Drive away Awnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive away Awnings

Just found this and wondered if anyone has used 1 and if there any good, as they are a good price on here http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/det...Motor%20Awning
    There over £100 everywhere else
    Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

That rings a bell - I'm sure someone on here bought one last year.

Comment

That's a very good price for a drive-away.

However, it doesn't seem to have any mudflaps at the bottom of the awning, so you could have difficulty getting it flat to the ground with no gaps if the ground isn't flat. Makes for draughts and billowing if so.... I might be wrong though, I would definitely phone them and ask if it does or not, sometimes it's difficult to see on photos.

Also check the HH (hydrostatic head) number. The higher this is, the more rain it will stand before leaking. Minimum is 1000, but a HH of 2000 or more is a better bet.
      http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/hydrostatic-head.asp

It looks up to the job for me at that price! If no-one is sleeping outside in it!

Comment

Naughty that they don't state the Hydrostatic Head (HH) on the listing, thats crucial information. 1500 mm HH is usually considered the bare minimum but I personally would't use any tent or awning under 2000 mm HH, 3000 mm is preferable for coping with an English Summer!
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I have seen the same awning advertised elsewhere with the descriptions including, 'suitable for fair weather use' and 'not for use in poor weather conditions'.
          Pyramid have also closed as a company http://www.pyramid-products.com/
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Thanks all for the help.
            It won't be used for sleeping in but it would be used as a Stall cover when at fete's and galas,
            This is the problem as i don't want to take my gazebo as its not easy to put up on my own.
            St i thought if i could say do it from an awning attached either on the side or the back of the car
            it would make my life easier when doing weekend events. that wat all i have to do is Zip the
            front up and climb into the back of the car LOL.
            Be Free, Be Safe, Be Happy and most of all Enjoy Yourself

Comment

Remember that drive away awnings do not work very well on the back of cars with lift up tailgates.

Have a look at Caranex as they are designed for lift up tailgates.

Peter

Comment

I purchased a Pyramid superlite, arrived today in the post so hopefully I'll get round to erecting it this weekend.

Will report back with a few pics and opinions

Comment

Are you still struggling with it

Comment

Drive away awnings

Originally posted by Teloupee View Post
                    Just found this and wondered if anyone has used 1 and if there any good, as they are a good price on here http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/det...Motor%20Awning
                    There over £100 everywhere else
                    Not familiar with this one. They all pretty much look like the movelite ones. Nice price. Looks good. Pam

Comment

Would 1 buy an awning at a Show or elsewhere?

Comment

I wouldn't, unless they had a really good offer on - better to look at the show and decide which you want then trawl t'interweb thingy for a better price.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                          Remember that drive away awnings do not work very well on the back of cars with lift up tailgates.

Have a look at Caranex as they are designed for lift up tailgates.

Peter
                          Hmmm that's interesting. Is it only car tailgates or vans as well? Having made my van decision I definitely need an awning for someone to sleep so this is my next project!

Comment

For what its worth I bought a Khyam Tailgate XL for use on my R20. I had a Khyam Motordome on a previous van and was pleased with that. The Tailgate XL is not the cheapest by any means but when you consider the potential benefit a good awning makes to a sited Romahome then I believe its features justify the cost. I can have the thing up in 15 mins on my own and another 10 - 15 to complete pegging out and attaching to the van. The "tunnel" section clears the door and when closed off, provides a useful and private built in toilet tent function for day/night use and combined with a windbreak around the open canopy facility makes a huge additional living area for lounging and cooking. I frequently use the drive-away facility with no issues. Two lines cross over the roof and I hook them on to the holes in the front wheels and another two each peg down just in front of the rear wheels. When packed away, the whole thing fits behind the driving seats. It works for me!

David

Comment

Concur about the Khyam Tailgate XL.
                              I've had umpteen drive away awnings over 30 years. This is the best I've had.
                              Cross the forward facing guy lines from the tunnel over the windscreen and loop them around the door mirrors. Fewer pegs!
                              Only issue is condensation on the inside in the mornings, but you can always use it for a cold shower!
                              All the synthetic awnings suffer from this though.
                              :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X