As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Sat Nav??

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Sat Nav??

Ok, I know, the words 'simple' and 'sat nav' do not go together!!

My parents have had a little garmin i3 for years, but it's way out of date now, they need a new one...

But which one is the easiest and simplest to use? Does anyone know which is best?

I have a TomTom One, but I wouldn't say that was the easiest to use, although I don't mind it. I think my parents would struggle with it though.

They are in their 80s now. I think they need a garmin nuvi - can anyone tell me if these are pretty simple to program? They have a struggle using a mobile phone TBH.....

I'm now in my second Nuvi - and thinking of treating myself to a new one with my Christmas Argos vouchers as it's out of date on a lot of speed limits.

As they are used to a Garmin they should pick up how to work a Nuvi quite easily, I find them very straightforward. But then I'm used to them!

I love my Garmins.

Comment

My Garmin say nav is a few year old but I paid to update all the maps regularly. so far no significant navigational problems...touch wood!
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Thanks for that, Caz! I was thinking of getting the one that you can download a google map to - and the sat nav sticks to that route! And I wouldn't mind one with that facility myself, either! I'm sure I've read this in relation to the Garmin range somewhere (although probably the newest and most expensive) A function to 'reverse the route' would be good as well...

You seem to get these functions on different units, but never all on the same one! LOL!!

This looks a good buy - must check out the specs...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5044085.htm

Comment

Perhaps Im missing something but I dont understand how a satnav can be out of date.I have an original TomTom one,I put a 2GB data card in its card slot, cheap from Amazon,and I pay for regular updates from TomTom home,which I download from my PC to the device.Its so easy and I update before every run ,it takes 5 minutes and I am then ok for going anywhere.
          I have met a lot of people who complain their SatNav is nogood,out of date,gets them lost,doesnt show diversions,road works,tolls etc etc etc - I always ask,when did you last update,and am always told, NEVER, "Im not paying for updates this thing cost enough!" I then ask if they have a new paper road map,the answer is almost always YES. It seems bonkers to me not to update your electronic maps.

All satnavs I believe can be set to show/exclude all sorts of things, like motorways,service stations resteraunts pubs,level crossings,hotels,campsites,quick routes,pedestrian routes, and some can include your vehicle size to stop big vehicles getting stuck.

its the best thing I ever bought!
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

It costs about £50 a time to update mine - that's why I don't. After 3 years it's probably getting a bit worn out anyway since I use it all day everyday, so might as well pay a few quid more and buy a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
              It costs about £50 a time to update mine - that's why I don't. After 3 years it's probably getting a bit worn out anyway since I use it all day everyday, so might as well pay a few quid more and buy a new one.
              I have this morning bought another years updates and it cost £22,Im a happy boy!
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I use the iPhone Tom Tom app. Once purchased all the updates are free for good as far as I can see.

As its installed through iTunes you can use it on more than one device at a time i.e. a truck driver friend uses his iPad as a sat nav in his truck and the phone in the car. It's also transferable from phone to phone as you upgrade.

The only extra charge I pay is about £26 per year to have the up to date traffic on it which is optional but worth it if you're on the road all day.

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  Thanks for that, Caz! I was thinking of getting the one that you can download a google map to - and the sat nav sticks to that route! And I wouldn't mind one with that facility myself, either! I'm sure I've read this in relation to the Garmin range somewhere (although probably the newest and most expensive) A function to 'reverse the route' would be good as well...

You seem to get these functions on different units, but never all on the same one! LOL!!

This looks a good buy - must check out the specs...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5044085.htm
                  Surely you just touch the Home button? (Usually an icon of a house). It won't always be the same route home but it will get you there. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

But you might not always be going home! You may have gone from home to place A then on to place B and want to find your way back to A, not home.

On the Nuvi I have now it draws a turquoise line as you go - so to go back you just follow the line.

These lines delete about every 7 days or so.

Comment

Yes there's a home button on my TomTom! But like Caz said, you might not want to go home straight away.

Is there an option to select to follow that blue line, Caz, or do you just have to follow it back whilst keeping your eye on it?

For eg - I went to Mersea Island in Essex last October, but I wanted to go via the A50, M1 and A14 - that's the easiest and less complicated way to go from here, and only a few extra miles. My TomTom insisted on the M6 for a hundred miles or so. So I went onto the A50, then the M1 without it, stopped at Leicester services, and turned it on there... which took me further on the M1, then onto the A14...

I would like to have reversed the route, which was the way I wanted to go home as well -dead easy. But pressing the home button took me once again through a great deal of city traffic onto the M6.... as that's the fastest route home (in theory). Reversing the route to go back the way I came involved setting the sat nav for a town on the A14, then set again for Leicester (town, but I didn't want to go there). To get to Leicester, you go on the M1, so again, at Leicester services I then set it for home... very convoluted I know, but the best way to tow a caravan (and the easiest route from here to Suffolk and Essex) is not via the M6!

You can edit the maps on Google, and choose the roads you want to go on... pressing the alternative route feature on my TomTom took me all over the place, but not onto the roads I wanted to go on. There is only one 'via' point I can insert, if there was an option for more, then it would be easier to choose the roads you want to go on - (only in theory as it won't accept road numbers, only town names).

I originally bought my TomTom as it had a feature I needed at the time, which was 'avoid motorways' as my previous little old campervan was too slow and too unsteady for motorways. That is still a useful feature, as the M6 is so close, it will route you via the motorway just to go to the next exit if you are going to a nearby town!

BTW - if you live in Wales, ALL makes of satnav seem to get themselves lost/confused!!
                      Last edited by jayjay; 13-01-2013, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post

Surely you just touch the Home button? (Usually an icon of a house). It won't always be the same route home but it will get you there. Graham (and Carole)
                        I was given the tip by someone, somewhere (maybe on here) NOT to set your home as your real home, but to somewhere local to you. The local police station is a good one.
                        The reason being that if your vehicle is stolen when you are out and about and your sat nav is in the vehicle, there is the possibility that the thief can follow your sat nav to your house, safe in the knowledge that you aren't at home and instead are stranded wherever you were visiting. Probably an unlikely scenario, but thought I would pass it on anyhow.
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                          I was given the tip by someone, somewhere (maybe on here) NOT to set your home as your real home, but to somewhere local to you. The local police station is a good one.
                          The reason being that if your vehicle is stolen when you are out and about and your sat nav is in the vehicle, there is the possibility that the thief can follow your sat nav to your house, safe in the knowledge that you aren't at home and instead are stranded wherever you were visiting. Probably an unlikely scenario, but thought I would pass it on anyhow.
                          Never thought of that, but now you mention it!!!

Comment

No Jayjay, you just have to watch it to follow the line.

The squirrel and I often disagree about which is the best way to go from here when heading east for Derbyshire, Notts etc - he likes me to go across to Whitchurch, Nantwich, A500 Stoke on to the A50. If I decide to head Whitchurch way I prefer to on through Audlem across to Stoke and the A50, but I get very bored with the Whitchurch road 'cos I'm up and down it all the time, so I like to go via the A5 then head up the A38 for a change. What I normally do is decide which way I want to go and head off that way with the sat nav set to go to the destination and the volume off. When he eventually decides I'm going the best way (this could be anywhere from a hundred yards down the road to 20 miles away depending on where I'm headed) I turn his voice back on.

Since I know all the main roads (and most of the minor ones) within a radius of a good 20 miles I don't get lost.

If I'm on roads I don't know, for example when headed home, I do what I used to do - have a good look at the map first and note which towns to aim at, then follow the road signs and if the squirrel says to go a different way I ignore him.

Comment

interesting what you say about satnavs in Wales Jayjay. Last year on a trip to Pembrokeshire just when I really needed it my Tomtom just seemed to completely lose the plot. Is this what I should expect next time I go acroos the bridge and also why does this happen?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X