As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cable Storage (ie laptop, mobile phone)

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cable Storage (ie laptop, mobile phone)

    I am fed up with leads everywhere in my life!! Grrrrrrrrrrr Camping and at home it is a problem. Solutions would be welcomed....

    I did find these and I am tempted but what do others do

    My babinos

    Suggestions would be welcomed... I am thinking of putting all leads in a laundry net bag for travel, but will that be a muddle too..

    They seem to be avaliable on amazon too

    #2
    Hi Tentpeg - I have the same problem - more at home than away, behind the TV! A quick google comes up with lots of ideas, I've had a look at a lot of them and I'm not sure if they are a solution either! I like the link you have for them though.

    What I did was to wind up all excess wires around my hand then secure them with rubber bands.

    I wish someone would invent a gadget that stops the EHU getting in a mess! It doesn't seem to matter how carefully I wind it and put it away, it transforms magically into sphagetti when I get it out again!

    Comment


      #3
      It used to be called "GETTING AWAY". Perhaps the object is now "TAKING WAY".

      Years ago we might have taken a battery radio, but no moble phones, TVs, I pads, Kindles and everything re-chargeable we can think of. EHU was rarely available, so few carried EHU cables.

      If we buy cable tidies we are adding even more to the load/complications/annoyances! Is it not time to start thinking of "NOT TAKING AWAY THINGS WE CAN LEAVE AT HOME".

      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        Hi Tentpeg - I have the same problem - more at home than away, behind the TV! A quick google comes up with lots of ideas, I've had a look at a lot of them and I'm not sure if they are a solution either! I like the link you have for them though.

        What I did was to wind up all excess wires around my hand then secure them with rubber bands.

        I wish someone would invent a gadget that stops the EHU getting in a mess! It doesn't seem to matter how carefully I wind it and put it away, it transforms magically into sphagetti when I get it out again!
        lawn mower cable tidy and elastic band

        Comment


          #5
          I have piles of leads and not sure if how many are relevant at home anymore and they are always tangled. The idea of using a device to wrap them tidily and label them is attractive.

          Comment


            #6
            Cable Tidy

            Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
            I have piles of leads and not sure if how many are relevant at home anymore and they are always tangled. The idea of using a device to wrap them tidily and label them is attractive.
            I use the discarded red rubber bands fron the postman ,
            I have loads of these rubber bands appatantly the Post Office buy 11 million per year I can quite believe this as well

            Alf

            Comment


              #7
              Be careful and change often the red rubber bands are bio degradable and go sticky very quickly.

              Peter

              Comment


                #8
                How about using the Velcro cable tidy's?? Cheap, cheerful, reusable, available from amazon using the forum link We also label the plugs using a dymo label printer.
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

                Comment


                  #9
                  [QUOTE=glenw;38587
                  We also label the plugs using a dymo label printer.[/QUOTE]

                  Now THAT'S a good idea!
                  Carpe diem! :)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have the same problem but hadn't seen the Bobinos. I've just ordered a couple (med, £2.47 on eBay).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Not exactly laundry nets - but the little nets that come with detergent tablets are very useful - they have a nice toggle on them too. I put some leads in those (eg in car mobile phone chargers) then put all the leads, transformers etc into one of those organiser things that hang onto the back of car seats

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've got one of the Bobino cable tidy thingies, but it's only small ... ok for your iPhone headphones and a bit of a faff winding and unwinding them. Stops it tying itself in a knot, i suppose.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Bitter about twisted ehu cable

                          Hi All

                          I am now on my second ehu cable, and considering buying another. However hard I try they end up so twisted that I consider them potentially unsafe.

                          Here's what I've tried doing:

                          Unreeling (I've got one of those orange plastic reels) completely each time I use it, and laying it out as straight as possible before laying it in wide zig zags.

                          Always re-winding it in the same way, from the same end and rotating it the same direction.

                          I was told that the blue cable is less likely to twist, but it seems bulky and rather heavy. I don't have a lot of room in the van, due to all the other cables on board! Would I be better to forget the reel altogether I wonder?

                          Any help with this bitter twisted experience welcome!

                          TG

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by TG View Post
                            Hi All

                            I am now on my second ehu cable, and considering buying another. However hard I try they end up so twisted that I consider them potentially unsafe.

                            Here's what I've tried doing:

                            Unreeling (I've got one of those orange plastic reels) completely each time I use it, and laying it out as straight as possible before laying it in wide zig zags.

                            Always re-winding it in the same way, from the same end and rotating it the same direction.

                            I was told that the blue cable is less likely to twist, but it seems bulky and rather heavy. I don't have a lot of room in the van, due to all the other cables on board! Would I be better to forget the reel altogether I wonder?

                            Any help with this bitter twisted experience welcome!

                            TG
                            I dispensed with the cable reel as being more trouble than it's worth, what I do is disconnect cable from both ends-live end first ie the site plugin- then wind the cable onto one hand using the other hand-left onto right in my case, every couple of turns i use my left hand to "whip" the cable thats coming up, this moves any kinks gradually along the cable, by the time I get to the end the kinks have gone ! this is a lot harder to describe than actually do-like describing a spiral staircase without using your hands !! happy coiling.
                            derek b and Babs

                            Comment


                              #15
                              With a little practice. Coiling any cable into neat, flat, loops soon becomes easy.
                              Lay the cable out roughly on a straight line. With your left hand (assuming you are not "keggy handed!") firmly take hold of the end and reach out with your right hand to hold sufficient cable for the size of the coil you desire. Bring the hands together twisting the loose cable by half a turn at the same time to form a circle. The cable will form a flat coil with no twist. Holding the first loop with the left hand just keep repeating the action with the twist in the same direction. You will find that the cable will resist twisting until it finds the natural position when you can feel it relax.

                              Try first with a piece of thickish rope and you will soon see how sailors can coil a rope so quickly and neatly.
                              You will need to "flick out" the twist periodically as it is passed down the free rope or cable end.
                              In nautical jargon. "Always start at the 'standing end' of a rope or cable", where one end is fixed (or standing). Or it all goes wrong!
                              Jim.
                              Last edited by Twolitre; 12-05-2012, 15:57.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X