Silver Screen vs. Polar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Screen vs. Polar

I saw Graham’s review of Silver Screens on here and thought that it would be ideal as we plan to camp all year round. I’ve noticed that there are very similar, but cheaper versions available such as Polar. Can anybody recommend the cheaper ones or is it best to stick to Silver Screen? This is for an Elddis Accordo 105.

Thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by 4degreesWest View Post
    I saw Graham’s review of Silver Screens on here and thought that it would be ideal as we plan to camp all year round. I’ve noticed that there are very similar, but cheaper versions available such as Polar. Can anybody recommend the cheaper ones or is it best to stick to Silver Screen? This is for an Elddis Accordo 105.

Thanks,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Glad you like the video. I've not had experience of Polar to be honest but I would beware of cheaper versions of silver screen, there's probably a reason why they are cheaper.

Hopefully someone will come along who has bought a Polar screen to give you some idea.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We have had a SilverScreen on our Romahome for 10 years, probably 700+ nights use and it is still in decent nick. It was expensive sure, but if you are planning to use it a lot then the quality is worth paying for (IMHO, of course)!

Comment

Thank you . You’ve both confirmed pretty much what I thought.

Comment

We have the Taylormade screen cover. Got it secondhand and used it a lot. Seems fine and shows no deterioration. Previously we bought one of those really cheap one you see on eBay and the like. The ones with the U shaped zip bit. Dreadful piece of junk. The plastic foil with silver coating just broke down. No amount of patching with aluminium foil tape could keep up with it so we binned it. Polar may be fine but I would wander around a few campsites and engage users in a discussion. Feel the quality of the covers and make a judgment based on direct observation. Keep a safe distance these days though.
          Remember, when packed for travelling these things are big and when wet the water dribbles out the carry bag. We travel with ours in the shower tray but not all campers have that facility. I am planning on making a tote bag to fit the cycle rack so the cover can go in that along with the ramps and chairs. We don’t cycle so the thing is just deadweight right now.

Comment

Depends on what campervan you have - silver screen did one to fit my romanhome. Taylor made ones were supposed to be good but they didnt have one in stock which fitted and i would have had to drive my van to the other side of the country so they could make the pattern up.
            I can tell you the silver screen was great quality and really worth the money. They also hold their value well - as people dont tend to sell them very often in my experience - this surely tells you something?

It really does help to keep the heat out of the van on hot days, and reduce condensation on the front windscreen on cold wet days. It also means you dont have to bother with curtains over the front which are often an issue due to the slope on the windscreen.

one thing i will say - Dont um and ah like i did for years!

No idea what Polar are like sorry! They would have to be alot cheaper than Silver Screen or Taylor Made ones if it was my money, im talking about maybe half the price.
            Also with the silver screen/taylormade if you ever get rid of your van you can just sell it on ebay or one a forum, or even whilst camping to someone else.

Comment

I've had Silver screens for all my vans over the years, well worth the money! Keeps the van warm in miserable weather and no need to draw curtains across the cab area at night, mine also pulls down at the front during the day, secured with Velcro. As they are made for a specific vehicle they are an excellent fit. I would certainly recommend them

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X