As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Magpies, Seend, Nr. Devizes, Wiltshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Magpies, Seend, Nr. Devizes, Wiltshire.

Address: Three Magpies, Bath Rd, Sells Green, Melksham SN12 6RN

Phone: 01380 828389

Price 2017: £17.00 per unit with electric, £14.00 per unit without electric, Tents are from £10.00 (Rallies can negotiate cheaper prices)

This campsite has two large fields at the back of The Three Magpies pub which a short walk from the banks of the Avon and Kennet Canal, one field has plenty of electric hook ups the other field right next to it has none. The pitches are laid to grass and the ground can get a bit boggy in places. There are hard standing electric hook ups just at the entrance to the field but most of these seemed to be taken by resident caravans when we were there.

The toilets are based in a porta cabin with showers which cost a pound, from reports we received from people using the showers they were not very good. On the whole the toilet facilities left a lot to be desired for the price of the pitches.

When you arrive you have to go to the bar before booking in, we found that the landlady was not over friendly and we weren't particularly made to feel very welcome, in spite of the fact that we were bringing over 30 units to camp for a rally and had booked the restaurant for a night. However the food and ale in the pub can be highly recommended and is definitely a cut above the usual pub fare, we had an excellent meal.

A walk up the canal and you come to the famous Caen Hill Flight which is a series of 29 locks and amazing feat of engineering and one not to be missed, Devizes is around 3-4 mile walk up the canal passing the flight of locks and is a lovely market town with some nice independent shops to browse round, plus pubs and eateries. If you don't want to walk up the canal there is a good bus service on the road outside the campsite which goes to Devizes one way and Melksham the other way.

Verdict: The campsite we thought was a little expensive for the facilities on offer, the landlady was rather unfriendly, I thought we had caught her on a bad day but reading other reviews this was a common comment from people using the pub and campsite. However as I said before the food and beer is excellent. If you are member of the Camping and Caravanning Club you may prefer to use their site with excellent facilities which is next door and just visit the pub for a meal.

Here's our video review:

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Caravan and Camping club site is very good, facilities were excellent and you adjoin the canal.

Comment

Good to see the decathlon pop up tent - base camp.
      also the demountable in the corner!

Comment

Thanks for the review Graham. For me, the C & C C site would win hands down - much cheaper and better facilities. But I like the sound of the pub food.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          Thanks for the review Graham. For me, the C & C C site would win hands down - much cheaper and better facilities. But I like the sound of the pub food.
          Yes, I definitely think for you Caz or anyone who is on their own the C&CC would probably be cheaper and far superior facilities.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

The club site is excellent I stayed there for the Thursday night before the rally, lovely toilets and showers and cheaper for a solo camper!
            It is next door to Three Magpies so has the advantage of being close by as the food there is excellent.
            Hoping to go there again next year.
            Gill

Comment

I had a wander around the club site and liked it a lot. I plan to go there sometime next year, as there are a lot of places to explore in the area.
              Claire

Comment

I also had a look at the club camp site and talked to the warden. She told me that they were fully booked at weekends for the rest of 2017. She also told me you needed to book well in advance during school holidays.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                  Good to see the decathlon pop up tent - base camp.
                  also the demountable in the corner!
                  That was the Clockwork Orange
                  Jon
                  Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X