This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking appliances

Discussion of double skillets seems to have gone cold. Is there news of their current availability?

We bought the three-tier stainless steel steamer recommended on this Forum from Wilkinsons and extraordinarily good value at £10. But I had assumed that only the middle steamer would be perforated. With the top one perforated we can't put soft or liquid objects in there, which is a snag. When dinghy camping in my youth we heated tinned steak on an enamel plate over a saucepan of boiling vegetables, the saucepan lid capping all, and I had assumed the same facility would be available.

A separate container within the second or third tier might solve the problem, but it might need a handle to get it out. To be topical, I suppose a Christmas pud in plastic could cope.

We would have difficulty accommodating a double skillet AND a three-tier steamer, plus or minus a small kettle!

Paul.
    Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

they appear to be available here http://www.doubleskillet.com/index.p...skillet-large/
    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

My comment arose from reports that the company is or was unable to supply. Have people received new ones recently? The reported hiatus was over aluminium supplies.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
        We would have difficulty accommodating a double skillet AND a three-tier steamer, plus or minus a small kettle!

Paul.
        Leave room for a Remoska ..........as a new convert I cannot stop preaching its virtues. Electricity down 17% last month - stomach circumference up 25% (scrummy roast potatoes)
        Mary

Comment

They said they had large skillets, and were expecting new stock of the small ones in at the end of the month. I'm giving it a couple more days then going to ask about ordering a small one again.

Comment

Discussion of double skillets seems to have gone cold. Is there news of their current availability?

We bought the three-tier stainless steel steamer recommended on this Forum from Wilkinsons and extraordinarily good value at £10. But I had assumed that only the middle steamer would be perforated. With the top one perforated we can't put soft or liquid objects in there, which is a snag. When dinghy camping in my youth we heated tinned steak on an enamel plate over a saucepan of boiling vegetables, the saucepan lid capping all, and I had assumed the same facility would be available.

A separate container within the second or third tier might solve the problem, but it might need a handle to get it out. To be topical, I suppose a Christmas pud in plastic could cope.

Paul.
            Well if you'd kept your enamel mug from same camping days you could maybe try putting your soft/liquid stuff in there inside perforated steamer section while you boil something in the base.

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
              Well if you'd kept your enamel mug from same camping days you could maybe try putting your soft/liquid stuff in there inside perforated steamer section while you boil something in the base.
              I steamed two chicken breasts in mine. I steamed them first, just with the base filled with water and the chicken in the top perforated bit. Then I put them to one side, drained the water away, then I cooked the veg in clean water/steam, then put the chicken back on the top just to warm up again, so meat veg and pots all ready at the same time to serve. I also do fish the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                I steamed two chicken breasts in mine. I steamed them first, just with the base filled with water and the chicken in the top perforated bit. Then I put them to one side, drained the water away, then I cooked the veg in clean water/steam, then put the chicken back on the top just to warm up again, so meat veg and pots all ready at the same time to serve. I also do fish the same way.
                ------------------------
                Jayjay, you never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity. Will try this at home - after all, we now have TWO steaming towers (one for the house and one for the van.) thanks.
                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Jayjay: Why did you tip away perfectly good hot water that may even have been full of nutrients?

And how long did you boil the chicken?

Paul.

Comment

Jayjay: Why did you tip away perfectly good hot water that may even have been full of nutrients?

And how long did you boil the chicken?

Paul.
                    I steamed the chicken for approx 20 minutes, Paul. Just using the bottom pan with water and the next layer for the chicken fillets. The water at the bottom tends to get oily and scummy from the cooking chicken fillets, so thats why I tipped it away and used fresh water. Then the potatoes in that, the broccoli (or similar) in the middle, steam away, then five minutes before serving, the chicken breasts back at the top, just to bring them back up to temp.

It is possible if you're not fussy to just put all three on and leave for 15-20 minutes. All will cook, as will a fish dish on the top. But I guess I'm just fussy!

Edited to add: you can put those boil-in-the-bag fish fillets/sauce on the top without changing the water!
                    Last edited by jayjay; 05-12-2011, 10:36.

Comment

cooking while camping.

being a chap of a solo disposition,I use a small attractively marked piece of plastic approximately 5 cms by 8 cms.
                      I use it thuswise:
                      Boldy enter any boutique selling comestibles ,wave aforesaid piece of plastic at rubicund fellow behind the jump saying "I wish to see the me & you"
                      Sit at a reasonably clean table tell oily waiter or cross eyed waitress what precisely I will engulf at this sitting, when food arrives eat it.wave plastic at rubicund mine host,for we are now on familiar terms and he calls me Sir.he will take it, put it into some piece of eastern wizardry and soon I am on my way to a quiet Siesta and digest.

I commend this practise to you all.
                      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

cooking while camping

I like it! great for winter camping.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X