Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widdecombe Farm Touring Park, Paignton. TQ3 1ST

I was staying at this delightful site recently for the event of a rally:

Easy to reach, being just off the A380 route to Paignton. It is a C&CC Listed Site. It's tucked into the Devonshire hills, but being neatly tiered all the pitches (mostly hardstanding with EHU) are flat (it says in their literature, but my 'ground floor' pitch was slightly sloping!)

A lovely, scenic, clean and tidy site with pleasant open views of the surrounding countryside, especially from nearer the top of the site. There are a few static 'vans on site but located away from the touring pitches so you're not really aware of them. Good sized, free showers, the amenity blocks were immaculately clean. There's a large block at the lower end of the site near the reception area and another, smaller block up on the top tier. Other amenities include a laundry room and washing up sinks. There is a small shop with just a few food essentials. Strangely, the proprietors seem to use most of the shop space to sell rather ducky souvenirs! Next to the shop is 'Poppy's Restaurant'. Yum! I certainly enjoyed the one meal I ate there; a vegan curry, so I was a very happy bunny!

Almost opposite the the lower end of the amenities block is 'Gordon's Bar' where live entertainment was on offer three evenings a week. I had reservations about this aspect of the site, however the entertainment comprised single acts and the music supporting them was kept at a level which didn't disturb those choosing not to attend. Although I was pitched on the lower tier I couldn't hear any sound from the bar at all in the evenings. I think Gordon was a bit disappointed that the group with which I was camping were a fairly abstemious lot and his takings weren't bolstered much by our presence on site! For us ralliers, the bar building was available for our use in the mornings too.

Dogs are allowed on this site, there is a small field for short 'toilet requirements' walks but there are footpaths leading away from the site for those wanting to venture further afield.

So, a nice site with friendly, helpful staff, in pleasant surroundings, albeit with a bit of traffic noise from the nearby dual carriageway. Now. See if I can upload some piccies...

Widdecombe Farm site .JPG

Well, there we are... the system will only let me upload one photo, so there it is.
    Cynthia.

That looks lovely. Btw your link didn't work but this one does. http://www.widdicombefarm.co.uk/find-us.php
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Would that be the Widdecombe of fame in the folk song - 'Tom Pierce, Tom Pierce lend me your grey mare....' all about Widdecombe Fair?

Great review, BTW

Comment

I can't sing that song without remembering my father, and how he put on a silly voice for 'arry 'awk.

I believe it is the same place, Jayjay. And yes, an excellent review, Cynthia.

Comment

Thank you for your comments jayjay & NomadSue Two points; sorry the link didn't work. Interestingly I used this website's own 'add a link' facility to post it so rather strange it didn't work! (I normally add links manually)

Sue I don't think Widdecombe Farm is linked to the location of the famous Fair of the same name, which only has 1 'd' not 2. Also, Widecombe Fair has been held on Dartmoor since the dawn of time, I believe.

Thank you for your kind remarks, anyway. I forgot to add any details about price, I think because I had paid the rally host, not the site, as the host had negotiated a special rate for us rallyers. (Worth remembering for anyone thinking of holding a SMH rally at that location!) Also, the site is only open from mid-March to the end of October. Shame. With a bar/recreation room it would be ideal for a Christmas/New Year meet!
          Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
            Thank you for your comments jayjay & NomadSue Two points; sorry the link didn't work. Interestingly I used this website's own 'add a link' facility to post it so rather strange it didn't work! (I normally add links manually)

Sue I don't think Widdecombe Farm is linked to the location of the famous Fair of the same name, which only has 1 'd' not 2. Also, Widecombe Fair has been held on Dartmoor since the dawn of time, I believe.

Yes, Cyntha. You are right! As you say, a different spelling and totally different location.

Talking about spelling, the link you had posted has a spelling error in, which would be why it didn't work. That is, assuming the link I found was correct! LOL

Comment