As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Screens

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Screens

In or out?

I was under the impression that the Silver Screens went on the outside of the screen, to insulate the van and avoid condensation inside.

However My Mum ASSURES me that they go inside so that they stay clean and dry.

So what's it to be?

This is all hypothetical at this point, of course, being the owner of neither van nor Silver Screens. But I'm getting prepared!

Thanks

Pema Lily

Have been looking at Silver Screens and have been advised to get the external ones as the internals apparently cause a lot of condensation all over the dashboard.
    No doubt someone will advise who has them.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Hi Tony,
      I had internal screens, they can be fixed despite the rain, and they give privacy, and they are cheap.
      They give no thermal insulation, wrong side of the glass to keep you cool and too thin to retain heat in the van.
      External silverscreens are made for the cab, they can be expensive but there are dealers on Ebay, I got mine for £50.00. You need to fix them over the doors, around wing mirrors and tie down to door handles.The three part units give the option of folding down the centre section without removing all the screen. They get wet when it rains, and condensation forms between them and the glass, so they need drying and the screen may need a wipe over. The thermal efficiecy is good, cool in sun, warm in cold.
      You pays your money and takes your choice, I prefer external.
      Ian
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I have both internal and external. The Internal ones are a set of 8 for each window of my VW T4.........they are very effective but can be a bit of a nuisance to fit....involves stretching and some effort.
        I occasionally use the external screen in summer to keep some of the heat out of the cab area.
        Both types are a multilayer construction and can be damaged by sharp objects. In late autumn or winter I have found the Internal screens to make a significant difference in terms of heat retention, and they make the van appear to be larger than it does with curtains drawn.
        The real test is that I can read in bed with my head against the back window on a cold night, and not notice the cold.

Comment

We too have both, but mainly use just the external as they do stop condensation whereas the internal ones don't. During the winter, we put both on!

Another thing to consider is where you stay. If you are wildcamping or stopping in car parks etc, I would consider internal. That way, should you get disturbed by undesirables during the night, you can easily remove them without the need to open the doors and get out, therefore keeping you safe.

The internal ones are usually cheaper. Our internal ones came with the new van but we bought the external ones 2nd hand off an online ad.

There are a few manufacturers, silverscreen, taylormade and silverproducts ( on ebay and generally the cheapest new prices). From what I gather, silverproducts is owned by the son of the original silverscreen makers, and use very similar/identical manufacturing practices but at a lower price.

Ours are taylormade and we have been very happy with them.
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi

We have an external silverscreen and are very pleased with it. Easy to fit, lightweight and does what it says on the ad.

Gail

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Some good points raised and always useful to have tales from the frontline, as it were.

I do value this forum. Whenever someone questions me about aspects of Small Motorhoming, I can confidently say, "I don't know, but I'll look on the forum."

Comment

Originally posted by Pema Lily View Post
                I do value this forum. Whenever someone questions me about aspects of Small Motorhoming, I can confidently say, "I don't know, but I'll look on the forum."
                Isn't it amazing, there is always someone on here who has experienced just the thing you need to know. Spread the word wherever you go, the more the merrier.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I hope you don't mind my bringing this back to the front again but, I am unsure what to do. Our last trip we noticed that there was a lot of condensation on the inside front window. Wiping the windows wasn't the best thing to do as the water started running down!! The blowers take an age to demist the windows. So, is it correct/helpful that an 'outside' silverscreen will help prevent inside condensation?
                  Jessie

Comment

Hi jessiem, similar question here;

Do the windscreen blinds on the Dimension do anything other than black out or do they help prevent condensation like a silver screen. We have not camped in cold so far and as it is such a large screen it would likely take a whole kitchen roll to wipe them in the morning if we had to.

Comment

I read somewhere that the best way to clear a windscreen is to remember to open the windows first thing. It should be dry by the time you want to go out, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jessiem View Post
                        I hope you don't mind my bringing this back to the front again but, I am unsure what to do. Our last trip we noticed that there was a lot of condensation on the inside front window. Wiping the windows wasn't the best thing to do as the water started running down!! The blowers take an age to demist the windows. So, is it correct/helpful that an 'outside' silverscreen will help prevent inside condensation?

Yes, well at least thats the experience we've had and seems to be the general concensus when talking to other people.

We've been using ours throughout the summer as well as the winter and haven't noticed any condensation, prior to that we had an internal screen and did suffer with condensation.

The external screen we have is a part fold down type, so you can let light in etc during the day but to be honest, we never do. It is really effective at keeping the van cool in the summer as well as warm in the winter. The only negatives, its bulky and it obviously gets wet when it rains so may need drying out when you get home.
                        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi I have internal and external blinds, when I use the external only, I leave the side door windows down a couple of inches and this vents the windows and stops any condensations.

I have the intergated pull down screens for my side windows on the C15

Comment

we have decide to go for the external silverscreens, one with a dayview. I have been looking at other forums and it seems the majority recommend external.
                            Jessie

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X