Lower Hyde Park Resorts Touring Site, Shanklin, Isle of Wight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Hyde Park Resorts Touring Site, Shanklin, Isle of Wight

We booked this using the Small Motorhome website discount http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/park...ing-offer.html and along with the already discounted September price we paid £9 per night for a large grass pitch with electric. The ferry was once again heavily discounted through Park Resorts and we paid £39 return, Wightlink Portsmouth to Fishbourne.

The site is huge and is populated mainly by static mobile homes, the small area of touring pitches are on their own away from the mobile homes and have their own reception and warden. The pitches are large grass pitches or hard standing with mesh under the grass (not gravel). The toilets on the touring site are kept very clean and showers and hot water for washing/pot washing is free, there is also a bath if you wish to use it. The mother and daughter team who look after the touring clients are very friendly and helpful, we had problem with our electricity and thought it was the bollard they immediately phoned the maintenance team who came promptly and checked the bollard only to find it was ok and much to my embarrassment the fault with a loose connection in our cable.

All the staff on site are either very well trained or just naturally friendly people who enjoy their jobs because everyone had a friendly word and really seemed keen to help us enjoy our holiday. There are two small swimming pools on site one indoor and one outdoor, a bar/restaurant, nightly entertainment in a huge show bar and childrens couriers to entertain the kids if they are travelling with you. When you arrive on site you are issued with a welcome pack that includes passes to all the entertainment, pools etc. and you can also use these at the other Park Resorts site just down the road which has bigger pools apparently although we didn't venture down there to see.

You can walk to a lovely sandy beach within 15/20 minutes and the shops/pubs/restaurants etc. of Shanklin are just 5/10 minutes walk, there is a very handy Lidl supermarket just at the entrance, plus a Coop supermarket just down the road. For walking and cycling there is an old railway line which goes to Wroxhall via Brading, bikes can be hired on site. The bus service on the Island is very good and the resorts of Cowes, Fishbourne, Yarmouth, Ventnor, Sandown, Ryde etc., can be easily reached, bus passes are accepted.

All in all a great holiday at a really lovely site for a budget price, what's not to like?

See our video review here:

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

A great review, and I would love to go there, Graham and Pauleen. I wonder if they allow people towing caravans? I know some islands don't, but I can't remember which ones... also wonder how much the ferry would be when towing the tin tent along! I shall have to get my car set up for singles camping next year!

Comment

I have just done a little exploring on the Park Resorts website, using the code. The nearest site to me (107 miles away, I think!) is Withersea Sands in Yorkshire. After putting the code in, the price for a week was just £34.45 inc. EHU! What a bargain!

Although I can't go there this year, I fully intend to go there next year, everything being ok, so I hope we still get a code for next year as well!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        A great review, and I would love to go there, Graham and Pauleen. I wonder if they allow people towing caravans? I know some islands don't, but I can't remember which ones... also wonder how much the ferry would be when towing the tin tent along! I shall have to get my car set up for singles camping next year!
        Hi Jayjay

Caravans are allowed on the island there were lots on the campsite. The ferry fare to IOW for towing a tin tent in September this year was £64.

I am hoping to negotiate another camping discount for next year from Park Resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Ooops! Withernsea Sands is 157 miles away from here - but easy to drive to!

Ravensglass looks nice as well, but not sure if I want to glow in the dark! Isn't there a great big power station near there?

Been looking at your You Tube reviews of these places, both look great!
          Last edited by jayjay; 26-09-2016, 07:34.

Comment

Ooops! Withernsea Sands is 157 miles away from here - but easy to drive to! Ravensglass looks nice as well, but not sure if I want to glow in the dark! Isn't there a great big power station near there? Been looking at your You Tube reviews of these places, both look great!
            I don't think I've done a video of Withernsea have I? My memory is failing

Ravenglass C&CC site was lovely we really enjoyed it there, I think there is a power station somewhere around there but not close to the campsite and it didn't bother us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            Graham

Comment

Ooops! Withernsea Sands is 157 miles away from here - but easy to drive to!

Ravensglass looks nice as well, but not sure if I want to glow in the dark! Isn't there a great big power station near there?

Been looking at your You Tube reviews of these places, both look great!
              Sellafield is up the coast north of Ravenglass . the eskdale vally is very nice and home of Lille ratty the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway there are some lovely beach's in the area. Lakes and mountains also. the CCC site ravenglass has 56 pitches.
              BuzznDave

Comment

Sounds like a good idea for next month's week away for me then, Dave! It's not too far away and reasonably priced! I like to go somewhere new, and I haven't been there!

Comment

For those interested I've now added a video review of this site and you can view it here:

Graham

Comment

I>O>W

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    We booked this using the Small Motorhome website discount http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/park...ing-offer.html and along with the already discounted September price we paid £9 per night for a large grass pitch with electric. The ferry was once again heavily discounted through Park Resorts and we paid £39 return, Wightlink Portsmouth to Fishbourne.

The site is huge and is populated mainly by static mobile homes, the small area of touring pitches are on their own away from the mobile homes and have their own reception and warden. The pitches are large grass pitches or hard standing with mesh under the grass (not gravel). The toilets on the touring site are kept very clean and showers and hot water for washing/pot washing is free, there is also a bath if you wish to use it. The mother and daughter team who look after the touring clients are very friendly and helpful, we had problem with our electricity and thought it was the bollard they immediately phoned the maintenance team who came promptly and checked the bollard only to find it was ok and much to my embarrassment the fault with a loose connection in our cable.

All the staff on site are either very well trained or just naturally friendly people who enjoy their jobs because everyone had a friendly word and really seemed keen to help us enjoy our holiday. There are two small swimming pools on site one indoor and one outdoor, a bar/restaurant, nightly entertainment in a huge show bar and childrens couriers to entertain the kids if they are travelling with you. When you arrive on site you are issued with a welcome pack that includes passes to all the entertainment, pools etc. and you can also use these at the other Park Resorts site just down the road which has bigger pools apparently although we didn't venture down there to see.

You can walk to a lovely sandy beach within 15/20 minutes and the shops/pubs/restaurants etc. of Shanklin are just 5/10 minutes walk, there is a very handy Lidl supermarket just at the entrance, plus a Coop supermarket just down the road. For walking and cycling there is an old railway line which goes to Wroxhall via Brading, bikes can be hired on site. The bus service on the Island is very good and the resorts of Cowes, Fishbourne, Yarmouth, Ventnor, Sandown, Ryde etc., can be easily reached, bus passes are accepted.

All in all a great holiday at a really lovely site for a budget price, what's not to like?

See our video review here:

realy good post thanks for that when are we all going !!!!!!ticks all the boxes buzzndave
                    BuzznDave

Comment