Awning for R 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awning for R 20

Before splashing out on a purpose-designed awning such as a movelite, I have been considering digging out our Khyam 'instant erect' 4 berth tent to use for this purpose, leaving the 'bedrooms' at home (i.e. as an overspill area for chairs, table, lounging around in wet weather type of area).

Have just tried the van with TWO people in - fine in good weather when you can sit outside most of the time, though a little cosy at night!

Would this be considered to be an awning when linked to my van, at campsites or a tent? Of course, this could work one of two ways - book as a tent user (possibly cheaper?) or book as a van user.

Anyway, which would take up less space inside the van when travelling? The tent bag is about four feet by one foot, I guess.
    Carpe diem! :)

I cannot compare the two but we use a movelite XL with our Outlook and it fits the bill for us. We take it out of the bag and pack the various parts in different places to fit with whatever else we are taking like folding bikes.

Peter

Comment

I have bought a khyam motordome but have yet to use it because.... due to use it in August. Put it up in the garden and it was dead easy on my own I intend to use the kador attachment to link it to the van... but Jay jay did suggest the kling ons as an alternative route to connect which think is an interesting idea....

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
        Before splashing out on a purpose-designed awning such as a movelite, I have been considering digging out our Khyam 'instant erect' 4 berth tent to use for this purpose, leaving the 'bedrooms' at home (i.e. as an overspill area for chairs, table, lounging around in wet weather type of area).

Have just tried the van with TWO people in - fine in good weather when you can sit outside most of the time, though a little cosy at night!

Would this be considered to be an awning when linked to my van, at campsites or a tent? Of course, this could work one of two ways - book as a tent user (possibly cheaper?) or book as a van user.

Anyway, which would take up less space inside the van when travelling? The tent bag is about four feet by one foot, I guess.
        No reason why you could not use the Khyam as an awning. It would not be too difficult to attach it to your van. Our awning attaches with a flap of extra fabric and guylines thrown over the roof and tied down on the other side. Should be possible to adapt the Khyam in a similar fashion.

You could even use your tent bedrooms sometimes if you had extra guests.

There are so many different designs of awnings, I very much doubt that any campsite would query whether it was a tent or an awning! But, probably better to book as a motorhome with an awning, rather than as a tent user with a car. Very often there is no additional charge for an awning.
        Mary

Comment

Jay Jay suggested a link to something called cling ons have work now so have to go.... but maybe she will happen along... she gave me a link to them.. And they are devices designed to clip onto tent material to enable pegging. If you do a search they would come up ... but must dash now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
            I have bought a khyam motordome but have yet to use it because.... due to use it in August. Put it up in the garden and it was dead easy on my own I intend to use the kador attachment to link it to the van... but Jay jay did suggest the kling ons as an alternative route to connect which think is an interesting idea....
            I did a google search for 'Kling ons camping' and got camping meets for Star Trek fans (Klingons)!! Maybe next year if I can fit it in to our diary

Next I tried 'Cling ons camping' and eureka! Link
            Mary

Comment

awning for R20

Thank you, folks, for the suggestions and comments

So, dressed as a Klingon, I book in with my Tardis, and claim the tent as an awning. Sounds good.
              Last edited by NomadSue; 29-07-2011, 11:43.

Comment

cling ons

Hi, All
                Now all you women buy skirts from major retailers, yes,
                Some of them use clamps to secure the top of the item to the hangars,
                They when you remove them from the crossbar they make loverly clamps/clips,
                Not all mind you, some are plastic others metal, but with a little logical!
                Can be converted quite easily to clip/clamp whatever you like,
                They even have soft jaws for material protection,
                And you try and get them off in a hurry,
                You may have to put a little 5mm hole in the end to atatch a hook,
                Check them out next time your shopping, and ask for the hangar, yes please
                I have been using some off these frorm Matterland for years and they still going strong,
                P.s great as curlers in an emergency
                If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

We thought the Movelite a little larger and bulkier than we really wanted. We picked up a Quick Tent at the Romahome AGM (looks like Ant doesn't sell them any more) but its flat roof design meant it collects water quite badly during heavy rain.

Our original plan was to use a Outhouse Handi http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/Pr...uthouse-Handi/ but this isn't tall enough for the back of an R20. So plan B - we have bought some more nylon tenting, additional poles and fittings and Liz is planning to to raise the Outhouse Handi so it makes a good fit on the van. This is non-trivial, involving moving zips etc but if it works we should have a bespoke awning that possibly fits the R20 nicely. It is pretty difficult to find anything small because of the R20's high door that means a tent has to be at least that high across its width so the door opens easily. In fact we looked at building an awning from scratch but simply bowing the roof section leads to an awning with a pretty high profile which would be potentially unstable in the wind.

Another cling-on idea. Those large spring comb hair clips (such as these on Amazon - http://tinyurl.com/3ltt9zo ) often come big enough to clamp around a tent pole. We have used them to hold loose bits of tent fabric in place when fasteners have broken. We've always got one clipped on the 'bookshelf' in the R20 for emergencies. A little drilling and adding hooks etc could make some purpose built tent hangers or clips.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                    We thought the Movelite a little larger and bulkier than we really wanted. We picked up a Quick Tent at the Romahome AGM (looks like Ant doesn't sell them any more) but its flat roof design meant it collects water quite badly during heavy rain.
                    Oh what fun we have with the heavy rain that collects in the roof of the tunnel bit that connects the awning to our van!! No matter how carefully we try to clear the puddles away, I ALWAYS end up with an involuntary shower, freezing cold water down the back of my neck etc.....water, water everwhere!
                    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                      Oh what fun we have with the heavy rain that collects in the roof of the tunnel bit that connects the awning to our van!! No matter how carefully we try to clear the puddles away, I ALWAYS end up with an involuntary shower, freezing cold water down the back of my neck etc.....water, water everwhere!
                      I used to have that problem as well! However, I found that if you attach that tunnel bit first (if poss) then erect the awning, then pull it away from the van side before you peg it down (so that the tunnel is taut) you don't get the puddles!

Another way to stop it if you can't use the first method is to get some strong pegs (like those you buy from a market, the industrial type ones,) and peg the tunnel tightly to itself from the inside, so that it doesn't flap in the wind, nor collect the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by chocoholic View Post
                        Hi, All

They when you remove them from the crossbar they make loverly clamps/clips,
                        You can always 'pinch' a couple of the pegs that hang boots to rails in the shops. They are basically 'clever pegs' where I had the original idea from for sourcing some for everyone here. I've sold out now!

Here's a linky to a person selling them on Ebay and they are reduced at the moment - and cheaper than I could sell them for! Buy some quick and see my review in the gadgets section!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
                        Last edited by jayjay; 08-08-2011, 12:21.

Comment

Decision finally made re an awning for my R20....well, almost!

I dug out our large khyam instant erect tent and put it up single-handedly in the back garden. Then decided that something measuring in the region of 10 feet X probably 13+ feet (it has an annex) would almost be big enough to park the van inside! So too big really to use as an awning unless one was sure of an enormous pitch.

So I've bought a movelite square, as suggested on this forum, not bothering with the more substantial upgrade model that is now available.

Will wait until I've been to the Roma meet in Norfolk (in a couple of weeks) to see how others actually fasten the hood over. So will use it as a stand alone structure, placed very close to the back of the van. am looking forward to the luxury of the extra space. :so happy:

Which brings me to another point. I suppose using the little solar ground lights to make a 'landing strip' would help one to line up correctly when backing into a previously erected awning at the back of the van?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                            Decision finally made re an awning for my R20....well, almost!

I dug out our large khyam instant erect tent and put it up single-handedly in the back garden. Then decided that something measuring in the region of 10 feet X probably 13+ feet (it has an annex) would almost be big enough to park the van inside! So too big really to use as an awning unless one was sure of an enormous pitch.

So I've bought a movelite square, as suggested on this forum, not bothering with the more substantial upgrade model that is now available.

Will wait until I've been to the Roma meet in Norfolk (in a couple of weeks) to see how others actually fasten the hood over. So will use it as a stand alone structure, placed very close to the back of the van. am looking forward to the luxury of the extra space. :so happy:

Which brings me to another point. I suppose using the little solar ground lights to make a 'landing strip' would help one to line up correctly when backing into a previously erected awning at the back of the van?
                            Goodmorning Sue,
                            yep landing lights help enormously,used them for years,eventually you get the hang of doing it without them but I say go for it,anything that boosts confidence is worth it.See you at norfolk.
                            Ian
                            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              Goodmorning Sue,
                              yep landing lights help enormously,used them for years,eventually you get the hang of doing it without them but I say go for it,anything that boosts confidence is worth it.See you at norfolk.
                              Ian
                              Great Will be good to put a face to the name...and to have someone say, 'Hello!' I have a little picture of my avatar that I'll try to remember to fasten to the van as well.

Comment