Pop up awnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop up awnings

Went on first excursion in my romahome put up tge movelite xl awning with a struggle on my own .ok if stopping for long time in same spot but was looking for something easier for if only a couple nights. Does anyone know if the pop up tent like the quasuia second would fit the hylo as seems easier to put up. Also looking for draught skirt free standing wuth poles and a 12 volt heater any suggestions please

Hi Janice!

I have the movelite XL and you will find that it gets easier the more you use it! I agree though, for a short stay, you might not need something so big...

The Queshua's are independent tents, you can put them next to your van, but there is no flap to attach them onto your van. I've seen a few at our meets. If you go up to the top of the page and click on the You tube link, there's a demo (no 12 in Product Demo's) which tells you how to put them down! Putting them up isn't a problem, but getting them back down again is a knack.

For just a couple of nights on my own once, I just put up the loo tent next to the back door, but it wasn't ideal. I believe you can get a double toilet type tent now, which might be a bit more useful. Something like this:https://www.towsure.com/product/The_...er_Toilet_Tent but it still doesn't attach to your unit like a driveaway awning.

I'm pretty sure someone found a pop up awning not long ago, but I can't find the thread. Hopefully one of the mods will be along shortly with a link!
    Jay

Comment

Heres the link from the other thread on the skirt you are after.

http://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/id3.html

Cant find the tent you refer to but this one will fit. Nice price though!

http://www.vango.co.uk/vango-airbeam....html?Itemid=0

Comment

I use a Khyam quick-erect tent with Herbert as a freestanding awning. They are quite heavy but go up in a matter of seconds, easily manageable by one person and very stable too. Mine is just a garden shelter so doesnt have a flap to attach to the van but they do make this type as well.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=...%20XL%20Awning

Quite pricy new but you see them secondhand on ebay and the like regularly.
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I used to use (Till it broke itself in a storm) a Quecha Base with my Autosleeper, it butted up well to the side door and looked like it was attached - but it wouldn't work so well on the rear door of a Romahome as it is higher. Although as long as you don't mind a gap between the two it would be ok.

As far as I know there isn't a pop-up that will attach to the van. I tried a Khyam but found I couldn't do it on my own - not got long enough arms and not very strong - but a lot of people do erect them on their own.

12v is not powerful enough to run a heater - the best solution for heat off-grid seems to be a low wattage electric blanket run through an inverter, although I haven't tried it.

Comment

Awning

Originally posted by janice View Post
            Went on first excursion in my romahome put up tge movelite xl awning with a struggle on my own .ok if stopping for long time in same spot but was looking for something easier for if only a couple nights. Does anyone know if the pop up tent like the quasuia second would fit the hylo as seems easier to put up. Also looking for draught skirt free standing wuth poles and a 12 volt heater any suggestions please
            I too found the movelite a bit much to handle by myself. A good quality but a struggle for little old me. I'v just bought a Reimo Tour Easy for my Romini, which looks easier for mr o handle. It does ave an attachment skirt which may or may not fit over the top of the Romini. I'll try it out when the weather improves.Even if it doesn't go over the top, I don't mind. Pam

Comment

Personally, if you want something quick to erect I would steer clear of the Reimo Tour Easy as the pole tubes go all the way round; from my experience of using a tunnel tent like that last year, threading the poles through takes absolutely ages, especially if you are on your own.

I had a Gelert Atlantis 3 and my record pitching time of 50 mins included 35 mins of pole threading and 15 minutes for everything else. By the end of the summer I was heartily sick of it.

Comment

A handy hint for anyone with a movelite - put the driveaway hoody bit over the back of your van first and attach/peg down, then put the poles through and erect the movelite. For some reason, it's loads easier this way! (rather than first erecting it and then dragging it up to the van, then trying to attach the hoody bit afterwards, if you see what I mean.)

No such thing as a 12v heater, like Caz has already confirmed.

The best thing is EHU and a small oil-filled radiator in the sort of weather we are getting at the moment.

Comment

This is the Quechua Base tent next to my R10. It doesn't actually attach to the van but sort-of snuggles up quite neatly! Found it easy to put away once I'd watched the highly-instructional video made by a member of this Forum! van_and_pod.jpg
                  Last edited by nutshell; 26-03-2013, 00:22.

Comment

Originally posted by nutshell View Post
                    This is the Quechua Base tent next to my R10. It doesn't actually attach to the van but sort-of snuggles up quite neatly! Found it easy to put away once I'd watched the highly-instructional video made by a member of this Forum! [ATTACH=CONFIG]4021[/ATTACH]
                    Looks like they were made for each other!
                    derek b and Babs

Comment

The XL version of the Quechua base tent is currently on special offer at £149.99 - normal rrp £249.99 so a good saving and the same price as the smaller base tent pictured above.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seco...html#avantages

big_800PX_14469028-3.jpg
                      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Huff View Post
                        The XL version of the Quechua base tent is currently on special offer at £149.99 - normal rrp £249.99 so a good saving and the same price as the smaller base tent pictured above.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seco...html#avantages

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4022[/ATTACH]
                        That's very similar to a Polish nuns cornette!!
                        derek b and Babs

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments and help will try the way that was suggested with the movelite to put sleeve over back of van first and see how that goes , what about an ordinary electric fan heater I have seenthat they do those with cigarette lighter attachment . Not sure about the quashuia popup as my door is at back of van so not sure if would be high enough to open if it was close to van ,

Janice

Comment

I have one of the little 12v fan heaters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket. It can't be used via a standard adaptor, has to be plugged directly into the socket, so can't be used at the same time as the sat nav, phone charger etc. It takes so much power that it is not recommended to run it unless the engine is running and it also recommends that you don't run it for more than 15 mins at a time as it could overheat.

Frankly, it's as much use as a chocolate fireguard. OK for helping defrost the windscreen while you wait for the engine to warm up and do the job properly, that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by janice View Post
                              Thanks everyone for your comments and help will try the way that was suggested with the movelite to put sleeve over back of van first and see how that goes , what about an ordinary electric fan heater I have seenthat they do those with cigarette lighter attachment . Not sure about the quashuia popup as my door is at back of van so not sure if would be high enough to open if it was close to van ,

Janice
                              I've seen the Quashy pop up thingy at the back of a van. There is a small gap between the two, but it works fine. You just put it close to the door, the one I saw was pegged down just beyond the step, so that's the sort of gap you will have. But a small step down and into the tent.

Hot water bottles and thermal undies (and maybe the 12v electric blanket) is the best way to keep warm. The only things you can really run on 12v are the lights and things like mobile chargers. If you have a fridge running on gas, that will produce a bit of heat, as will boiling a kettle for your hot water bottle.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X