Chertsey Camping and Caravanning Club Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chertsey Camping and Caravanning Club Site

Address: Chertsey Camping and Caravanning Club Site, Bridge Road, Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 8JX

We stayed here for a two night stay on our recent holiday, we had tried to book the site in advance but couldn't book a pitch with no electricity which is what we wanted, I left my phone number but no one got back to us so we just turned up. I have to say that the welcome we got was not very good, we asked for a non electric pitch and were told that there were non available as camper vans weren't allowed on the camping field, when I asked why not they said because if it rains we would have trouble getting off. At the time there had been no rain and it was one of the hottest Septembers since records began and the forecast was good.

I asked what pitches were available and she said hard standing or grass pitches with electric, so apparently the grass with electric must have been easier to get off for motorhomes than the camping field! I asked if we could have a grass pitch and not use the electric but no that wasn't possible, so we were being forced to have electric whether we wanted it or not, no she said because we didn't have to use the electric but we had to pay for it. The attitude of this lady was not very friendly at all in spite of the fact that my enquiries were very polite. We were then told that if we wanted non electric there was a non club site up the road which could accommodate us. Great, so send us to another site and lose business.

We reluctantly opted for a grass with electric pitch and paid the extra for electric we didn't want. On being shown to the pitch by a really friendly gent we told him of our experience booking in and he said he didn't know why she had said that because vans had camped on grass before without paying for electric! I spoke to the site manager the next day and he said if he had been around he probably would have used a bit of discretion and found us a spot but the site assistants can't make that decision. So if you are planning to go and want a non electric pitch make sure the site manager is on site first.

I have tried to leave a perfectly polite but slightly negative review on their website but it hasn't been published apparently they only publish positive reviews.

That aside it was a pleasant site right on the side of the Thames (fishing £3 per day but only limited spaces), there is a big community room with a table tennis table, tables, chairs and a kitchen, the toilets as usual are kept very clean and all the hot water and showers are free. It is very park like with lots of trees for shade and boy did we need it with temperatures in the 80s. The train line to London is within easy reach of the site and there are some pleasant walks down the river.

A lovely site apart from the rather rude site assistant (so much for the "friendly club"). We paid £19 per night for a grass pitch with electricity.

In contrast we then moved to a park resorts site on the Isle of Wight with excellent facilities, pitches with electric or without electric, 2 swimming pools one outdoor and one indoor, free nightly entertainment, bar/restaurant, very pleasant and friendly staff who couldn't do enough and it cost £9 per night with electricity, that's a whopping £10 A NIGHT DIFFERENCE for a top class site with far superior facilities.

Chertsey Video Review here:

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

I wish the C&CC would get their act together now. They have had long enough. The should be able to cater for everyone who wishes to camp in whatever way they like!

Comment

Very much an echo of my experience two or three years ago.
      Except that in my case they accepted a non EHU phone call booking from me when I was on the South coast.
      When I arrived, too late to find an alternative site I was told that there were only EHU pitches available.
      Like you Graham, I could not have an EHU pitch which I would have to pay in full for whether I used EHU or not. I did not use the EHU and did not stay as long as I originally intended.
      I wonder if the same woman has been there a long time?
      Jim.

Just an after thought, but maybe one of your revues about the site on here might have produced a different reaction from head office?
      Last edited by Twolitre; 23-09-2016, 22:32.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I've done a review on Trip Advisor at least they are independent and allow negative reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          In contrast we then moved to a park resorts site on the Isle of Wight with excellent facilities, pitches with electric or without electric, 2 swimming pools one outdoor and one indoor, free nightly entertainment, bar/restaurant, very pleasant and friendly staff who couldn't do enough and it cost £9 per night with electricity, that's a whopping £10 A NIGHT DIFFERENCE for a top class site with far superior facilities.
          A good review and, as you've discovered, non-club and openly commercial sites tend to offer a lot more in the way of services and facilities, together with a friendly welcome, for a fraction of the cost and no membership fee either.

Comment

I get increasingly disappointed with the direction the C&CC are going and I would probably drop them like a hot brick if it weren't for the excellent Temporary Holiday Sites ran by friendly members for members.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            Graham

Comment

We just had a couple of days at Moffat C&CC and the HSM there told me quite frankly that they have stopped accepting reservations on grass (with or without ehu) for motorhomes. They thought this was better than having to tell people that their booked pitch was too wet to use, which they'd been having to do more than half the time for the last few years.

(We got a perfect example when we were there. The chap on the next pitch to us totally misjudged reversing his (hired) motorhome into the hardstanding and ended up with two wheels on the grass, spinning and digging themselves in. Four of us eventually managed to push him out, leaving two long, deep, muddy trenches.)

They will book caravans onto grass as they don't have drive wheels to tear up the ground, but, as often as not, you'll have to park your car in the storage area (all hardstanding) and they'll use their own tractor to pitch your van. I dread to think how much of a backlog there must be at busy times!

It didn't make any difference to us as we wanted the ehu, but I did point out that this effectively increased the minimum price for motorhomes by a fiver a night, and maybe the policy should be pointed out in the site's details.
              Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post

Just an after thought, but maybe one of your revues about the site on here might have produced a different reaction from head office?
                My thoughts, too. If the management had been aware that not only do you write reviews for this site and Trip Adviser, but also that you and Pauline actually run this wonderful camping forum and could influence members and potential trade, they should have realised the significant of not meeting your needs!
                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

If there is a genuine reason for motorhomes not being allowed on grass, such as at Moffat as you describe then I'm fine with that but there is no reason why we should be forced to have ehu, that should be optional like it is on many commercial sites.

Comment

I have every sympathy with Graham and Pauline re the attitude at many C&CC sites nowadays, and I too would go elsewhere but for 3 reasons.

1. I have found on some commercial sites that the proprietors do not respect the 6 metre rule, and I don't like being jammed between other units like a sardine!
                    2. Noise levels: depends on whether there's a pub or entertainment on site, but even if the bar closes at 11pm you can still have boozy campers 'singing' tunelessly into the night. Lovely.
                    3. Now I'm a senior citizen, as well as my bus pass I also get the Age Concession Rate with the C&CC.

Having said that it's probably easier for me with a caravan (especially a very small, lightweight one) to be accepted onto a pitch of my choice. I have found, during my tours, a few 'jobs-worths' in the reception area at C&CC sites, but I know, once I go into the site, there is a certain standard I can expect. As a single oldie I feel I get value for money with the Club, with a sense of security I haven't always enjoyed on commercial sites.

Anyway, I like collecting the pennons!
                    Cynthia.

Comment

I feel that I must add that Chertsey is the only C&CC Site I have visited which insisted on unwanted and unused EHU being paid for. Though I have occupied pitches with An EHU point I did not want or use and for which I was not charged.
                      Apart from one grumpy manager near Bristol I have been more than happy with them.
                      Of course I am a caravanner, not a motorhome user.
                      Jim.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I've added a video to the campsite review and tried not to moan too much about the electric situation.

Have a look here if you are interested.

Graham

Comment