Khyam Motordome XL Driveaway Awning in Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khyam Motordome XL Driveaway Awning in Action

I have just returned from a four day trip to the Devizes C&CC site with the VW 'Pretend Camper' Sharan and the Khyam awning, where I spent a very pleasant time with friends Clarina and her daughter-in-law Gerry.

This is only the second time I have used the awning and I had a bit of a problem with one of the pole joints: it seemed to be stuck, and wouldn't lock, so I gave it a bit more welly and it came orf in me 'and, gov. Well, not literally, but it snapped in half. (For the benefit of the uninitiated, the poles are all integral with the fabric)

Never mind, I thought, soldier on and finish getting the awning up best I can with one very wobbly leg (the awning's, not mine! ) Actually once all the pegging out was done (hard work on a hard standing!) the unit seemed quite stable, although I did scrounge some electrical tape from Gerry's supplies to effect a temporary repair.

I suppose it is much to the Khyam's credit that it remained stable throughout the four day stay, despite the wind blowing with unwelcome enthusiasm at times. However I did, during a foray into Devizes treat myself to a roll of duck tape to reinforce my original repair. I only realised after I'd undertaken first aid to its broken leg that I actually had a spare joint in the Khyam's 'bag of bits'.

Home yesterday with the awning still damp and the garden too damp to set it up for airing purposes, so I put it up in the sitting room! (I do like a challenge...) I found a link to a video which promised to show hapless owners of broken joints how to change them. However it didn't work: just came up with an error message, so I had a look at the website's FAQs, which produced a pop-up 'chat' service. 'We're not around at the moment' it said, but promised to get back to me within a couple of hours if I left a message. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.....

So, with no instructions in the 'spares' pack and no guidance from Khyam's website I had a go at fixing it myself. Actually it was easier than I'd expected it to be and the awning now has a brand new knee replacement. After folding the thing down and rolling around the floor with it for half an hour, trying to control the apparent reams of excess fabric I even managed to get it back in its carrying bag. So, all's well that ends well. It's a great product, if a bit unwieldy, and very heavy to move around once packed in its bag. However I'm sure I'll get more proficient at getting the thing up and adjusted properly with more practice. I just hope Khyam are easier to contact than they were today, if I need to order another joint, as I was under impressed by their lack of communication.
    Cynthia

Hi Cynthia, sounds like you had a nice time at Devizes, I’m glad you managed to sort out the problem with your Khyam in spite of no help, I guess we ought to make allowances in these uncertain times, I had a similar experience with Virgin Media when I tried to use their web chat, I got a message saying there was less staff available, I tried a text number with the same result, they said not to phone unless it was an emergency to leave the line free for vulnerable customers so I tried the VM forum, in the end I got through to web chat which sorted my problem, then like buses all the help came at once I got a message from the text help service and then an email answering my forum post. So in the end the help was there I just had to be a bit more patient.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      Hi Cynthia, sounds like you had a nice time at Devizes, I’m glad you managed to sort out the problem with your Khyam in spite of no help, I guess we ought to make allowances in these uncertain times, I had a similar experience with Virgin Media when I tried to use their web chat, I got a message saying there was less staff available, I tried a text number with the same result, they said not to phone unless it was an emergency to leave the line free for vulnerable customers so I tried the VM forum, in the end I got through to web chat which sorted my problem, then like buses all the help came at once I got a message from the text help service and then an email answering my forum post. So in the end the help was there I just had to be a bit more patient.
      Thanks Graham , yes, I had a lovely few days away despite being reduced to a three-legged awning. Somewhere on this site is a post from, I think it was Rob B , explaining the best way to get the Khyam folded down, but it's finding it at the time you need it... The wifi at Devizes was so poor I never did manage to get online and the phone signal wasn't much better. If I can find the relevant post again I think I'll print it off and keep a copy with my camping gear! It'll be interesting to see whether anyone from Khyam ever gets back to me following my enquiry.

I didn't take any photos of the unit this time as I found it faintly embarrassing having a lean-to awning leaning in the wrong direction! I'd pulled the guy ropes on the opposite side of the break slightly tighter than the 'downside', and I also found leaving the tailgate elevated provided more support for the unit, but was somewhat more draughty, too!

I was amazed by the amount of movement of units there was at the Devizes site: people coming and going every day: good to see so many campers still out and about during the colder weather.
      Cynthia

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X