As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just joined the kindle fraternity

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined the kindle fraternity

Have hummmmmmmmmmmed and haaaaaaaaaaaaaad particularly in view of current outlay but have gone for a refurbished kindle keyboard which is cheaper than the latest new one without a keyboard. It is warrentied as if brand new.

Reasons... Cost it was the cheapest, (£79) & the one with 3G was £70 more (nearly double). Would like 3G but could not justify that price hike. If I do not get on with the kindle it will not be then such a disaster.

The kindle keyboard allows you to have audiofiles so can have music or audiobooks onboard and has greater storage capacity the the new cheaper version.

It has a keyboard, without a keyboard inputting text is very clunky as it is not a touch screen you have to navigate using the five way controller... to be fair this is probably not a big problem because you do not need it that much.

However I will have to wait for it as it is on the super saver snail paced delivery option.

Kindle

What a bargain! I am sure you will enjoy your new toy when it arrives - perfect for the camper.

Lizzie

Comment

oh dear me better not upset you lol. picked up a pda from freecycle to use for sat nav it wouldnt hold it charge needed new battery sorted out that,now have tom tom sat nav ok it old version,windows 2003se,with note pad ,etc and put on mobi for book and use calibre for setting them to right format. Bought a second hand memory card and it wasnt wiped before i got it and had lots of kindle books on it so copied to pc and then wIped it and format it to use on pda. Pda only had 256 mem card in it ,so now have sat nav ereader mobile pc ok havent yet got wifi but it will do for a book reader and sat nav ,silly games when bored.All ineed is a wifi sd card.

Comment

No problem horses for courses... ....

Comment

My mother has a new Kindle but so far I don't know how to download books from the PC onto it.
          Any ideas

Comment

have a look at this http://calibre-ebook.com/about it is what I use i found it easy to use ,this video desvribes everything you need to know http://calibre-ebook.com/demo
            Last edited by AGING HIPPY; 15-03-2012, 01:03.

Comment

Book download

If you are a member of a city library most libraries offer a free download service for a range of books. This is a totally free service.
              All that is needed is to have a membership number, and to have a password which is obtainable from your local library.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene View Post
                If you are a member of a city library most libraries offer a free download service for a range of books. This is a totally free service.
                All that is needed is to have a membership number, and to have a password which is obtainable from your local library.
                I heard at the Kingsbury meet that they do not offer the service to Kindle users, it did seem strange and would be good if they did, I will have to pop along and ask, thanks Eugene .

Meow is the time to chill with my cat =^..^=

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                  My mother has a new Kindle but so far I don't know how to download books from the PC onto it.
                  Any ideas
                  Are you buying them from Amazon ? if that is the case then in your account you go onto purchases and select send to my kindle via wifi

If you already have e-books in pdf or word format then connect the kindle to the pc as a drive. Open the kindle folder to view files and there will be another folder called documents. select the books you want to load onto the kindle from your pc and copy then paste them into the kindle document folder
                  I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                  http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Mmmm just looking on my library help page and it looks like Kindle is not supported

This is their Q&A section:

Can I download to an Amazon Kindle Reader?
                    No, the Amazon device is a proprietary format and as such does not allow library loaned material which adheres to an open standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                      Mmmm just looking on my library help page and it looks like Kindle is not supported

No, the Amazon device is a proprietary format and as such does not allow library loaned material which adheres to an open standard.
                      Information from the Derbyshire County Council news-paper (mostly a waste of ratepayer's money) says that the DCC libraries are hopng to negotiate with Kindle to offer their ebooks.
                      Soooo........you never know?
                      Jim.
                      By the way, I hope your fingers are better at using the d*** thing than mine are! Mine is the cheapest (new) one. I have never come across anything which so ignores the art of ergonomics. My normally quite capable engineers hands seem unable to cope. Switching pages inadvertantly,because the most comfortable way to hold it leaves my fingers touching the page turn buttons. The navigating buttons need to be used with a fingernail because my fingers are (not abnormally) too fat.
                      I suppose I am just a grouch.
                      Last edited by Twolitre; 15-03-2012, 15:09.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

use the software calibre then it wil send them to your kindle in right format i posted the link to it just above

Comment

Just a 'seconded' to the suggestion to use Calibre. There's a version for Windows, Linux, or Apple OSX, so that covers most of us I reckon.

I'd also recommend keeping an eye on http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/free/ which watches Amazon for offers of free books, so you can 'buy' them for £0.00, and don't forget to check the Gutenberg project for copyright-free classics!

The problem I had with using my kindle is the difficulty of moving books into collections, but Calibre has a load of plug-ins available, including 'Kindle Collections' which sorts that out. I also find the 'Find Duplicates' plug in useful, but that's only needed when you have a lot of books on there.

Comment

The Kindle uses .mobi format, but Amazon uses .azw which is .mobi with added Digital Rights Management (DRM). I believe the other formats, libraries use, have other DRM systems so a book is automatically wiped from your device after the loan period. It's the proprietry DRM that's the problem.

Comment

Thanks Ageing Hippy and JimD, I will take a look at Calibre and also those links

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X