This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB adapter for socket in R20

We wanted an additonal USB adapter for charging phones, kobo, tablet, camera, etc and found this one on Amazon.

Belkin F8Z445ea USB car charger
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00325APHI

It is better than the one we used before because it is smaller and does not stick out too far from the cooker/fridge unit also it is easier to remove from the socket - I was nervous that we may cause some damage trying to remove the other one as it was too tight.

However it is too short for the charger in the cab, which is not a problem as the plan is to have one charger in the living area, one in the cab (and a third in our Fiat Punto) so that we only need to carry round the USB leads.

Sue
    Geoff

Sue - both Liz and I have Android phones which have USB leads to charge them so we need two USB sockets in both the cab and in the rear.

We settled on these : http://tinyurl.com/chnjk3a, as well as 2 USB ports they give us two cigarette light ports in both the cab and rear. Essential in the cab, of course because we need our GPS powered so couldn't afford to lose the 12v socket. The cab one lives in situ permanently and the rear one only gets pulled out of its home in the pelmet when we need it (i.e. every night).

Comment

Unfortunately I can't open your link, Artoo0. this is the one that I have ordered from Amazon:

150W Watt Car Vehicle Caravan Van Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 220V Peak Power Output 350 W USB Adapter Auto

Am hoping I have ordered the right one and that it will suffice for running a portable dvd player, re-chargers etc. in my R20.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Thanks for the links for usb/12v outlets, will be useful for my new Kindle.

Sue, we use a 300w inverter which has always run everything required, even a large domestic CRT TV once (!) so your 150w should be just right for most camping uses.
        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Just picked this one up.
          Sue, an inverter will still draw a small amount of power from your battery when you are not using it, so remember to unplug it from the 12 volts after use. Also remember that you don't get owt for nowt and that if you are drawing 150 watts from your inverter, you are taking about 12.5 amps from your leisure battery!!! (plus a small operating current) If you are not on a hook up charger, your battery will soon discharge.
          Jim
          :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

Originally posted by jimish View Post
            Just picked this one up.
            Sue, an inverter will still draw a small amount of power from your battery when you are not using it, so remember to unplug it from the 12 volts after use. Also remember that you don't get owt for nowt and that if you are drawing 150 watts from your inverter, you are taking about 12.5 amps from your leisure battery!!! (plus a small operating current) If you are not on a hook up charger, your battery will soon discharge.
            Jim
            Thank you - useful advice. I find it hard enough to remember to switch from the leisure battery to the main one used for driving, when setting off...The number of times I have driven 20-30 miles before remembering that and the main gas knob!

Now I have a regular checklist: fridge and gas fully off, change battery over, secure all mugs etc, etc)
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I bought a new (sealed box) MotorMonkey set on eBay for £4:99 including Fed Ex next day delivery.

Comment

That does look a natty set.

Di.

Comment

Hi Cal, nice set, a name to remember MotorMonkey and wow very cheap,
                  Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                  'Live without regrets'

Comment

I bought an adapter from e bay that plugs in to car socket like a cigarette lighter with a USB output for around 99p and free delivery from China !

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X