

The main 'runner' of carpet is also covered with matching small floor mats. One time, when the weather was really bad and I wanted to put eg wet windbreaks back into the van, I covered the floor with a plastic tarpauline, though bin bags oened up would have done the job just as well.

Another tip is to take some cricket stumps to knock in near the back door - to keep dirty, wet wellies on rather than to bring them into the van.

Hope these ideas are useful. BTW a lot of teasing goes on on this site - all meant as good fun.
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Interesting thread this! I have a 12v hoover from Lidl that I was going to dump as I thought I would never use it----until I dropped the coffee.It cleaned up well,a brush just got it down into the carpet pile,so I kept it.I may only use it occasionally but it works for me. You pays yor money and......
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

With a big hairy dog we have to clean the van every day and over the years have tried all sorts. But for the past two years we have had a cleaner that does the job every time. It is a Black & Decker Autoduster Model AV1205,( they do various models but this is the most powefull). It plugs into the 12 volt and has a very long lead which seems to be unusual for these things, designed for cars I suppose. It is a bit bulky but essential equipment for us, part of the price we pay for having a big hairy dog in the first place.
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                              hi Dave

Another tip is to take some cricket stumps to knock in near the back door - to keep dirty, wet wellies on rather than to bring them into the van.
                              I like the cricket stump idea!
                              Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X