This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Skillet

I tried my brand new Double Skillet today. I cooked a roast. Chicken breasts, roast potatoes, parsnips and it was only burned a little bit so I am quite impressed with it. When they say "low heat" they really mean low heat. I would like to hear from other D.S. users with any ideas and suggestions for cooking things.

I will be watching this thread, not ued mine in the camper yet, but have at home, but only to warm stuff through... am amazed how low the heat has to be!!
    JIFFY REGISTER - Click Here
    BBQ - Our other Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Jiffyman View Post
      I will be watching this thread, not ued mine in the camper yet, but have at home, but only to warm stuff through... am amazed how low the heat has to be!!
      pendel

Have not used our D.S. yet but bought an egg poacher gizmo for it last weekend, testing soon.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Have you seen our website with a review of double skillets.

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/cookingi...motorhome.html
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I use my double skillet all the time in the van and have only used the oven about twice in 5 years. I have a small milk pan as well, but that is hardly ever used. Very easy for washing up too (so John tells me).

I have made cakes in it (in the van) and they turned out well - just a bit pale on the top. Chocolate would probably be best or use lots of dark brown sugar to make it a nice colour. I have put one under the grill to just brown the top.

Have a look here for a demo:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKHiabsDQKU

Comment

Originally posted by pendel View Post
            I tried my brand new Double Skillet today. I cooked a roast. Chicken breasts, roast potatoes, parsnips and it was only burned a little bit so I am quite impressed with it. When they say "low heat" they really mean low heat. I would like to hear from other D.S. users with any ideas and suggestions for cooking things.

Well done to you! Lovely to master a new gadget and skill!

Gadgetman had one of these at Wolverley and he had lined it with something to stop things burning, but I can't remember what it was! Perhaps he'll spot this post and be along later to let us know. I've a feeling it's that stuff you get from Betterware which you cut to size and works like non-stick pan coating.

Comment

Also invested in a DS! Have had a couple of 'dummy runs' at home, very impressed! Off to France next week, (hooray!) so hopefully I will continue to be impressed!

The maps and books have been spread all over the floor and a 'vague' route planned, usually just follow our noses, its never failed!

Greynomad

Comment

Cakes in Double Skillet

As requested a view on making cakes in the double skillet so here are my tips. I don't profess to be an expert and have only done it a few times.

Firstly I use recipes that can be measured in cups or spoonfuls. Depends on the size of the cake but I have put the mixture straight into the skillet and I have also used paper cases for a loaf-type cake. The latter were very floppy and although I tried to prop them up with crushed foil the cakes were a slightly lopsided shape. I may try using foil cases as they would be stronger. I have a collapsible bowl (Lidl special offer last year) that takes up hardly any space in the van – useful for mixing cakes & pancakes and as salad bowl.

One downside to making cakes with the skillet in the van is the length of time needed to cook them – I usually only do cakes when on EHU and using my single electric hotplate. I use the diffuser if I am using gas. 2 easy recipes:

Yogurt cake - I cooked this directly in the skillet. Use yogurt pot as measure
                Place 150g pot plain yogurt in a bowl. Add 3 pots of SR flour, 2 pots caster sugar, 1 pot vegetable oil, 3 eggs and 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence.
                Beat well together and pour into skillet. Cook for approx 1-1½ hrs until well risen. It will not be brown on the top, so I stuck it under the grill for a browned top.
                Photo below - this was eaten by the participants at the Devizes SMH meet 2007.

Fruit loaf 1 cup = 250ml.
                I cupful mixed fruit soaked in ½ cupful milk for approx 15 mins. Stir in ½ cupful brown sugar &
                1 cupful SR flour. Sufficient for 1lb loaf tin or similar sized container. Cook for approx 1 hour using diffuser on gas.
                No picture – ask Graham about it!

Scones are easy to do and don't take long to cook. Pat the mixture to the right shape and cut with knife instead of using rolling pin and cutter. Or just put the whole lot in the skillet (like a bannock) and cut/tear when done!

I've not tried making cupcakes in the skillet, but don't see why they shouldn't be OK as you could pack the cases in quite tightly so that they don't bulge at the sides. Chocolate would be cook as that would not look pale when cooked. I guess that silicon pans would be alright but haven't tried them in the skillet.
                Attached Files

Comment

Double skillet

Hi Wendy,

Those cakes sound delicious - must try them.
                  I have cooked cakes in my Remoska at home. They do need watching as because of the heat source in the lid they easily burn. I bought some thick foil pie plates and cut one down to fit over the top at the beginning of baking. This works well and allows the cake to cook evenly right through.

I have become a great fan of silicone kitchen stuff especially for camping as it is so light and as you say either folds up or collapses for storage.

Lizzie

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                    Fruit loaf 1 cup = 250ml.
                    I cupful mixed fruit soaked in ½ cupful milk for approx 15 mins. Stir in ½ cupful brown sugar &
                    1 cupful SR flour. Sufficient for 1lb loaf tin or similar sized container. Cook for approx 1 hour using diffuser on gas.
                    No picture – ask Graham about it!
                    One word
                    FANTASTIC!!
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thank you for the recipies Wendy. I will try them out. I must be honest and say that we havent used our saucepans since we got the D.S. Its amazing and since my first burnt effort , my fault entirely, everything else has been very tasty. I am wondering how dumplings would work ? If they were cooked in with minced beef for ages they may be okay, I will give it a try and let you all know. I think at £47 for the skillet and delivery its an absolute bargain. I dont ever want to be without it again.

Comment

Cakes are great in the double skillet, they come out a bit like steamed puddings. Have cooked pinapple upside down cake, Chocolate and apple cakes... will be trying those listed also.

Comment

Originally posted by pendel View Post
                          I am wondering how dumplings would work ? If they were cooked in with minced beef for ages they may be okay, I will give it a try and let you all know. I think at £47 for the skillet and delivery its an absolute bargain. I dont ever want to be without it again.
                          Dumplings only need steaming (about 20 mins, depending on size), so they should be quite alright in with your minced beef for the last bit of cooking time.

Pineapple upside down cake sounds like a good one to try as well.

Comment

It has become a bit of a ritual... I carry the dry ingrediants ready bagged to make a cake on holiday!

Minimal effort involved and just read a book while they cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamingsue View Post
                              It has become a bit of a ritual... I carry the dry ingrediants ready bagged to make a cake on holiday!

Minimal effort involved and just read a book while they cook.
                              That's my method too - no space for bags of flour etc.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X