As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS and sat navs

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS and sat navs

Following a thread about new vans which got diverted into a discussion re geocaches (my fault!)...

I love my sat nav, though would always have a good local map to back it up. The sat nav gives me more confidence when out exploring new places / towns alone. It usually tells me correctly when to exit a motorway / take the next left, or whatever, in case I have not remembered that memorised bit of the journey.

It has struck me that a GPS device would be a good thing to own as I admit to getting nervous when exploring countryside / forest walks if on my own. Panic has made me turn round and re-trace my steps rather than trust what I think is the last stage of a walk through a forest.This drearful fear of getting lost!

So does anyone have any experience of these things? I mean of the specilised device rather than upgrading my phone to an all-singing, all-dancing one with inbuilt GPS.
    Carpe diem! :)

Our son has got one which he uses for his geocaching, I must say it is very impressive, ideal for walking, saves taking a cumbersome map and compass, they are quite expensive though and depending on how long you want to walk for I think the battery time is limited.

His GPS ran out of battery once and he was stranded not knowing how to get back to civilisation and it was getting dark, however he probably forgot to fully charge it. He did manage to get back eventually, more by luck than judgement.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

gps

I think I have mentioned before that I am keen to go geocaching as it does seem an ideal hobby to incorporate into camping trips.
      I bought a very low key Garmin E-trex H which a geocaching book said would be fine. It does need a cable to attach to the computer but for some reason I cannot get my head around how to use it!
      I know there are much better models available but all the devices are very expensive and I feel I should use the one I have before splashing out more money.

Any advice gratefully received. Perhaps we could have a geocaching meet!

Lizzie

Comment

You're on, Lizzie! It certainly would appear to be an activity that would link in nicely to wandering around in the van. Get us to explore places we might not have visited otherwise.

What a pity that fuel is so expensive!

Comment

Hi Lizzie. I also have a Garmin eTrex H and after learning how to use it, I find it very accurate. You should have a disc with it which will give you the owners manual beside the quick start but if you go to utube there is a very good video on how to use it which lasts about 13 mins.
          I'll try and find the address for you.
          Also the only drawback with the eTrex is that you have to put the coordinates in by hand and I think the extra cables etc are quite expensive. My fingers get quite tired and sore after inputting half a dozen coordinates.

Comment

Hi Nomadsue2012, Please remember that if you are in dense woodland or forest that the GPS might not get a good signal. That means that it could seem to go a little bit haywire!

Comment

Also type in the 'Quick Start Guide' at the same address

Comment

We have an Garmin Etrex HC which we find excellent. Used it over 18 months and never let us down. Only replaced batteries once. Our cables came with it, and hubby just clicks on "send to gps" on co-ordinates page and it's all done for you, no typing in at all. Hope this helps, if u want anymore info just ask

Comment

Perhaps the Garmin eTrex HC is a higer grade or more expensive model than the eTrex H. Glad you're still happy with it after 18 months. Other people who have the H model seem to be pleased with it, so I'm looking forward to many years of usage.

Comment

We bought the Etrex H first then up graded to HC when we realised that geocaching was something we both loved. Was worth the extra money.

Comment

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                      Hi Nomadsue2012, Please remember that if you are in dense woodland or forest that the GPS might not get a good signal. That means that it could seem to go a little bit haywire!
                      That makes sense but thanks for the warning. Of course, I could always take breadcrumbs with me...!

Comment

Gps

Thank you for your info Maria. I think I must make the effort to access a cable to connect the E trex to the internet so that I can download cache directions etc. I have been put off by the price. There are some on ebay which are much cheaper but seem to need quite a high level of tech expertise to activate.
                        I bought this gps several years ago so it would be lovely if a few of us could get together and I could finally do a little treasure hunting. It always seems easier if someone shows you how to do something rather than learning from a book. I will have a look at the youtube site though.

Lizzie

Comment

usb cable

Hi lizzie,
                          One of these should fit your garmin
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-PC-US.../dp/B000196C20
                          arrange the meet then we can all learn as you say,

Comment

We belong to a walking and outdoor activity group and our members include National Park Rangers, mountain rescue team members and various other people with advanced navigation training.

The first thing any of them will tell you about GPS is that they are a supplement, but NOT a substitute for a map and compass. They're great for confirming that you're where you want to be, and that you're progressing in generally the right direction. But they're not great for the precise details of the required route and over-reliance can be downright lethal.

We had a perfect illustration of this a couple of years back when we encountered a solo walker, standing at the rim of a sheer 100+ foot drop, while gazing bemusedly at his GPS which he reckoned was telling him telling him to go straight on.

You need a map to plan your route, and then your GPS can be used to check your progress against it.
                            Geoff

Comment

Gps

I have to confess to not being one of natures organisers - especially of meets! Perhaps when the weather improves a little a campsite could be suggested within sensible travel range of the geocachers and we could congregate for a weekend of learning from the ones who are already au fait with the joys of the gps and then go out and try and find some of the caches nearby.

Artoo is correct. It is always made clear in any geocaching books or websites that a map and compass are essential walking equipment.
                              I have always wanted to go on a course on use of maps and a compass as I am not good at using those either. Really I dont think I should be allowed out alone!

Could I count on some compass lessons as well?

Lizzie

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X