Camping Cool Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping Cool Boxes

For my first camping trip following the sale of my caravan I thought I'd treat myself to a cool box, one of the 12v/240v ones, my previous one, being reliant on freeze packs being about as useful as a fish's bicycle.

Question: I'm hoping someone might be able to advise me, what if I go on a CS without EHU? That means either A) keeping the coolbox plugged into the Skoda's ciggie lighter, or B) getting a separate leisure battery for that purpose (and others, possibly.) Either way, I don't know how quickly the cool box will drain the battery. I have a CTEK Zaphir 90 battery charger, can I keep it clipped to the battery all the time, to counteract the drain from the coolbox? Without EHU the 12v socket will also be used for keeping my phone charged.
    Cynthia

TBH I think you will be better off with just an ordinary coolbox, Cynthia. If you site them in the shade they keep things cool for a couple of days. Usually sites have a facility to freeze ice packs, and the newer coolboxes are a lot better and more insulated than the older ones. And if staying on a CS/CL with no electric, I would just go to the nearest supermarket and buy a bag of ice cubes (at around £1) to site at the bottom to keep things cool when your ice packs defrost. Putting some frozen foods in the bottom also helps. A pint of milk, frozen takes a day to defrost at room temp, for example.

Or you could buy an icy tek coolbox, they last for up to a week! a 12v coolbox attached to a car battery, well you would need to drive for a little while each day to top up the car battery, I think. If you connected it up to a car charger, wouldn't you need EHU to plug the car charger into?

Here's a link to the icey tek website. Yes, they are expensive, but maybe better than an ordinary cool box. Although a bag of ice in the bottom of an ordinary coolbox and it might be the same thing. The reviews are good on these.

https://www.coolboxesuk.com/shop-onl...ube-boxes.html
    Last edited by jayjay; 27-06-2020, 12:03. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Last summer I took an electric coolbox (Lidl) but I only used it when I was driving or hooked up. I assumed it would drain the battery if I kept it plugged in when parked up. So I made sure I kept a good supply of frozen ice packs / bottles of water to use when it wasn't plugged in. It kinda worked though there was a very very hot week when it was impossible to keep things cool. So I didn't buy anything that needed to be kept chilled, and the coolbox was useful for keeping canned food in.
      Away with the Fairies

Comment

There are those new-fangled electric coolboxes, I think there are a few ppl on here that have them. I think I have one in the camper!

Its a Waeco Tropicool. I know it works on EHU! It plugs into a 12v socket though, so I'm not sure how that works, except I know it's something to do with the zig charger thingy I think!

Comment

When camping in a trailer tent witth my kids, I used to pre-cook and freeze various casseroles etc, keeping the in the coolbox along with additional ice packs. The butter, milk etc kept beautifully, and the frozen casseroles etc lasted for ages, which was great. We still use that stiff-sided coolbox if camping without EHU eg at a festical. (Oh, those were the days!)
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

In our 1958 classic caravan a cool box had been built into the bottom of the wardrobe, I used plenty of the flat freezer blocks, plus at least one frozen meal.
            I also made some bean bags filled with polystyrene beads to go in the top. These were dual purpose as they also fitted onto a tray with Velcro to make lap trays. We could manage a 3 night rally very well with this set up!

Comment

Hi Cynthia.

The only ones that you can use for any length of time plugged in on 12v are the modern compressor cool boxes and fridges. Anything under £250 (more likely £300) is not a compressor, it is a camping coolbox and they will flatten the car battery in a metter of a few hours.

I bought a compressor coolbox from the NEC in February and it is a fabulous bit of kit. How they work is that once they are down to temperature, they just switch on for a few minutes until they are down to temperature again. They just use your camper or caravan 12v leisure battery supply, nothing clever. A solar panel will produce enough charge to make the drain on the leisure batery negligible, so you can use them off grid.

However, I wouldn't recomend them for a car battery as they might drain it and then where would you be? Also, most 12v sockets in a car require you to have the ignition turned on, causing further drain on the battery.

All 12v coolboxes are fine as long as the engine is running. You will have no chance of flattening the car battery.

Dometic Waeco 12v compressor coolbox here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-Coo...3261074&sr=8-2

Not cheap!

Panda
              https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

If you have a fridge, put one or two ice blocks in to keep it cool when not on EHU. (Yes, I know it means even less space in what is already a small fridge, but still worth considering.)
                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  TBH I think you will be better off with just an ordinary coolbox, Cynthia. If you site them in the shade they keep things cool for a couple of days. Usually sites have a facility to freeze ice packs, and the newer coolboxes are a lot better and more insulated than the older ones. And if staying on a CS/CL with no electric, I would just go to the nearest supermarket and buy a bag of ice cubes (at around £1) to site at the bottom to keep things cool when your ice packs defrost. Putting some frozen foods in the bottom also helps. A pint of milk, frozen takes a day to defrost at room temp, for example.

Or you could buy an icy tek coolbox, they last for up to a week! a 12v coolbox attached to a car battery, well you would need to drive for a little while each day to top up the car battery, I think. If you connected it up to a car charger, wouldn't you need EHU to plug the car charger into?

Here's a link to the icey tek website. Yes, they are expensive, but maybe better than an ordinary cool box. Although a bag of ice in the bottom of an ordinary coolbox and it might be the same thing. The reviews are good on these.

Hi Jayjay,

I've not seen the Icey-tek cool boxes before, they are fabulous! Really good value comapred to a compressor fridge. 👍

Panda

Comment

My fridge is working fine on hookup but on gas it is hardly cool ! so i will put ice blocks in but as the electric is working, i assume the fridge is not broken. Can you clean the back of the fridge to get the gas working properly? Any advice would be great as off to camp with no ehu and cant get it looked at before I go. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to any advice. Oh I do have a solar panel which clips to the
                    leisure battery. Would the fridge on electric work form this please or could I damage anything. It is a 2006 Peugeot Mezan

Comment

GAS FRIDGE NOT WORKING -ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SO HELPFUL PLEASE
                      My fridge is working fine on hookup but on gas it is hardly cool ! so i will put ice blocks in but as the electric is working, i assume the fridge is not broken. Can you clean the back of the fridge to get the gas working properly? Any advice would be great as off to camp with no ehu and cant get it looked at before I go. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to any advice. Oh I do have a solar panel which clips to the
                      leisure battery. Would the fridge on electric work form this please or could I damage anything. It is a 2006 Peugeot Mezan

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki View Post
                        Hi Vicki. If it is a factory fitted 3 way fridge, then unfortunately your solar panel won't sustain it off grid.

If I were you, I'd start another thread, a fresh topic, with the title like 'Fridge not working on gas' then those that have dealt with this problem before will see it immediately and jump straight in to help.

Panda

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Cynthia, I have an Icey Tek coolbox, and they are very good indeed.They have thick walls with a lot of insulation, plus excellent seals round the lid. They are designed to be used with loose ice in the box, and ha e a drainage hole, or they work very well with ice packs. Their own Aussie ice pack keeps solid far longer than any other I have used - about 4 days. When on a club site in hot weather,I usually use the Aussie pack, and take a couple of smaller frozen packs with me, then hire ice packs daily from reception, Anywhere else I think the box with my packs would keep cold for about 4 days without additional packs, but a bag of ice from a supermarket would do very well for a low price.

They are expensive, but so would an electric coolbox if you had to buy a leisure battery just for the box. As to your phone, a phone battery bank is a cheap and readily available solution.
                          Last edited by CVJ; 27-06-2020, 13:58.
                          Claire

Comment

I concur with Panda - a 12v coolbox will flatten any battery in a short while. Many times I have seen campers with flat car batteries having to beg jump starts next day after leaving their cool boxes connected overnight.

However, 12v/230v cool boxes can be used with ice packs and will act like a non-electric cool box when not plugged in. I had a very good one that I bought from Aldi for about £30 some years ago - plugged in when driving and then on to the mains on arrival if I had EHU. If no EHU it was still an effective cool box for a weekend, especially if you follow Sue's suggestions of putting frozen stuff in to help it keep cool. I found 2 litre bottles of water were as good as ice packs, freeze at home. When finally thawed out they provide fresh cold drinking water.

If I didn't have a fridge in the van I'd probably buy another. (That one finally packed in after being run 24/7 in my daughter's flat for 6 months, after I'd used it for two years camping including a fortnight in France in high summer, so it was money well spent).

I have no experience of the Icey Tek dog's wotsits type though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
                              Hi Cynthia.

The only ones that you can use for any length of time plugged in on 12v are the modern compressor cool boxes and fridges. Anything under £250 (more likely £300) is not a compressor, it is a camping coolbox and they will flatten the car battery in a metter of a few hours.

I bought a compressor coolbox from the NEC in February and it is a fabulous bit of kit. How they work is that once they are down to temperature, they just switch on for a few minutes until they are down to temperature again. They just use your camper or caravan 12v leisure battery supply, nothing clever. A solar panel will produce enough charge to make the drain on the leisure batery negligible, so you can use them off grid.

However, I wouldn't recomend them for a car battery as they might drain it and then where would you be? Also, most 12v sockets in a car require you to have the ignition turned on, causing further drain on the battery.

All 12v coolboxes are fine as long as the engine is running. You will have no chance of flattening the car battery.

Dometic Waeco 12v compressor coolbox here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-Coo...3261074&sr=8-2

Not cheap!

Panda
                              Thanks Kevin Pandabloke , That's the info I needed! I'd forgotten about the ignition having to be on to use the 12v socket. I looked on the Go Outdoors site last night and noted they have the camping fridge as well as 'duel fuel' (12v/240v) cool boxes. I like the sound of the fridge - more reliable probably but I don't want to pay £250 (and that's their discount card price) whereas the Hi Gear 28L 12v/240v cool box is a penny off £60. So maybe it's a case of sticking to sites with EHU so the coolbox can been used on mains on site, but the 12v socket means I can keep the box cool whilst in transit.

jayjay
                              If you connected it up to a car charger, wouldn't you need EHU to plug the car charger into?

Yes, don't mind me, I think my brain must have disengaged when I typed that sentence....

I don't know what others are doing that keeps their non-powered cool box contents cold - nothing different to what I used to do, but if staying on site for more than a couple of days, inevitably the contents would start going off! It's ok if you're on a site where you can refreeze your icepacks. Because I am trying to cut down my consumption of single-use plastic bags I wouldn't buy a bag of ice cubes!
                              Cynthia

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X