Driveaway awning/tent/gazebo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveaway awning/tent/gazebo

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and looking for some advice and opinions please. I am in the process of converting a VW Touran into a camper. I want a driveaway awning/tent and have been searching the internet for something suitable. However, I have found that most are 2m high. My vehicle is 1.83 x 150 cms wide. I'm unsure what to do or what to buy. I was then looking at unconventional ways to set up tent, for example a gazebo but now I'm totally confused. Can anyone make any recomendations or help me get this sorted? Many thanks in anticipation.

Welcome to a great forum. have a look on this section of the Forum.
    http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...php?67-Awnings
    Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

Comment

…… we bought one that inflates with a pump for our Hyudai people carrier. Have a look in the motor home magazines for ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Sue B View Post
        Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and looking for some advice and opinions please. I am in the process of converting a VW Touran into a camper. I want a driveaway awning/tent and have been searching the internet for something suitable. However, I have found that most are 2m high. My vehicle is 1.83 x 150 cms wide. I'm unsure what to do or what to buy. I was then looking at unconventional ways to set up tent, for example a gazebo but now I'm totally confused. Can anyone make any recomendations or help me get this sorted? Many thanks in anticipation.
        There are lots of driveaway awnings which would suit your van, they have a tunnel that can be fixed to the van either by throwing the guys over the van and fixing or fixing to the awning rail if you have one, it doesn't matter if the awning is higher than your van. I wouldn't recommend a gazebo as it would be too lightweight and flimsy in winds.

This Outdoor Revolution Awning is one of the cheapest on the market. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...JQPC7KUGANXIIE
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I personally favour the Khyam ones http://www.khyam.co.uk/products.asp?s=Motorhome
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

You could also look at the Caranex awnings, they do various sizes I think.http://www.caranex.com/
            Last edited by Rob B; 29-04-2015, 16:00.

Comment

Outdoor Revolution Outhouse XL Handi

Thanks for your replies folks. I'm getting fed up looking at awnings now so have almost settled on the one mentioned. Does anyone have one of these and can comment on it? Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for your replies folks. I'm getting fed up looking at awnings now so have almost settled on the one mentioned. Does anyone have one of these and can comment on it? Cheers.
                had a transit connect car once. decided to go camping in it. bought a caranex awning. almighty expensive. put it up in the garden, as you do. looked perfect. then decided on a whim to get a trailer tent. awning went back in the box, where its been ever since! story of my life really. charge straight in and hang the consequences!hey nonny ho nonny any way if you are interested in the awning its available. i think when i pass on, my boys will have a field day, rummaging through our attic and garage. incidentally, why do we call it a garage, when the last thing to go in there, is a car!!
                Last edited by doog; 30-04-2015, 07:11.

Comment

I have one of the smaller O.R. Outhouse models, although its a freestanding utility tent rather than a drive away awning. The quality is excellent and the customer support from O.R. equally good.

I can also vouch for the good quality of Caranex products should you wish to take Doog up on his offer.
                  Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
                    had a transit connect car once. decided to go camping in it. bought a caranex awning. almighty expensive. put it up in the garden, as you do. looked perfect. then decided on a whim to get a trailer tent. awning went back in the box, where its been ever since! story of my life really. charge straight in and hang the consequences!hey nonny ho nonny any way if you are interested in the awning its available. i think when i pass on, my boys will have a field day, rummaging through our attic and garage. incidentally, why do we call it a garage, when the last thing to go in there, is a car!!
                    Is the Caranex still available? If so, do you have a price in mind?
                    Thanks,
                    Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by cesky2000 View Post
                      Is the Caranex still available? If so, do you have a price in mind?
                      Thanks,
                      Sheila
                      yes Sheila, its available. we put it up in the garden once. took it down and put it back in the box. i decided to sell the connect. i expect youv'e seen the prices of these. amazing! they come in various models(just in case you hadn't realised). i don't know your camper but if you want it. make me an offer. i am not expecting a fortune! just be fair. the biggest drawback is i have no idea how the post works for these. i'm not kidding as anyone on here will agree. the last time i sent anything by post it cost tuppence! if you are anywhere near Kent you can collect, otherwise you'll have to wait for the maid to return from OZ. i know and agree its pathetic but it suits us. happy days!

Comment

Thanks. I live in Lincolnshire, but should be down in Kent over the weekend of June 26th/28th, at Hole Park, Rolvenden. If you haven't found another home for it by then maybe I could come and take a look and we could discuss it - I am definitely interested. I have a Kangoo, so I think that it should fit, maybe with a bit of bodging

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by cesky2000 View Post
                          Thanks. I live in Lincolnshire, but should be down in Kent over the weekend of June 26th/28th, at Hole Park, Rolvenden. If you haven't found another home for it by then maybe I could come and take a look and we could discuss it - I am definitely interested. I have a Kangoo, so I think that it should fit, maybe with a bit of bodging

Sheila
                          you would be more than welcome Sheila. i have never tried to sell it, so it will be available.

Comment

Thanks. I'll be in touch nearer the time.

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
                              i have never tried to sell it, so it will be available.
                              Unless someone else reads this of course, never underestimate the power of the Small Motorhome Forum.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment