Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altnahara CC site...

Hi all,
    If you want to get away from it all, this is the place to go. Once you leave Lairg you are on proper roads with passing places! It's about 23 miles to the site on the shore of Loch Naver. Directly opposite is Ben Klibreck which is a stunning backdrop. About half way you pass the Crask Inn, bit remote for a pub but if you fancy buying it it's for sale. Many Lands End John O Groat cyclists stop the night also also hill walkers climbing Ben Klibreck. From memory there are about 25 pitches but we were a stones throw from the Loch and still had a hookup. The fresh water is sourced from the burn and although it passes through many micron filters it is still very peaty. We went out cycling along the Loch and further to the North East, fantastic. To the North is Tongue about the same distance as Lairg. Don't forget to take some extra beer and wine as it's a long way for a bit of shopping. 10/10 if you like that sort of thing!!!
    Attached Files

That looks a lovely setting, thanks for sharing.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Crask Inn

I go every September to the Crask Inn and fly fish the surrounding lochs, but not any more see BBC news Scotland report below.

Shame an end of an era Mick & Kai wonderful host's and I wish them a long retirement which is long over due.

B.

The owners of a pub in the Highlands have given it as a gift to their local church.
      Michael and Kai Geldard had planned to sell the Crask Inn in Lairg, but have instead handed it over to their local Scottish Episcopal Church.
      The couple are members of the church's congregation.
      The inn, which has four bedrooms, is to continue to be run as a pub and as a bed and breakfast, but will also be used for religious services.
      It is to be run by Douglas Campbell, a Eucharistic minister, and his GP wife Denise. They are planning to move from Hopeman in Moray in April.
      Mr Campbell, who is personal assistant to the Right Reverend Mark Strange, the Episcopalian Bishop of the United Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness, said neither he or his wife had run a pub before but were looking forward to the new challenge.

Comment

I stayed in a excellent B&B in Altnaharra in 2006 on the last night cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats. It was opposite the very smart Altnaharra Hotel. The hotel had an old traditional bar, I think called the Gillie's Bar.
        The B&B hosts were superb, served an excellent breakfast and provided me with a delicious three course evening meal.
        Most people on this site will naturally have their own accommodation with them but if you need a B&B in this area I can recommend it; assuming the then owners are still running it.
        I cycled past a few caravans next to a Loch and what a stunning location. The whole area has views to take your breath away.

Comment