As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

basic/daft Awning question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    basic/daft Awning question...

    Hi,
    when I bought my van it came with a Khyam awning which I've test-erected on my parent's lawn, but I'm still left with a question. If I'm parked on hardstanding, how can I 'peg-out' a tent? The pegs I have are fine in soil, but I doubt if they'd hammer through tarmac or hold in gravel. And I'm sure If I managed to hammer them in, the site owner would disapprove of the holes...

    I've either made a fundamental error about what hard-pitches are made of, or I need some special pegs. Advice please?

    #2
    Originally posted by JimD View Post
    Hi,
    when I bought my van it came with a Khyam awning which I've test-erected on my parent's lawn, but I'm still left with a question. If I'm parked on hardstanding, how can I 'peg-out' a tent? The pegs I have are fine in soil, but I doubt if they'd hammer through tarmac or hold in gravel. And I'm sure If I managed to hammer them in, the site owner would disapprove of the holes...

    I've either made a fundamental error about what hard-pitches are made of, or I need some special pegs. Advice please?
    ---------------------------
    Er, is there when we are supposed to use steel pegs? Good point about maybe damaging the pitch surface.

    Could always weight down the edges with lots of heavy tins etc (I've done that before with a trailer tent.)
    Carpe diem! :)

    Comment


      #3
      Hi Jim
      The answer is that 'hard standings' are designed to keep your wheels from sinking but allow you to hammer in tent pegs. But the tent pegs that you need are called a variety of names, usually rock pegs, and are sold on most campsites where they have hard standings, and most camping shops. Would suggest you buy a peg puller and a substantial mallet to go with them.
      Hope this allays your fears of upsetting campsite owners.
      Colin

      Comment


        #4
        Most hard standing pitches can be pegged into, they are usually some sort of compacted rubble/clay so you just need to get some rock pegs. There are a few types to choose, we use some that look like huge nails with a plastic top. They are available at most camping shops and no doubt through the amazon forum shop!! We have stayed on a pitch that was block paved, then we had to park up right at the edge of he paving to put the awning on the grass. The pegs that are supplied with most awnings are useless, we leave them at home an always use the more substantial rock pegs. We use a claw hammer the hammer them in and the claw to pull them out afterwards.

        Edit: just looked on amazon, around £8-£10 for 20 of the type we use, if you are buying from there, click on the amazon link at the bottom of the forum and the forum gets a small commision and it doesn't cost you any more!
        Last edited by glenw; 17-01-2012, 21:46.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by JimD View Post
          Hi,
          when I bought my van it came with a Khyam awning which I've test-erected on my parent's lawn, but I'm still left with a question. If I'm parked on hardstanding, how can I 'peg-out' a tent? The pegs I have are fine in soil, but I doubt if they'd hammer through tarmac or hold in gravel. And I'm sure If I managed to hammer them in, the site owner would disapprove of the holes...

          I've either made a fundamental error about what hard-pitches are made of, or I need some special pegs. Advice please?
          Hard standings are usually made of small clinker,or small hard core,or split pebbles,not tarmac or concrete.You can peg in using steel pegs,plastic wont pentrate.I use rock pegs,they are an 8inch nail with a small welded cross piece to stop the guy slipping off.Some sites ask you to back to the edge of the hard standing and put the awning on grass. The C&CC use a novel form of hardstand,it is a plastic grid that the grass grows through and you can peg out easily.The only time I had trouble was in a wood,I accidentally pegged through several tree roots,the awning held up fine,but I couldnt get the pegs out afterwards,I lost 4 pegs,I had to hammer them level with soil surface so as not to damage anyones tyres.
          incidently,buy a proper hammer,a big one,I use a small club hammer and a peg extactor.Rubber hammers are a joke.
          Last edited by Ian.C.S; 17-01-2012, 21:45.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
            Hard standings are usually made of small clinker,or small hard core,or split pebbles,not tarmac or concrete.You can peg in using steel pegs,plastic wont pentrate.I use rock pegs,they are an 8inch nail with a small welded cross piece to stop the guy slipping off.Some sites ask you to back to the edge of the hard standing and put the awning on grass. The C&CC use a novel form of hardstand,it is a plastic grid that the grass grows through and you can peg out easily.The only time I had trouble was in a wood,I accidentally pegged through several tree roots,the awning held up fine,but I couldnt get the pegs out afterwards,I lost 4 pegs,I had to hammer them level with soil surface so as not to damage anyones tyres.
            incidently,buy a proper hammer,a big one,I use a small club hammer and a peg extactor.Rubber hammers are a joke.
            ------------------------------
            I will grant you that our 30 year old wooden mallet may have seen better days. Maybe it is time to upgrade this piece of equipment.
            Carpe diem! :)

            Comment


              #7
              I can't see that link. I use Firefox with noscript and adblock, so maybe they're stopping it? I've seen links to items on Amazon from the SMH website, but they're to particular items. If we can link to Amazon, through SMH, and search for anything with them getting a cut, I'd do it, but I'm wary of allowing websites to run anything on my local machines. Can you give me a url to use?

              Originally posted by glenw View Post
              ...
              just looked on amazon, around £8-£10 for 20 of the type we use, if you are buying from there, click on the amazon link at the bottom of the forum and the forum gets a small commision and it doesn't cost you any more!
              Last edited by JimD; 18-01-2012, 00:19.

              Comment


                #8
                Hi Jim

                If you use this link the forum will benefit from a small commission which we use to fund our running costs.

                ROCK PEGS


                Thanks.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

                Comment


                  #9
                  I bought a dozen of these tarzan ones ( the link to them below uses the site reference) and a claw hammer. Heard tales of the plastic topped ones eventually breaking or spitting, so I chose these. I've only used them once, but I was very impressed with them.

                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outwell-Tarz...8775&sr=8-18

                  For preference I use a soft/grass standing wherever possible, but if it's not, I will ask if I can park my van sideways onto the pitch or right to the back of the hardstanding, so that most of the awning is on the grass.
                  Last edited by jayjay; 18-01-2012, 09:34.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We had some of those 'Tarzan' ones too but they broke quicker than the plastic topped ones, the weld is the weak spot and didn't take kindly to miss hits with the hammer!! I agree though, the plastics ones do split given the same treatment, but they do seem a little more resilient.

                    Don't forget the delta pegs too, for those really windy days. We use the metal version on the storm straps.
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Just ordered some, so hopefully I'll be nailing my awning down in acceptable SMH style later this year. I searched using your link, Graham, so you should get a little from it.

                      Those Delta pegs mentioned in Glenw's note look like they could be used to stop the van if the brakes failed!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by JimD View Post
                        Just ordered some, so hopefully I'll be nailing my awning down in acceptable SMH style later this year. I searched using your link, Graham, so you should get a little from it.
                        Thanks Jim, it's much appreciated, every little helps.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

                        Comment

                        320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                        Collapse

                        728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X