As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable power packs - electricity on the go

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable power packs - electricity on the go

any thoughts on these ? like a big battery that has an invertor built in. Best and worst models ? i have one like this.....
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255204

not really got to pressure test it yet. Easy to move around and charge up in the house. How do these type of things compare to heavy duty leisure batteries ?
    thanks

Originally posted by RomaDenizen View Post
    any thoughts on these ? like a big battery that has an invertor built in. Best and worst models ? i have one like this.....
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255204

not really got to pressure test it yet. Easy to move around and charge up in the house. How do these type of things compare to heavy duty leisure batteries ?
    thanks
    None of these things seem to have a capacity rating marked. There may be info. in the instructions. The Wattage rating only indicates the maximum current flow at an unspecified voltage, but not for how long.
    A leisure battery is big because it has a respectable capacity measured in Amp.Hrs. A 100 A.H battery will at 12 Volts supply 1 Amp for 100 hours (12Watts) or (in theory because it would destroy the battery) 100 Amps for 1 hour (1200Watts) and any sensible multiple of Amps times hours in between equalling 100. Hence, it would deliver 300Watts at 12Volts (at 25 Amps) for 4 hours. Still high enough to possibly damage the battery if maintained that long.

If you need battery power regularly stick with a conventional battery.
    I think these devices are more for emergencies and like most multiple use items do lots of things, but none of them terribly well.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 22-11-2011, 12:22.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I use the 40amp Ring version and it's served me well for powering my netbook, recharging my phone and camera batteries and, secretly, powering my leccie blanket in bursts on a timer during icy nights.

It's second-best to a conventional leisure battery but I can't fit the former in my van (with split charger) due to insurance restrictions so it's the next best thing and can be charged via the lighter socket while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        I use the 40amp Ring version and it's served me well for powering my netbook, recharging my phone and camera batteries and, secretly, powering my leccie blanket in bursts on a timer during icy nights.

It's second-best to a conventional leisure battery but I can't fit the former in my van (with split charger) due to insurance restrictions so it's the next best thing and can be charged via the lighter socket while driving.
        Hi Karen - what exactly are you using (brand name)?

Comment

Originally posted by maid of soay View Post
          Hi Karen - what exactly are you using (brand name)?
          As above, Ring 40ah power pack!!

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automot...2145659&sr=8-1

Comment

I got one from Halfords, I love it, we have a mobile home on a field with a generator and this is great for lamps, mobile phones and laptop... Wouldn't be without it. I bought it to start the battery on my car in winter as it would never start.. So simple to use it would start straight away.. New car now but would get rid of it and will be taking it away with me with my new Romini
            MS.RoMiNi

Comment

One downside with these all in one things is that they have a poor recharge repeat rating - there is a technical term for that - but means they only stand a certain number of recharges before they go dead.
              I have seen figures of 60-70 quoted.
              Would be better - though not as convenient or pretty - to get a reasonable leisure battery and buy a separate inverter. we use a 300w one that does most stuff.
              Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

A leisure batter and split-charge relay plus inverter would be much more efficient. However, for those of us without a campervan or motorhome insurance policy there are insurance implications...

Once I mention a leisure battery to an insurer they don't want to know and refuse to quote for the 'modified' vehicle so a battery pack, which would be an 'item in transit' or carried to assist in a potential breakdown, is the easiest way around this problem. Of course, there would be no problem in including a leisure battery and split-charger on a motorhome policy.

Comment

Hi Karen

If you have a towbar in your van you could legitmately have the caravan grey socket fitted. Many caravanners used to have an extra connection to the charging part of this wiring inside the car to charge an extra battery in a box which is portable. I am sure that that would get round the insurance problem as you "spare" battery would do the same job as a power pack.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                    Hi Karen

If you have a towbar in your van you could legitmately have the caravan grey socket fitted. Many caravanners used to have an extra connection to the charging part of this wiring inside the car to charge an extra battery in a box which is portable. I am sure that that would get round the insurance problem as you "spare" battery would do the same job as a power pack.

Peter
                    Ahhhh! I like this idea!

I don't have a towbar on my van because I'm currently planning to change it over the winter but the next vehicle will need one to tow a small trailer. If insurers will accept this then it will be the answer to what's become a real problem and a good leisure battery would be much more suitable than the second-best power pack. Thank You for the idea.

Comment

I used to have a power pack, was handy when tent camping and no EHU for lights, phone charging etc.

But it only lasted about 3 years before it refused to charge again.

So I went back to battery lights and charging the phone in the car if needed.

Saves the weight and finding a space for it.

Comment

Same as Caz - I charge my phone from the car, and also the 12v tv, which has an internal 3hr rechargable battery if I don't have EHu. The only thing I have in the caravan on 12v are the lights, so the small leisure battery I do have powers them for approx a week or more.

I did think about getting one of these, but it adds to the weight of the caravan and is quite bulky to store. My dad had one which no longer charges either, although he has only used it a few times in 3 years, it will no longer charge.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          The only thing I have in the caravan on 12v are the lights, so the small leisure battery I do have powers them for approx a week or more.
                          If your light bulbs have conventional bayonet caps and you change the bulbs to LEDs, which are so cheap off ebay, your battery will last for weeks jayjay.
                          I mostly rely on LEDs, which is why I don't usually bother with EHU, though my van is equipped for it. I don't have a fridge now, but when I did I still found it was generally cheaper to run it on gas than pay for EHU.
                          Jim.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                            If your light bulbs have conventional bayonet caps and you change the bulbs to LEDs, which are so cheap off ebay, your battery will last for weeks jayjay.
                            I mostly rely on LEDs, which is why I don't usually bother with EHU, though my van is equipped for it. I don't have a fridge now, but when I did I still found it was generally cheaper to run it on gas than pay for EHU.
                            Jim.
                            I was thinking about changing the bulbs for LEDs, however the two lights I use the most are large oblong ones, approx 12-14" x 4" x 4" and a couple of little spots which I hardly use as they are hopeless! I#m not sure if you can get the leds for strip lights.

Comment

Yes you can. Contact Aten lighting and they will sort you out.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X