This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windscreen insulation

Hi. Has anyone ever tried radiator thermal foil roll for this? I have a Nu Venture Surf... Anyone else out there?

Hiya Pantha,
    A warm welcome to this friendly forum, yes I made some for the front side windows of a Fiat Ducato Reimo van I had. I wanted them really as blackout screens, and for that they were great, they did also help to keep the heat in too. I bought a roll of the foil from Wickes, took a pattern with newspaper, and made a sandwich of foil with bubblewrap filling! Think I sealed them with strong parcel tape and made a couple of 'tabs' at the top to be trapped in the window top.
    They would stand one fold for storage but weren't very flexible or durable.... however well worth doing especially for no more than about £3/4 a piece!

All the best
    Andyvan

Comment

Originally posted by andyvan View Post
      ...yes I made some for the front side windows of a Fiat Ducato Reimo van I had. ...
      Thanks...I might have to try something similar. I've had no luck getting screens for my Doblo (one site had an internal front screen, but they're out of stock) so I might have to make my own
      Neil

Comment

I used Thermawrap from Homebase but available elsewhere, it's two silver layers with bubble wrap inside. Cost about £18 for a roll. Cut pieces to fit the insides of all the glass windows on my Autosleeper Frisky and it worked very well at keeping the van warmer in winter.

The difficulty is keeping the sheets in place - read somewhere that you could punch holes for big eyelets and push those clear plastic suction cup hooks (that they sell for hanging up Christmas decorations) through to secure them to the glass, but never got round to doing that.

When not in use I kept them rolled rather than folded, in a big Sainsburys shopping bag.

Comment

I did something similar (made window covers) for the Kangoo mpv, but being a tight sod I bought 4 x silver screen sunshade things from the £1 shop and cut two of them up, others cover front and rear windows. Total cost £4

Comment

I don't know how well it'd fit your van, but Peak Outdoors stock a 'universal' external screen. One side is fabric, and the other is silver.https://www.peak-outdoors.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=1770

I assume 'universal' means it fits everything equally badly. I have one for my new van, but I've not tried it on yet. I wanted an external one for winter as well, so I'm prepared to modify it if I need to.

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

I was looking at Tesco's value gym/yoga mats today - silvered on one side, thin foam the other, and wondered whether they'd be useful. Under a fiver, I think, for a person-sized oblong.

HTH

MOS

Comment

I bought some car sunshades from wilkos for around £1.99, which come with two suckers already attached. Then I bought some more sucker thingys from Ebay and put another two at the bottom. Stuck to the inside of the windows, they are quite good at keeping the heat in and there's a lot less condensation on the glass in the mornings.

You can get bespoke silver screens for the purpose, which go on the outside, but they were too costly for me!

Comment

All I can say is that our genuine Silver Screens have been worth their weight in gold.. If Silverscreens or Silver products don't make them for your van they may sell you the material.

Peter

Comment

Berlingo Silver Screens For Sale

Anyone looking for Berlingo Siver Screens ??
                    Try here

External Silver Screen for Romahome Duo Berlingo 2001 Very Good Condition £50
                    Tel : 01246 416985
                    Private Ad
                    Located in Derbyshire area £50 ono

Alf

Comment

I bought my internal screens from Towsure for about £35 and trimmed them to size.

Comment

Try looking here
                        http://www.ludospace.com

Peter

Comment

I camp all year round and have tried internal screens versus external screens.
                          A padded external screen gives far greater insulation and I suggest that the Thermowrap cut and edged with Gorilla tape or a similar product will serve you well.Make long tabs or attatch nylon ribbons to tie to wing mirrors,door handles,and a couple of longer tabs to trap in the top of the door and the front lower edge is clamped under the windscreen wiper. You will be snug and private.
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X