As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gelert's incredible expanding water carrier, a review!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gelert's incredible expanding water carrier, a review!

Well, I though this looked just the thing and about the right size capacity. So I bought one. Mixed feelings about it though.

It's quite well made, and a good plastic density for something not entirely rigid. That is, it probably wont burst from water weight, or puncture that easily.

However, when full of water, it doesn't stand up while you fill it, the bottom seems to be rounded, so you have to hang onto it or it falls over. Also, when on its side so you can use the tap it leaks from the screw joint. This is because the screw on tap is hard plastic, the part it screws onto is softer plastic. Don't know how to fix that.

Apart from that I'd like to keep it rather than send it back, so if you can think of anything to stop it leaking from the tap, I'd appreciate it! LOL!

Here's the photo's, I put a coffee mug next to it so you can gauge the size.

Hi JayJay

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
    Well, I though this looked just the thing and about the right size capacity. So I bought one. Mixed feelings about it though.

It's quite well made, and a good plastic density for something not entirely rigid. That is, it probably wont burst from water weight, or puncture that easily.

However, when full of water, it doesn't stand up while you fill it, the bottom seems to be rounded, so you have to hang onto it or it falls over. Also, when on its side so you can use the tap it leaks from the screw joint. This is because the screw on tap is hard plastic, the part it screws onto is softer plastic. Don't know how to fix that.

Apart from that I'd like to keep it rather than send it back, so if you can think of anything to stop it leaking from the tap, I'd appreciate it! LOL!

Here's the photo's, I put a coffee mug next to it so you can gauge the size.
    In the lab,we use clear silicon rubber sealant, you can buy it in petshops that sell fishtanks, it needs a day or two to cure and smells of vinegar untill you rinse it out, but it works.
    Goodluck
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
      In the lab,we use clear silicon rubber sealant, you can buy it in petshops that sell fishtanks, it needs a day or two to cure and smells of vinegar untill you rinse it out, but it works.
      Goodluck
      Ian
      Hi Ian, thanks for the tip! Would a bathroom sealer do the same thing? I never thought of sealants, was going down the where can I find a washer this big route!! LOL!!

Comment

Oh it won't work - why? There's only one hole to fill by, then the cap/tap (all in one) goes on. So if I sealed the cap, I wouldn't be able to fill it! LOL!

I've tried rubber bands, doesn't work. What else can I try.????

Maybe I should just send it back for a refund!

Please note this item is not recommended if its going to dribble when on its side on a table because that's how I want to use it!

Comment

O-rings

Oh it won't work - why? There's only one hole to fill by, then the cap/tap (all in one) goes on. So if I sealed the cap, I wouldn't be able to fill it! LOL!

Please note this item is not recommended if its going to dribble when on its side on a table because that's how I want to use it!
          Hi jayjay,
          leaks are such a pain, it has taken me a week and many reassemblies to fix a leaking loo cystern, so try this, plumbers merchants sell large rubber O rings for loo cystern seals, I think it may be about right size or perhaps a smaller o-ring for overflow seal,but they have a range of sizes.
          goodluck
          Ian

Comment

Plumbers Tape

Hi JayJay try this stuff does wonders in and around the kitchen sink taps /radiaters garden hose connections stops drips.
            http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index....kr4lgj8bde00n1

Comment

Hi Wanderer and Ian, thanks for the tips. I thought it seemed like a good idea having one of these, as space is as limited in my caravan as it was in the roma.

I think I will send it back as there's no quick fix. If I use PTFE tape, I wouldn't be able to unscrew it to refill it, and searching for an O ring just seems like it's a bit OTT for something that shouldn't leak in the first place. I'm sick of trying to fix things at the moment!

I will have to buy a rigid one I think!

Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

Comment

We use skinflint water carriers, 2 pint milk containers You can carry four at a time back from the water tap, put the one you are using at the back of a work surface, keep a couple in the fridge door or put them in the awning. In the Berlingo I carry two in the door pockets.
                Last edited by Derek; 26-03-2010, 11:17.
                Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hurray, another skinflint operator, I never buy if I can adapt, something . I've two 4 pint containers lined up at present. ( It must be from growing up in the war). Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
                    We use skinflint water carriers, 2 pint milk containers You can carry four at a time back from the water tap, put the one you are using at the back of a work surface, keep a couple in the fridge door or put them in the awning. In the Berlingo I carry two in the door pockets.
                    Failing all that just Hi Jack the water tap using a large enough hose,making sure you superglue the end to the tap

Comment

I use the milk plastic cartons cut down to hold many items in my pelmets, they keeps things from rolling around and good for scissors,pens etc as you can cut as low or high as you require.

Comment

Originally posted by lunnie View Post
                        I use the milk plastic cartons cut down to hold many items in my pelmets, they keeps things from rolling around and good for scissors,pens etc as you can cut as low or high as you require.
                        Yes we do that for our toilet/shower compartment in the Dimension, we got the idea from John and Wendy.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I like some of these little ideas that others have, so useful
                          Jessie

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
                            Another one here with skinflint water carriers. After the experience with the Gelert (hence the thread) I decided that all the proper 'camping' carriers were very overpriced for what they were, and also too big. So - I bought two containers of drinking 'spring water' with carrying handles, each holds 5 litres of water - had them from Morrisons (M's Spring Water) for 96p each, including the water! I have a little water carrier over the sink (10 ltr) which has a tap so small it takes a long time even to fill a small drinking glass! Handy for washing hands though, so I thought I'd keep that and suppliment with these.

Can't find the Morrisons one, but here's the same thing at Tesco, for 92p.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another one here with skinflint water carriers. After the experience with the Gelert (hence the thread) I decided that all the proper 'camping' carriers were very overpriced for what they were, and also too big. So - I bought two containers of drinking 'spring water' with carrying handles, each holds 5 litres of water - had them from Morrisons (M's Spring Water) for 96p each, including the water! I have a little water carrier over the sink (10 ltr) which has a tap so small it takes a long time even to fill a small drinking glass! Handy for washing hands though, so I thought I'd keep that and suppliment with these.

Can't find the Morrisons one, but here's the same thing at Tesco, for 92p.
                              JayJay,
                              while at wolverley I spoke with Liz, she had a very neat water container with a tap, seemed to be made of polycarbonate, it was glass clear, and would hold about 10 litres I guess.
                              She was sitting on your table at the supper.
                              She could give you more info than me.

Ian

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X