Shardlow Marina and Caravan Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shardlow Marina and Caravan Park

Site Address: Shardlow Marina and Caravan Park, London Road, Shardlow, Derbys DE72 2GL

Phone: 01332 792832

Rating: It's hard to rate this, there are good points and bad points, you'll have to make your own mind up.

Price Guide: £20 with electric, £18 non electric for unit and 4 occupants. Extras for dogs, awnings, gazebo's, pup tents and additional cars.

Description: When we arrived we couldn't find reception, I parked and walked round for what seemed ages until I found someone to ask and the reception is in a large grey building that looks like a warehouse actually in the working side of the marina, there is a chandelry which sells very basic food supplies but lots of accessories for boats, caravans and motorhomes. Once booked in you pay a £20 deposit for barrier fob and toilet/shower block keys.

The site is huge and in a lovely location on the banks of the river Trent, there are lots of boats moored and some are lived in, there are also a lot of static vans on site. The touring pitches are all grass most have electric hook up, there are some non electric within the bounds of 2 huge fields that are used for rallies. We had a non electric pitch which was well away from everything and very quiet. All the pitches are flat and there are good roads to access them. The nearest toilets to the touring field are porta cabins with just gents and ladies toilets and wash basins there is a larger toilet block with showers, laundry and pot washing further away on the drive as you enter the site. If you want a shower you have to first go to the reception which is open shop hours, to get a token (50p) and then walk back to the showers. Keys are needed for both toilet blocks, the toilets and showers although showing signs of age are kept very clean.

Dogs must be kept on a short lead whilst on site but there is a gate which leads to a huge area with a pond where you can exercise your dog on the banks of the river.

There is a pub/bar on site just a short stagger from the touring field called Smithy's Marina Bar, here you can have a drink and a meal (nothing fancy just pub grub at reasonable prices) and there is entertainment provided at certain times. There is also a pub called the Navigation Inn just outside the entrance of the site but we didn't try it. There are also several pubs in and around the village of Shardlow which is within walking distance, there are also walks and cycling down the Trent if you wish. Castle Donnington is the nearest largish town and is just over two miles and has a high street lined with Shops, Cafe's, Restaurants, Ale Houses, Bars, Bank & even a Chip Shop! Nottingham is a short drive away as is Derby.

The reason for visiting the site was to investigate the possibility of a rally but although the location is very good we don't think it would be suitable because of the lack of electricity on the rally field and the fact that rally people are not given a key to the toilets so members would need their own toilet facilities. I'm not sure whether we would visit the site again because we thought it a tad expensive especially when you take into account extras for awnings, pup tents, gazebos, dogs etc.

Here is my video review

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Shardlow

Hello Graham

I completely agree with your thoughts. I went last year and found the same. There are a couple of handy bus stops outside of the campsite, one side took me to Derby the other side to me Loughborough, both well worth a visit. A little walk away is the Clock Warehouse pub (Marstons) which is by the river and not a bad place to spend a short time at.

My father found the toilets (porta cabins) a little hard to access and the brick outhouses are based on the 'seasonal pitch' part of the site, which was a fair walk for him. The office staff were friendly but I have noticed a vacancy, so if you fancy a nice time by the marina!

I found the on-site pub lively and busy, in fact I could not get in!

Would I go again, yes.

Thanks for reading.
    Izzy

Comment