This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awning photos for newbies!

Hi to all members... I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread with photos of our vehicles/awnings so that we have a definitive and visual guide for people who are asking which awning to get for their new campers. I hope by putting details of awnings all into one thread, it might make it easier for newbies to find, rather than just replying to individual posts for info and help over and over.

If you have a pic or two handy, upload them here and give details of the awning (or utility tent, or whatever) and your vehicle.
    I'm hoping if enough of us can do this, then perhaps we can make this a 'sticky' post later on, so that people can see our solutions to this age-old question visually.
    Last edited by jayjay; 14-05-2019, 10:02.

Here's an old pic, from when I had my demountable... It's a Movelite awning (now called the M.Square) on the rear of a demountable Romahome. It's simply positioned over the rear of the body and pegged down with straps at the sides. (I wasn't planning on driving anywhere, as you can probably tell! ) I used to trap the top of the awning tunnel in the rear skylight to hold it in place before I started putting the poles in, rather than erecting the awning and then trying to get the tunnel positioned over the back of the van. When up and running, I then released the tunnel from the skylight and just pushed it out of the way onto the back of the roof.

movelite awning on demountable.jpg
    The demountable was quite high at the rear entrance as I used a two-step step to access the interior, and the door on the pod is at the back, inside the awning. If the main body of the awning is pulled away from the back of the van, so that the tunnel is tight, there's no pooling or flapping about with excess tunnel material.
    Last edited by jayjay; 14-05-2019, 10:05.

Comment

Here's the Movelite XL at the rear of my small Kip caravan. As the door is still at the back, the drive away awnings are still in use here. The standard caravan awnings (even the small porch awnings!) are usually too large for my diddy van... The XL is actually a bit wider than the back of my caravan. This one hangs off the edge of the back a bit at one side, but that's where I put the loo tent anyway, so no problem. If not using a loo tent, I position the awning centrally along the awning rail and peg to the side handles.

002web.jpg

Comment

R20 Awning.jpg
        Not easy to secure to R20 Hi-lo as very narrow strip between door and rising roof.
        The make has disappeared from my memory bank, but it wasn't a move light. Self adhesive Velcro was used on van which was OK for tunnel unless there was a strong wind and heavy rain. Best not travel with absent minded companion who likes to sit in van with the heating on while you relax in the awning. The exhaust filled the awning in seconds. A stand alone at the side would now be my preferred option!

Comment

You touched on a very important point there, CJ. UK ! And that's to make sure that wherever you site the awning, make sure that neither the exhaust off the van or the exhaust from the fridge is exiting into the awning! Except if you're driving away from it for the day.

Love the photo. My caravan has the same sort of roof, but my awning tunnels were long enough to go right over the top, put up there and secured before I raised the roof!!

Comment

jayjay We considered over the roof but then got into issues about strain on elevating roof and ease of closing down at night if so wished. I was going to make some quip about being left wondering whether being choked by fumes was really an oversight or reflected subconscious murder intent. Then realised that I might worry folk who didn't know me.

Comment

My Quechua Base Seconds close to my camper. The Quechua can still be found second hand
              Claire

Comment

Iam sure this pic is on other threads of the forum. Our Daihatsu with demountable and an OLPRO CUBO AIR inflatable freestanding driveaway awning

I need to go on my PC for a good photo - but Graham has a video of one he had on test - the Tunnel will go over the top of a demountable and in my opinion blowing up is easier than erecting poles etc - the drawback is weight about 30KG and bulk.
                Last edited by kernowjon; 14-05-2019, 15:30.

Comment

Additional to my last post #8 Graham's video
                  https://community.smallmotorhome.co....g-video-review

and a picture of mine at Taunton last year - they do come with both guy lines and storm straps - we have removed the guy lines as superfluous and simply use the storm straps - 2 long storm straps go over the van holding the top of the tunnel in place
                  awning olpro.JPG
                  jayjay I think you have had a great idea - but in my opinion if this thread gets enough info it needs to become a sticky to be really useful

Comment

Is there a specific awning made for the Berlingo/Kangoo sized van. Most drive away awnings seem to be designed for coachbuilt/hightop motorhomes.

Comment

Originally posted by fenman View Post
                      Is there a specific awning made for the Berlingo/Kangoo sized van. Most drive away awnings seem to be designed for coachbuilt/hightop motorhomes.
                      A lot of different tailgate type ones. This site seems to have them covered!

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/cata...t6/category/2/

Don't like the idea of the tailgate having to be open all the time to support this type of tailgate awning though.

There are some smaller drive away awnings that fit. I'm pretty sure the movelite square would, and a lot in this link below.

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/awni...e-away-awnings

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/awni...ve-away-awning

Last edited by jayjay; 15-05-2019, 10:04.

Comment

Taken a few years ago but this awning also fits on the back of our Romahome Outlook.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                          Taken a few years ago but this awning also fits on the back of our Romahome Outlook.

Peter
                          Is that a Movelite Square, Peter?

fenman Here's another that will fit a small car/van/camper:

https://www.thecampercoshop.com/awni...ed-awning-2019

Comment

It is the original movelite, when they first made it that is all it was called. It morphed into the square when they made the sides more upright.

We also have an XL that we now use on our Romahome.

We are off to France in 3 weeks and will take both awnings. My sister will use the small one as a tent.

Peter

Comment

Looking for an awning that will fit on the side of a car rather than the rear end! Any ideas folks?

Comment