Alternative to 12v TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to 12v TV

Been reading the discussions re 12v TV's and ariels etc, thought i would share my alternative, fitted two bluetooth speakers (£25) and used an old ipad to load some films from Netflix used a 360 stand which slots straight over the cab bit securely enabling you to lay in bed and view, i know some people like Tv but for me it would be only if the weather " turned"

Looks good!

I have just got rid of my telly our of Hettie. I simply never used it. Not to say I didn't watch a bit of telly , but I use my iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot and can watch all of the various iplayers through that, many of them live, streaming to my MacbookPro. Also, like you, I download films before I leave and watch them last thing at night with a couple of glasses of wine, tucked up in my sleeping bag. Decadent or what!

Setting up the telly and the aerial and whatnot was such a faff!

I have a few free 'dubious' streaming film channels I've found online where I find many recent very films either streaming or available to download and using my wi-fi hotspot, I can do either. I'm watching the new Tom Hanks tonight, Greyhound!

Downloading films or tv shows is indeed an excellent idea for those late nights in the unit.

Panda
    https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Comment

Can you download things on the new kindle or tablet? My old one doesn't any more, although it used to be able to download BBC stuff from the iplayer.

Hi and welcome from me Potsypotts

I have a small bluetooth speaker which I can connect via bluetooth to my old kindle fire HD. I tried to watch something I had saved from Amazon Prime, which might have worked if the signal hadn't been so slow. I think everyone on the campsite had the same idea, as it was raining, and it slowed down the internet connection to buffering for a long time. I gave up in the end.

I do have the BBC sounds app on my phone, which I can also bluetooth to the speaker, so I can listen to series on that.

My little speaker is one of these below, which son#3 bought me for Christmas. Quite adequate in a van, and charges from a kindle charger. I can also connect it to my TV, but via a headphones lead, as my tv doesn't have bluetooth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/12350242188...yABEgKhyfD_BwE

Comment

We also use an iPad and wedge it above the cab area for viewing from the seats or in bed. We stream tv using 4G or download in advance. I bought a small tv tuner called an Elgato Eye Tv, around the size of a matchbox. It has an aerial which is picked up by the iPad on WiFi. It works at home but I can’t get it to work out and about. So, we stick to streaming on 4G or downloads.

Comment

up till now my TV licence was free. . so We either do some thing Now from August else ....or pay a licence and watch HOME AND AWAY last year 90night s away year before 120 nights. And as we are 12v and Gas . No ehu . 100 nights at £25 to £25 a night . too much for a OAP.. and there was a Tv In pod now in Dinky . Had the same problem with Kindle still it is there for a read . Can you charge the Mac book on 12v ???
          BuzznDave

Comment

I don't tend to watch anything while away, I'm happy with the radio and BBC sounds but the kids take their Amazon Fire tablets with a few programmes downloaded at home beforehand.
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

you can get a 75 watt 12volt to 240 volt converter to charge the laptop while you are travelling from one spot to another or a small 12 volt to 19 volt to do the same. we use our laptop with a small tv dongle but mostly we take downloaded tv programs and watch last thing at night before we sleep once when i forgot the laptop we watched star-trek on the samsung S9+ and after 5 minutes it was actually watchable, fell asleep so never saw the end
              (not really suitable for dell they use battery to laptop telemetry to check if the charger is getting enough power)
              kyran

Comment

Originally posted by Dave and Pat View Post
                Had the same problem with Kindle still it is there for a read . Can you charge the Mac book on 12v ???
                I found this charger on Amazon, Dave. There are a few others for the macbook, so read the reviews before you buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Mac...0and%20cabins.

This one is currently unavailable on Amazon, but there will be other websites selling them, I would think, or a computer store like PC world.

Comment

I have a MacBook and it is beyond my ken as to why Apple don't produce a 12v power unit for it. I too would have to go down the road of sticking a cheap Chinese charger in the van if I want to use it. Fortunately Liz and I are competent enough on our phones to be able to use them for pretty much everything in the van so we only very rarely take a computer. Writing blog entries on the phone keypad is a little less pleasant than using a computer but once you get used to it it's not too bad.

As for TV etc, we never watch anything - I do have a small Bluetooth speaker if we want to listen to Audiobooks but we rarely even do that, our reading and craft (and going down the pub) is enough to keep us occupied. For us the van is all about getting away from the stuff we waste far too much time on at home - i.e. tele and computers! Mind you when I eventually get a solar panel sorted out the van may become a bit more tech blinged!

Comment

we use the Caravan to get away from stuff at Home and pubs..and Computors .There some good films on Freesat .for the odd night for a film show...
                    BuzznDave

Comment

Dave, the computer is used for the same purpose as your TV. Watching TV and movies........

I charge my MacBook Pro with a simple but reasonable quality Bestek 150 watt inverter. They do draw down a few amps between them, but needs must.

Panda

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

I found this charger on Amazon, Dave. There are a few others for the macbook, so read the reviews before you buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Mac...0and%20cabins.

This one is currently unavailable on Amazon, but there will be other websites selling them, I would think, or a computer store like PC world.
                        Unfortunately that isn't the right one for newer MacBooks, Jayjay, but good shout. I think I did find one or two out there when I was looking but in the end it was cheaper to by an aftermarket pattern MacBook Pro 240v charger and a cheap inverter. Also then you get a spare USB C cable which Apple insists is the right tool for the job (no standard USB ports....). Oh and it isn't ,you need a USB C to USB cable before you can play in the real world..... The Macbook is a fabulous tool as long as you faff about a bit......

I also discovered some generic USB C 12v accesory socket chargers, like the USB type that we use in the car to charge our phones. Again these had big wattages, some in excess of 75 watt (you need 60 watt to charge the Pro at normal speed, I believe), but the prices were horrendous and I was a bit concerned about these flimsy looking things dragging 6 or 7 amps through an accessory socket. I probably shouldn't be concerned as most accessory sockets are fused at 10amp (120 watt), or more, but it just seemed a lot through such a small item filled with electronics.

I'll stick with me Heath Robinson method for the time being. But as Brian says, surely Apple are missing a trick here.

Panda

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X