Drive away awnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive away awnings

We bought the Suncamp Aspect it is the right hieght for the R25 but it does not fit the back of the van very well. It took both us to put it up and nearley killed the wife.
    Next we bought the Royal Utility tent it has a front and back door. The front door has a window and props up on two poles,its 200x200 and is easy to put up and comes complete with fitted ground sheet

BRIAN
    Attached Files

Hi Mr T

Getting heartily fed up of looking at awnings now! We have a demountable, which means it is very high at the door. We really could do with going around somewhere trying them. Looks like we will be sticking with the Outhouse for now

By the way, we use poles to prop up the door on the Outhouse. It's really good and very easy to do.

Comment

Hi to you both! The movelite awnings seem to work with most romahomes, the small one fit my demountable really well. An R25 would need the XL movelite driveaway I think.

If either of you can get to the Moreton meet, then you'll see lots of them and be able to check them out!

Comment

I have just bought a khyam because having watched both varities alongside the khyam looks more resistant to windy conditions. Have not tried it yet... will let you know...

Raining here tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
          I have just bought a khyam because having watched both varities alongside the khyam looks more resistant to windy conditions. Have not tried it yet... will let you know...

Raining here tonight
          its raining all over the place,I got to the roma AGM meet in hot blazing sunshine yesterday,last night crashing thunderstorm,today it is tipping it down.
          A good road test for awnings,my harrison is bone dry inside. Some of the square store room type tents look a bit battered,but the movelites came through ok. no khyams here unfortunately.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

By raining here tonight mean I cannot put it up in the garden yet as no point in getting wet on a trial run! I think the Harrisons are very good Ian and seriously thought of getting one but as it is me putting it up on my own wanted something VERY easy. I had a khyam tent once and it was very easy and saw the khyam up in a field amounst some movelights and made my decision on that. Whether it will be the right one we will see in the course of time!

Hope you are having fun on the meet.

Comment

but as it is me putting it up on my own wanted something VERY easy.
              Me too Tentpeg. Look forward to seeing how you get on. Would the Khyam fit a C15?

Comment

We just bought a outdoor persuits porch awning from e-bay about 2 meters long and sticks out about 1.8 meters and will be using it on the romahome.

I will fit awning rails both sides so we have the option of choosing which side to fit it when we are away.

Had a dry run at erecting it and it was easy :so happy: and it will be even easier when the rails are fitted.

Comment

I have just spent my first week away solo camping, in the wind, lots of it, and rain lots of it, in and around Aberdaron, bottom end of LLeyn Penninsular, North Wales, the Movelite Square stood up to a five day battering, did much better than me. I managed some long coastal footpath walks, the last one taking six hours to do 13 miles, so, having walked myself to a standstill, came back to Chester for a night in a hotel, although I still thought I could feel the bed shaking in the wind!!

Just picked up Sandra from Manchester Airport, she having had a very calm week in Ontario.

Have to get sorted for 2/3 weeks away starting off at Moreton next week.

Comment

I was going to take one of my granddaughters away for a couple of days at half term and she has chosen the site (the one with the biggest play area, we've been before!). Now she wants her best friend to come too. I thought I would buy a little popup tent or similar for me to sleep in as there isn't room in the van for 3 of us plus dog. However this site doesn't allow tents.

So this is yet another question about awnings - and I so agree with whoever said they wished you could get a simple small pop up awning! I've looked on the net for a few but don't know how it would fix. Because the rising roof comes right to the edge there's no channel and because the roof goes up I can't imagine how you fix by throwing guy ropes over the top.

Any solutions please?

Thanks

Jan

Comment

Jan, the movelite will fit most vans, I can't remember what unit you've got, but either the Square or the XL will fit most versions of the Romahome. It even fits my caravan, which is about as unlikely a shape as you're going to find!

If you have a pop top and want to secure the awning 'hoodie' over the van, tie them to a couple of tennis balls and throw them over. Then you can secure the guy lines at the other side of the unit.

Comment

Thanks jayjay, will have a look at your suggestions, awnings always look so huge, I need to go somewhere to see them set up I think, rather than on the net.

The whole of the roof, front to back, goes up so not a pop top., maybe the ropes could go over the bonnet but no idea about fixing at the back.

Oh dear, and I think it's going to be beyond my means anyway - soooo expensive. I'll ring the site and see if they'll bend the rules about tents then buy a little one/two person tent.

Thanks again, Jan

Comment

If its any help, I know towsure had their own version of the movelite square(same manufacturer but own branded) set up in their Sheffield branch if you are ever over this way.
                          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Well said I would report back on the Khyam. Incredibly easy to put up and easy for me to without any help from anyone... piece of cake. The only proviso is if there was storms or winds I think it could become sail like then think you would appreciate a hand. Very sturdy and can stand up in it no problem. Just tried it out in the garden...

I have not worked out how to attach it yet as there do not seem to be guying points on the tunnel bit... Khyam are very naughty (which i knew) because they charge you extra for all sorts of devices.... I was going to guy it but the manual suggests that this should be avoid in case the guy ropes rub the camper too much and damage the paintwork... So sent Khyam an email and will await their suggestions. Should add they have not put guying points on the tunnel bit it looks like you have to buy a kit...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers
                            Last edited by Tentpeg; 15-05-2011, 17:26.

Comment

I have not worked out how to attach it yet as there do not seem to be guying points on the tunnel bit... Khyam are very naughty (which i knew) because they charge you extra for all sorts of devices.... I was going to guy it but the manual suggests that this should be avoid in case the guy ropes rub the camper too much and damage the paintwork... So sent Khyam an email and will await their suggestions. Should add they have not put guying points on the tunnel bit it looks like you have to buy a kit...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers
                              You need some of these clingons:
                              http://clingons.co.uk/

and some guy lines like these:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/tents+t...s76aYYKg%3D%3D

shouldn't cost much either!

Can't wait to see how much a set something like the above will cost from Khyam!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X