Camping Cool Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Kevin Pandabloke I remember you posting a little while ago that you were happy to live on Pot Noodles for the time you were away! I think if I go on a basic facilities site I shall adopt a similar strategy! I normally eat a well-balanced diet but I'm sure, for the sake of a few days I could manage with convenience food. I can supplement that with plenty of fresh fruit, and my home made veggie stew, pre-prepared and frozen would help to keep my box cool and is very easy just to heat up in a saucepan on the hob. Last week my daughter gave me a box of Kenco cappaccino coffee satchets; it was included as a substitute on their Sainsbury's delivery but not charged for! They thought I'd like it for my camping expeditions - too right! No milk required. You don't eat that ready-made porridge au naturel do you?! Sounds revolting! I don't mind making sacrifices for the sake of convenience, but there are limits....!

Compressor fridge... Is it like this one?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1589480...ridge-15894800

Rob B Thanks for the Coleman recommendation, always useful: haven't heard of the Icey-Tek. The one I was just about to order, from Go Outdoors is the Hi Gear make. Unfortunately it hasn't had any reviews posted. I might look around a bit more yet before making a purchase.

Thanks all, for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Cynthia
    Hi Cynthia,

That one from Go Otdoors is an absorption fridge, like the one's that you would find in a caravan. It's power consumption on 12v was 169ah, which is one and a half 110a/h leisure batteries in 24hrs!

I don't think Go Outdoors sell a compressor fridge.

Panda
    https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Something you might not have thought of, if using Ehu, is a small table top fridge, such as you can buy from argos. These are fine to use when camping, loads of people have them in their camping units and tents. It wouldn't solve the problem when not on Ehu though.

My skoda had "always on" 12v cigar sockets, so I was ok to charge things like mobile and kindle. Previous car didn't, so I just switched on the ignition to the first turn, I didn't have to have the car running to charge mobiles. And I kept an eye on the car with keys in until things were charged!

I know you don't like using single use plastics, none of us do, but I think for a long,stay without ehu, your best option is a good cool box and good freezer blocks, like those Aussie ones mentioned, and a top up with supermarket ice.

the Icey tecs seem expensive, but you only have to buy them once, and by all reports they are a great piece of kit.
      I would happily use one of these on EHU, as, unlike my used once electric coolbox, I am sure they are quite quiet. My real problem would be finding space to carry it. If I had a bigger van with an offside conversion, I would have one out in the Quechua when onsite.
      Claire

Comment

I have one of the Waeco compressor coolboxes. It's the 18L version and in an ambient temperature of about 16°C it draws about 8-12amps/24h to keep it at 2-3°C. Although it draws little I wouldn't want to run it from an engine battery unless you have some means of topping it up again daily or you could take an external spare 12V battery as a power source. The coolboxes are excellent, very quiet and generate very little heat.
        Last edited by karenw; 27-06-2020, 23:20.

Comment

We were tent campers up to autumn 2018. We used two cool boxes, a small 12v unit and a larger 12/230v unit. They work on a Peltier module. The smaller one can reverse and keep things warm. The consumption is about 30w. On main the big one will modulate but it’s fixed at full power in 12v. That’s 2.5A draw on the battery roughly. Work it out for your self. If you have say 90AH in a leisure battery and limit discharge to 30% you have about 27 AH to play with. The cooler will use that in 11 hours. Putting that back in your battery will take some considerable time. We have an 80W solar panel and an MPPT controller. It’s a good day that sees much over 3A and it fluctuates. Driving may take three hours to get that back in at a bit of a guess. I just know I will get a hail of tirades for that from folk who reckon they are experts on battery chemistry but my guess is based on empirical observation.
          my wife uses the big box in the car when she goes shopping in the summer to keep the frozen stuff safe. She has safely left it running (in a Skoda DSG auto) for three hours and our car has always started. She can’t do that in her Toyota because the outlets go off with the engine. Skoda are a bit odd in this respect.
          Peltier modules can go wrong but are cheap to replace if you are handy with a soldering iron. Our Dometic manufactured box stopped working and no request for advice from them got a reply. You have question any company with such contempt for customers. I took it apart, read the part number and bought a new module off eBay for £3. The replacement has lasted longer than the original. The small box was bought in 2007 and still works fine. Only used now on days out in the car. Going to France? These things cost way less there.

Comment

I have a Skoda DSG auto too Timedout , a lovely car. It must be good as I've kept it for 8 years now. I've been inclined to change vehicles every 3 years or so previously. Anyway, my 12v socket works without the ignition being on, but only if you jiggle it. So I'm not sure I'd trust it to keep anything powered without me standing by in jiggle mode.
            Cynthia

Comment

The jiggle must have been an option on your car. I am quite pleased with the Skoda, The gearbox gets a lot of bad press but mine has done nearly 90k now and seems just fine.

Comment

I can recommend the Icey Tek coolboxes, camping friends have one and swear by it. I think they have the smallest a 25L complete with icepack. Expensive but worth it. I would love one but no room so I buy daily with a few tins in reserve for emergency.
                As for charging a mobile phone I have an Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800Ah, paid about £40 for it last year. Fully charged I can get 7/8 recharges on my phone. I can also top it up when driving, so depending on use and recharge i can go 10/14 days.

Comment

Originally posted by fenman View Post
                  I can recommend the Icey Tek coolboxes, camping friends have one and swear by it. I think they have the smallest a 25L complete with icepack. Expensive but worth it. I would love one but no room so I buy daily with a few tins in reserve for emergency.
                  As for charging a mobile phone I have an Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800Ah, paid about £40 for it last year. Fully charged I can get 7/8 recharges on my phone. I can also top it up when driving, so depending on use and recharge i can go 10/14 days.
                  The Power Bank sounds useful if you're going to be off-grid for some time but I don't think I could justify spending that much on a piece of kit that probably wouldn't have much of a practical application for me.

I've heard the Icey Tek boxes are cool (haha! or should that be 'cringe' ) but again, a bit pricey for me. I shall be interested to see how well my new Outwell 12v/230v box works on its first run-out in a few days time. I think its efficiency will depend partly on my memory! - whether I remember to get it nice and cold on mains before I leave home. If I go to a site with no EHU it'll have to revert to being a 'passive cooler' once on site, or I shall drain my car battery. I shall also have to navigate my own way to the site rather than use the satnav. My 12v socket has never been in so much demand.

Thinks: I wonder if the Power Bank has a 12v socket, or whether the Outwell has a USB plug...... Might that be a way of keeping the cool box powered up for a bit longer when off-grid?

Timedout A bit off-topic but does your Skoda's remote locking system have strange effects on the windows sometimes? Or has mine got a gremlin on board? Occasionally when locking the car I hear a whirring noise as I'm walking away from it, turn round to see that the front windows have wound themselves down.....
                  Cynthia

Comment

They are cool boxes not cold boxes.. You will drain your car Battery.. plug in when driving around . its only a coolbox not a fridge.... Camping days and camper van . A bucket of water for the milk { fire bucket} On EHU still a cool box .
                    BuzznDave

Comment

We have a Halfords 12v coolbox that we use in the car from a socket in the boot that is live all the time. Our car battery will run it all day and still start the car but it is so well insulated we do not need to. We usually put an ice block in and if left running all day the ice block stays frozen. We have a mains adapter for it.

When I go away camping with the land rover I take my milk in small cartons which are frozen at home. They keep everything cold for several days without using the 12v.

It wasn't cheap but it gets a lot of use and seems very efficient.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

I shall also have to navigate my own way to the site rather than use the satnav. My 12v socket has never been in so much demand.

A bit off-topic but does your Skoda's remote locking system have strange effects on the windows sometimes? Or has mine got a gremlin on board? Occasionally when locking the car I hear a whirring noise as I'm walking away from it, turn round to see that the front windows have wound themselves down.....

Cynthia
                        you can get a twin socket 12v output for a cigar socket.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocketek-Ch...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Although I would replace the cigar socket you have for a new one. That's if it just doesn't need cleaning. Try a bit of alcohol (some from a hand wash will do) on a piece of kitchen roll, push in and turn it around for a bit, or perhaps a cotton bud and give it a good clean, but don't drown it! You'd be surprised at the crud they get on the contact. You might not need to wiggle it then!

Re. the remote locking/windows problem. I think I mentioned this before, but it could just be the wires that have come loose in the button control box. Lift it out carefully, it just pulls up from the arm of the car door. There are little plugs underneath, rather like telephone socket plugs. Give them a wipe then click them back in and then wrap them around with a piece of insulating tape to stop them coming loose again, they just drop out or come loose sometimes. That solved my problem, but only after I had had two new motors fitted and it started doing it again! I ripped out the button box in a temper, then found out it wasn't the motors, it was actually just the switches that needed plugging in properly! . Hmmmm.

You can also try locking your car using the key, rather than the remote, as that will often cure the problem. Keep the key turned in the lock for a few seconds as though you are going to open the door. The windows will wind down. It's a safety thing, so you can undo the windows from the outside should you need to. Then wind up the windows again using the window switches on the car door. it might just reset the gremlin. And clean the seals on the windows inside and out, so that they run freely, get rid of any green algae, dog hairs, etc., because it will wear the motor down if it is straining to get the windows up and down.
                        Last edited by jayjay; 17-07-2020, 13:52.

Comment

Cigar lighter sockets are made to accommodate a cigar lighter it pushes in . it heats up and pops out.the side metal bits on the plug grip the edges of the socket and hold it tight in./ JJ s advice is good ! re a good clean..sorry but my experience is with it on the 12v or 230 v mains its still a cool box the fan is really annoying .. I do like the Jiggle it about Grenvill option
                          BuzznDave

Comment

I have a modern all singing and dancing low wattage compressor coolbox, but as I'm on EHU at the moment, I've simply used Hettie's onboard 3 way fridge for what little cooling I've needed. When I've popped out for days, I just haven't opened the fridge door and stuff appears to have stayed cool.

I am testing the new Sunncamp frame tent next weekend and everything I take will not require cooling. A jar of instant tea with whitener, sachets of instant coffe with whitener, salami sausage that can go a day day or two without cooling to go with rice and pasta, a can of big soup, Moma porridge that you just add water to, that sort of thing. It's all in the planning. And the rubbish diet, of course....

The most important things are to stop the chocolate from melting and the red wine from getting warm..... Simply sacrilege......

Panda
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

My daughter uses a 12v coolbox connected directly to a 80W (or maybe 100W) solar panel, no battery, on her boat..Works great but obviously only during daylight, but gets cold enough to stay cool overnight. A smaller panel may work but she uses this year round

Comment

Originally posted by Tenkara oni View Post
                                My daughter uses a 12v coolbox connected directly to a 80W (or maybe 100W) solar panel, no battery, on her boat..Works great but obviously only during daylight, but gets cold enough to stay cool overnight. A smaller panel may work but she uses this year round
                                Surely you have to have a battery in the circuit to regulate the power?
                                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X