This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangoo bed box...1st post too!

Hello, thanks for having me on your canny site. I`ve been lurking for a while and i`m currently in the process of making up a removable bed box (Amdro style) for use in our Kangoo. The Kangoo is a recent purchase, a 56 plate with 4300mls from new and after covering 1000mls in the last 3 weeks (including a week on the Isle of Man for the Manx GP) i`m loving it so far :so happy:

Anyway, any suggestions regarding the building of this removable bed box? I`ve chosen not to go down the route of any permanent changes to the vehicle as I also need the Kangoo to carry one of my motorcycles

Gan canny,

Mike

A very easy option would be to make two boxes then run a length of ply across the two when in situ. This is the system I used - very simple, low cost, easy to lift out and store when not in use and provides storage while camping. You could even keep all your camping gear in them at home and just lift them into your car/van for trips away.

Comment

Hi Mike, loads of ideas on this Spanish Forum

http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?PHP...topic=174565.0

There are 25 pages in Spanish but loads of pictures
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Thanks for the replies Karen and Derek, good idea Karen, Derek I was able to read the spanish site via google translator.

Comment

This is the first layout of my van - 2 simple boxes plus a loo/sink unit. The pump tap is fed via a 20l jerrican and the 'sink' is a 99p washing up bowl which has lasted for 7 years. I replaced it a few months ago with a stainless steel sink and external waste drainage.

A simple and basic layout in situ for 7 years:

The bed layout:

This year I made some 'Heath-Robinson' modifications which were only intended to be a temporary trial pending making new units - but it's worked better than I anticipated.

The sink unit has been shunted to the centre and the two boxes from the left have been overturned and, coincidentally, their shaped backs fit over the wheel arches.

The 'bed' is now on the right behind the driver's seat which is pushed and tilted forwards. I've carpeted the walls and fitted a roof vent and it's given the 10 year old van a new lease of life. The airbed has also been replaced by a beanbag Z-bed which folds away into 3 panels for storage.

The floor has also been 'carpeted' with washable doormats - the ultimate in err... luxury and I have a small picnic table which slots beside the passenger seat in transit and fits into the rear when parked or can be used outside in good weather.

You don't have to spend a fortune and even very simple, basic ideas can work so have fun improvising. I have!

Comment

Tidy job there karen,
            And Roo looks very happy too,
            No need to spend mega bucks,
            Recycle, recycle
            If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Some great ideas there folks, thanks. I`ve got the wood all cut to size this morning...now to build it all up.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike46 View Post
                Some great ideas there folks, thanks. I`ve got the wood all cut to size this morning...now to build it all up.

Mike
                I look forward to seeing your ideas. Enjoy!

Comment

Couple of quick piccies...the box in the back of the Kangoo,

And it `unfolded` out into the bed...

Quite pleased up to now

Comment

Looking good, I do admire members who have such amazing skills, I can't even cut a length of wood in a straight line.

Welcome to the site

Di.
                    Last edited by di allen; 11-09-2011, 10:08.

Comment

Thanks Di, another point i`d like to mention is the price of `similar` professional units are £1000-£1500 (fully equipped). Up to now mine has cost a little `moving and shaking`, £16 for screws and adhesives and a bottle of red wine for the plywood

Comment

Well, she`s ready to rumble...i`m off to Scarborough for the night (and the motorcycle races at Olivers Mount).

TTFN. :so happy:

Comment

Enjoy, Mike. Hope you had a restful night in/on your conversion. it looks very professional.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                            Enjoy, Mike. Hope you had a restful night in/on your conversion. it looks very professional.

Di.
                            Chers Di, was a canny night for 1st attempt (pics to follow).

:so happy:

Comment

Pics of my 1st night away in the Kangoo,

Packed up, ready for the off...

Bed all set up...

The morning after the night before...

Breakfast...

The reason I was there...real road racing,

Comment