slapton sands caravan and camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slapton sands caravan and camping

My first experience of a caravan and camping club site at slapton sands located near Dartmouth.
    Getting there involves a big detour around kingsbridge.
    The views from the site are second to none. The facilities were spotless but could do with upgrading a tad. Also no hose on motorhome point (not sure if this is usual or not but meant i couldnt fill up)
    The beach is within walking distance down the hill in 5 mins, and the village of slapton is the other way about the same distance. The village is great with two pubs, and an old parish church. Unfortunately what they dont tell you is the short road to dartmouth has been literally eroded away by the sea so you cant get to dartmouth without going through slapton. This involves going down one of the narrowest and busiest walled lanes i have ever been down. A bit harry.
    Plenty of hard standings and grass pitches with or without electric, and the toilet blocks well positioned.
    4 out 5 for me. I'd go again, just a shame the beach road is blocked.

Forgot to say i was astonished how quiet this C&CC site was in the night. Im not sure if i liked this or not.

Comment

We always carry a length of hose as quite a lot of c&cc sites don't have hoses on the taps.

It might be a hygiene thing as it has been known for some not so nice people to put the hose in their toilets to wash them out

Comment

Thanks for the review llywelyn1984 we’ve been to that site but it was a while ago now, must get down that way again.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
          Forgot to say i was astonished how quiet this C&CC site was in the night. Im not sure if i liked this or not.
          What is there not to like about the peace and quiet? Especially at night? It's one of the reasons I love caravanning, especially at Hideaway sites. I haven't been to the Slapton Sands site since 1995! About time I revisited it, if it is still so nice and quiet.

Glad you enjoyed your first stay at a Club site anyway. I've just earned my 25 years 'veterans' badge so will only pay £22.00 for my membership fees this year.
          Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Glad you enjoyed your first stay at a Club site anyway. I've just earned my 25 years 'veterans' badge so will only pay £22.00 for my membership fees this year.
            Cynthia.
            Didn't know they did that. We are not far off our 25 years

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post

Didn't know they did that. We are not far off our 25 years
              Will reply to this on 'General Camping Discussion' Pauline , save clogging up the Camping Sites Review thread with off-topic stuff.
              Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                My first experience of a caravan and camping club site at slapton sands located near Dartmouth.
                Getting there involves a big detour around kingsbridge.
                The views from the site are second to none. The facilities were spotless but could do with upgrading a tad. Also no hose on motorhome point (not sure if this is usual or not but meant i couldnt fill up)
                The beach is within walking distance down the hill in 5 mins, and the village of slapton is the other way about the same distance. The village is great with two pubs, and an old parish church. Unfortunately what they dont tell you is the short road to dartmouth has been literally eroded away by the sea so you cant get to dartmouth without going through slapton. This involves going down one of the narrowest and busiest walled lanes i have ever been down. A bit harry.
                Plenty of hard standings and grass pitches with or without electric, and the toilet blocks well positioned.
                4 out 5 for me. I'd go again, just a shame the beach road is blocked.
                I like Slapton very much,I have been there many times.I usually stay at the Caravan & Motorhome club site at Slapton. The Fish & Chips are very good there and look out for Stokely farm shop,it's very good. Kingsbridge is nice with easy parking by the inlet that allows you to wander around town.
                I saw Peregrine Falcons by the lighthouse at Start point.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

The 'South Hams' is a lovely area - I too like it very much, but I found last time I visited the area that it's not a very dog-friendly area. Probably due to the thoughtless minority who don't pick up after their dogs. There is, however no restriction on the coastal footpath, apart from the usual care needed if there are farm animals in nearby fields, or kamakazi rabbits which tempt dogs into running over the cliff edge whilst giving chase....
                  Cynthia.

Comment

I drove on the coast road in December. It was literally washed away in the bad storm about a month ago. The car park that we stopped in to admire the view and have a coffee in is no longer there!

My big disappointment was Blackpool Sands. Have never been there before as no dogs allowed in the summer. Parked up expecting to go for a nice walk on a sandy beach but there is no sand!!!! Blackpool Stones would be a more accurate description.

Comment

Comment

The road made a lovely walk.

I think I found it a bit too quiet for my liking, I was almost afraid to go to the toilet in the night. I also I really enjoy the sunny evening feeling on a camp site everyone having a beer and enjoying themselves. I suppose as it was my first time on the C&CC site I felt a but like I was at my in laws house and therefore was a bit on edge! There were also a shortage of people my own age (probably all been stabbed?) and I had serious motorhome envy! (you're never happy she moaned). Saying that everyone I spoke to was very nice.

Also they closed the showers here at 10.30am until 12am, so breakfast was always a rush!

Comment