No announcement yet.

Table stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacki, if you have a camping table that will fit into your van, I'd suggest you take out the bits that make up the van table, and leave them at home. Microcampers need even more compromise than bigger vans - some of the features that converters of tiny vans put in are never going to be practical. If inside, you can use the slide out table, if outside, use the camping table you already have. Your van is a bit smaller than mine, but I have 3 dogs to accommodate, not 1, so I suspect we are both facing very similar compromises.

Of course, depending on the site booked, I now have to factor in a buggy for my old boy. Sandringham will be OK, as I hope, we will go to the beach, but St Neots and Kingsbury are a different matter.
    Claire

Comment

What would you be using the table for?

I find I rarely need a table outside. I have a little stool and if I need it to be flat to put my coffee or wine on then I put a tray on top. It doubles as extra seating if I have visitors. One like this: https://www.hawkshead.com/regatta-ma...stomer-reviews

Comment

We got the original table with the van but it is so heavy and cumbersome it is in the loft, together with the bed extender as they take up a lot of space and are not very usable in a small van. (The bed extender might be useful but we've never figured out how to actually use it. The fitments to store it upright don't seem to be used when it'sin place as a bed extention.

We too have the folding footstools and they hold our drinks when we are seated outside.

I have experimented with tables etc over the few years we've had Rosa and we have ended up with a lap tray each that has a non slip surface. We eat off them in the van and they stack together and get put in the luton when not in use.

At home we always use a table for meals but camping is different

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post

I find I rarely need a table outside. I have a little stool and if I need it to be flat to put my coffee or wine on then I put a tray on top. It doubles as extra seating if I have visitors. One like this: https://www.hawkshead.com/regatta-ma...stomer-reviews
          Well to put some of the 'stuff' from inside the van onto, rather than dump it onto the floor of the tent. Bending down to pick things up all the time is a struggle for me, so I try never to put things on the floor, as eventually I'm going to have to pick 'em up again!

Yes, I'll be taking a little stool with me, actually the step into the van, but I could use that with a tray. I have always preferred a tray on my knees rather than to sit at a table when camping. So I can do as you do, Caz.

Perhaps, as I will be taking a couple of folding and stacking crates, like these below, I won't need a table!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7657494

Comment

We all camp differently. I rarely put a tent or awning up as I move on a lot after one or two nights, so all my stuff stays in the van. I guess with a smaller van that would be more difficult, although I did it with the VW Trooper on trips of over 3 weeks duration.

Can you cut back on the stuff you carry to save having to have crates full of stuff to move about?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Perhaps, as I will be taking a couple of folding and stacking crates, like these below, I won't need a table!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7657494
              !!!!!!

Comment

the thing is with microcampers, the vehicle will be small, as campers go, which means that extra outdoor space, in the form of an awning or utility tent, is essential. When travelling, everything has to be in the vehicle, which means the car/van may well be packed. On site, most of the essential things can be punted out to an awning or utility tent. The compromise is to carry what is needed for camping, without taking far more than is required. It is a difficult balance, and I know, from experience, how difficult the balance us
                Claire

Comment

I know I had a bit more storage space - but with the Trooper I cut down what I had carried in my previous motorhome so that I didn't have to move anything around when I stopped, or use an awning. A pull out awning would have been handy but I never got round to putting one on. If the weather is nice then the door is open and the outdoors is the living area.
                  The only thing I lifted out was my chair to sit on it. If the weather wasn't good then door shut and sit in the van or go to the pub/cafe.

The awning, outdoor table etc is all more stuff that has to be fitted in and then moved out. Fine if you are staying for a week but not good for my style of mostly moving on after a night or two. I got the airbag switched off so I could travel with the passenger seat swivelled as Reg liked to sit on it when travelling, when I arrived on site all I had to do was turn the gas on and I was ready to camp.

I only carried what I would need and in summer I rarely had EHU so stopped carrying the cable and consequently any equipment that used mains electric - it was surprising how much room that saved me in the cupboards, enough to fit in all the bottles and boxes of wine I brought back from France. Look at everything and think - do I really need it? Unless it is something that, if forgotten, you would have to rush out and buy when you got there, then it isn't essential.

I reckon if BrianTheSnail & Liz can make do in a Romahome Duo for months at a time then a solo, even with a dog, should be able to manage in something smaller.

Comment

...Look at everything and think - do I really need it? Unless it is something that, if forgotten, you would have to rush out and buy when you got there, then it isn't essential.
                    Having just cleared most of the stuff out of my caravan, this is exactly what I'm doing at the mo! It's good advice, so thanks, Caz.

I'll still be taking an awning, and using campsites though. I would never wildcamp on my own, but will often use THSs with no facilities other than the necessary ones!

Comment

I rarely wildcamp on my own, but I never mentioned not using campsites! However, mostly I move on every one or two nights unless I'm at a festival or something and I really can't be faffed with unloading stuff and putting up awnings - did I ever mention I'm basically a very lazy person?

Comment

I rarely wildcamp on my own, but I never mentioned not using campsites! However, mostly I move on every one or two nights unless I'm at a festival or something and I really can't be faffed with unloading stuff and putting up awnings - did I ever mention I'm basically a very lazy person?
                        I think you've got it spot on, Caz. However this little micro camper is really small. I mean, *really* small!

The thing I really don't like about campervans is having to put everything away, even just so you could drive to a shop for a pint of milk. (remembering Kintyre, where the nearest shop was 16 miles from the campsite!) Hence the tent, just throw everything in there, disconnect the hookup, lower the roof and it shouldn't take long. It's a compromise, but one I'm prepared to have a go at, because the caravan was just too much for me. It was taking two days to get over the hitching, towing, pitching, then the same again in reverse to come home again. The last time I came back, I made up my mind I'd had enough of it.

And I've sold the caravan! I put the news on today's daily thread!

Comment

Caz, believe it or not we have 3 awnings, 2 different size Outdoor Revolution Outhouses and and Outdoor Revolution outhouse. It is extremely rare we take any of them away with us though, possibly if we are just going for a few days to meet folks (generally SMHF folks). We have spent a lot of time (and a bit of money) on gradually replacing items in the van that fit better, are smaller, more collapsible or whatever. Many things in our van are dual purpose, our cooker (either Mr D Slow Cooker or Cobb depending on the season) makes part of our bed as do the boxes that hold our clothes and shoes, our back rests are our bed pillows, our scatter cushions contain quilts etc. Almost every trip we find some new, tiny wrinkle that saves a little more space.

Jayjay we try really hard not to go off site in the van when we are there, so on travelling days make sure we buy all the things we need for the next few on-site days, like Caz it is rarely more than a few days in any one place. When we do go off site to shops or pubs then we either walk or take public transport, camping sites are chosen specifically to allow us to do this. Quite often you'll see Liz and I walking slowly back on site with heavy bulging backpacks - a sure sign we ran out of beer the day previous!

Comment

Well, my van is small, but Jacki jayjay has a smaller one. Once I am on site, I pitch the Quechua, put the cool
                            box, chair, dog stuff, plus everything I may need to use in the day, the latter in a large tub trug, in the Quechua. Then I have space and the freedom to unplug the hook up and go off site for a while. The smaller the van, the bigger the compromises, but I am nearly there.
                            Claire

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

And I've sold the caravan! I put the news on today's daily thread!
                              Brilliant news, well done. Took me 15 months to sell my Trooper when I got Winnie.

Comment

You can buy one like that from Go Outdoors and there is a tray that can be fastened onto it.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1589875...table-15898750

But be quick as it seems they are going to go into administration.
                                Last edited by NomadSue; 21-06-2020, 18:41.
                                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X