Awnings .... Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awnings .... Again!

Sadly my Quecha Base tent which I was using as a "drive away" awning came to the end of it's very short life at Easter when 3 of the 4 pegging points pulled out of the tent due to the wind - I suspect they were not properly sewn in.

Rather than sew them back in I thought I would return the tent to Decathlon for a replacement and finally managed to be near one last week (my 3 nearest are all about 60 miles away) Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, the nearest equivalent being £100 more and having droopy big bits at the side that I don't want, so they gave me my money back.

Rather wish I'd just kept it and sewed it back up, but I didn't, so what to do now?

Have looked at the OR Outhouse, Movelite etc - but they all seem very like the Sunncamp Day Room I used to have, which I couldn't put up on my own.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

oooh Caz - I am sorry! What a shock that must have been, to find out that the nearest equivalent was £100 more. Still, at least you got a refund.

I'm wondering whether you could possibly just buy the side walls for that lovely wind out canopy you have and turn it into a day room. Although that won't solve the 'drive-away' problem....

The movelite is quite easy to put up, I have done it myself a couple of times, although its easier with two people!

Will scout about when I have time and see what I can find.

Jay

Comment

Hi Caz,
      Believe it or not,Tesco sell a range of popup tents by Gelert,look online.They also sell a teepee type which may be easier for you.
      They are miles cheaper and you get points,how does £50 sound?

Originally posted by Caz View Post
      Sadly my Quecha Base tent which I was using as a "drive away" awning came to the end of it's very short life at Easter when 3 of the 4 pegging points pulled out of the tent due to the wind - I suspect they were not properly sewn in.

Rather than sew them back in I thought I would return the tent to Decathlon for a replacement and finally managed to be near one last week (my 3 nearest are all about 60 miles away) Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, the nearest equivalent being £100 more and having droopy big bits at the side that I don't want, so they gave me my money back.

Rather wish I'd just kept it and sewed it back up, but I didn't, so what to do now?

Have looked at the OR Outhouse, Movelite etc - but they all seem very like the Sunncamp Day Room I used to have, which I couldn't put up on my own.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

...have just had a quick look at the Tesco site. All the tents seem a little on the small side - at 12cm high and 18 cm deep they seem a bit bijou!

Comment

Thanks Ian but as Lizp says the Tesco ones are all small ones, the Base is a "stand up in it" height and was perfect when pitched alongside my van. Site owners thought it was an awning so didn't charge extra, I have a Tipi but it would be charged as an extra tent and it just wouldn't work the same as I couldn't step out of the van into it.

JayJay I'm afraid I don't have the wind out awning in the avatar picture anymore, it wasn't a proper Fiamma or Omnistor - it was a Caravanstore awning-in-a-bag one, when the awning was up the bag zip kept catching in the sliding door so had lost some teeth. The second time I used it the bag wouldn't close up again due to lack of teeth, so I had to take it off. Gave it to a caravanning friend who needed some replacement bits for his.

Comment

I have to say I put up my Khyam by myself with great ease first time. Have not yet tried attaching it to my Roma yet... we will see.

Comment

I really do like the Khyam Motordome, but funds won't stretch that far!

Comment

Can I suggest watching preloved etc and looking second hand as they do pop up from time to time. Either a second hand khyam or a second hand other and then save the pennies.

I got an old stock khyam for instance and paid 199 for it rather than the 2011 prices... only difference the colour! I know that is not the bargain you are wanting probably but that was essentially new and was a lot cheaper, second hand maybe a very good way to go.
                Last edited by Tentpeg; 15-06-2011, 07:09.

Comment

...I was being slightly ironic about the sizes of the Tesco tents - I think there is an error on their site that has affected all their measurments. 18cm is very small! I do think some of their easy to put up selection may be worth another look

Liz

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X