As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good camping light wanted - any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good camping light wanted - any suggestions?

Hi, I need a good camping light. Any recommendations?

I hate LED stuff and also wind-up lights, can't be doing with winding something up every five minutes! Led lights tend to give me headaches!

any suggestions? I need something that is a good light, for general lighting and also for reading, when not on EHU. I have a couple of spots, but the so called 'leisure battery' the van came with is actually a car battery... but as it only powers a couple of spots I thought I could do away with that altogether. I don't have twin electrics anyway, so it's not going to charge whilst on the move. I will eventually get the twin elecs and leisure battery, but until then... I need a good camping light!

This sort of light should suit, you can use rechargable batts if you want. It is in the SMC accessory store

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ges/B001XUR9T6
    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Derek's link only shows the illustration for some reason.

Here's a link to the page with the price on etc.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B001XUR9T6
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Going back to my tent days, I used to use a 12 volt strip light. It was powered either by the cigar lighter socket, or directly from the car battery using crocodile clips. 8 watts (or 2 x 8 if double) is unlikely to drain the car battery with normal use. I always carry jump leads even now.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Derek's link only shows the illustration for some reason.
          I couldn't see the direct link to your store, I have now sussed it

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmocampin-21
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

That looks a good one, thanks to you all!

If anyone has any other suggestions... I'm in no rush as hope to have EHU for most of my trips out this year anyway... but I like to carry a light anyway, in case of emergency! Also looks good for taking the dog a walk at night as well!

Comment

How about a Coleman petrol lantern? Plenty of light - and luverly and warm this weather. Too hot for summer use, though !!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha View Post
                How about a Coleman petrol lantern? Plenty of light - and luverly and warm this weather. Too hot for summer use, though !!

Mike
                They are good, but I don't fancy the petrol smell in the caravan. I was originally thinking of buying a gas-operated light though.. then I thought that wouldn't be too portable!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  They are good, but I don't fancy the petrol smell in the caravan. I was originally thinking of buying a gas-operated light though.. then I thought that wouldn't be too portable!!!
                  There's a gas light in the accessories store

HERE
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Gas Lights

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    JayJay,
                    please be very careful, I have used gas lights the mantles are fragile and dont like travelling.Also they get fantastically hot, real danger of burns and fire, and they chuck out CO2 like a fire extinguisher.All manufacturers say do not use under cover or inside.
                    I am looking forward to meeting you, preferably at wolverley, not the east midlands burns unit.

yes, I am a worrier, but I have seen an outfit burn.horrifying and fast.
                    Stick to batteries, the low voltage strip connected to car battery is good.
                    Ian
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                      JayJay,
                      please be very careful, I have used gas lights the mantles are fragile and dont like travelling.Also they get fantastically hot, real danger of burns and fire, and they chuck out CO2 like a fire extinguisher.All manufacturers say do not use under cover or inside.
                      I am looking forward to meeting you, preferably at wolverley, not the east midlands burns unit.

yes, I am a worrier, but I have seen an outfit burn.horrifying and fast.
                      Stick to batteries, the low voltage strip connected to car battery is good.
                      Ian
                      Bless you for worrying about me, Ian! Don't worry, I don't think a gas light is suitable for a caravan anyway. The gaz ones give out a lot of heat, I knew someone who camped in a tent with one, very impressive light but I think I will have something battery operated.

Years ago, my parents had a van with those little gas mantles you speak of. I remember Dad cursing as he tried to fit new ones, they seemed to be made of dust! And crumbled in your fingers... Then Mum would go to light them and stick a match through them - so start again from the beginning!

I think the independant gas lights they make nowadays have changed since then though! However, I just need light, not heat, so I'm still looking around for the best one. The reviews are guiding me along, I'm glad so many ppl have made the time to review all the different ones!

Comment

12 volt Strip Light

Something like "THIS" maybe

Comment

Hi Jakmarie!

I already have something like that in the 'van, but I haven't got a decent leisure battery and also don't have a towbar with twin electrics, only single and so I thought, until I have the money for a new leisure battery, something independent of any wiring might do the job.

Comment

Whatever light you end up with, I am a great fan of a head light (the type that is held on your head by an elasticated band) they are good for emergencies or quick trips to the loo in the middle of the night and good for reading.

Comment

Headtorches tend to be LEDs though, and Jayjay said she didn't want LED, which is a shame because there are a lot of very good LED camping lights that run on small batteries nowadays and the LED ones' batteries last for a very long time, not like the old heavy camping lights that used D2s and you had to buy new batteries every weekend.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X