Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Park Dean - Sunnydale - Saltfleet, Lincolnshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Park Dean - Sunnydale - Saltfleet, Lincolnshire.

I'm normally a Camping and Caravanning Club man myself. I have used Club Sites, Camping in the Forest sites and indeed Certificated sites, all very much to my satisfaction. I'm also a regular wild camper and Brit Stopper.

When I was a bit younger, myself and various girlfriends have used Park Dean holiday camps, when they were Park Resorts and indeed the old British Holiday camps, all touring with the folding camper. And I've have always signed up for information from them when I've been at the NEC at caravan shows, primarily to get a free pen and a sweetie! So when the usual e-mail came thorugh, I went to delete it, but just for once, I decided to click through to the main site and see what they had on offer.

To my surprise, some of the last minute offers were really quite good and thus, I have just returned from 7 nights, Sunday to Sunday with EHU, for £69! Entertainment passes included as was free use of the on site swimming pool and their small, but well stocked fishing pond. Right on the Lincolnshire coast, 15 minutes from Mablethorpe, half an hour or so from Cleethorpes and about 45 minutes from Skegness and within an hour of some great Lincolnshire attractions.

Most of the site, as is the same with all of these companies these days, was taken up with lodges and the large mobile home type caravans, as they called them, but there were a good number of touring pitches, sited on a field at the end of the site. I didn't count them, but I would say there were about 50 touring pitches.

The pitches were grass 7m x 7m with adequate shower toilets and washroom in a portacabin affair, outside dishwashing in a wee lean-to and plenty of fresh water and a decent chemical disposal point. None of it was up to C+C Club standards, but all perfectly adequate and clean, particularly for the price. The grass pitches were a little bit tired, which is to be expected at this time of year, but they had plenty of room and were well spaced out. Awnings and pup tents accepted for no extra cost. Indeed, I never saw a warden of any sort and people were really spreading themself out and making themself comfortable! Which I kinda liked.

The clubhouse was small, but clean an tidy, with what you'd expect, with an arcade and games for the kiddies and fruit machines for the adults. The bar was very reasonable priced, considering, I was on Guiness at £4.25 a pint and you could get bitter or lager for £3.75 a pint, if that's your thing. Food was expensive, most main meals being in excess of £8.00, but a fried breakfast could be had in the morning for less than a fiver. Entertainment ws virtually non-existent at this time of year, but bingo was available every evening, if you like that sort of thing and quizzes and what-not and recorded music and dance floor til 11pm, in the 150 seat main entertainment suite. Friday night there was a very professional singer and Saturday night a very good magician/singer partnership.

There is a small shop on site which to be fair, was running down for the year, I think, but there was a fish and chip shop 50 metres away and a Co-Op about a ten minute drive away. There was a small shop and garage in Saltfleet village within walking distance of the site.

The on site fishing lake is really only a pond, but provided you have a rod licence, the permit to fish there is free, with about 15 pegs to fish from. I saw carp from 5lb to 15lb come out every single day, a couple of big perch and chubb and the usual skimmer bream, roach and rudd. I was fishing with a cheap telescopic rod from Go Outdoors which cost £14.99 and a set of kit to go with it for £7.99 and even I was catching roach and skimmer bream every time I fished. There is a resident water bailiff who comes round most days and was a lovely fella. He chucked a couple of people off who didn't have a licence, which was good to see. And if you know what you are doing, the good sized fish aren't too hard to catch.

I didn't use the swimming pool complex, cos I'm not a swimmer, but reports from people I spoke to said it was great, particularly for the kiddies.

As a tourist, I visited the Seal Sanctuary in Mablethorpe, the excellent RAF memorial Flight Display at RAF Coninsgby, the GoApe at Normandby Hall, the excellent Bubble Car Museum at Boston and the towns of Louth and Mablethorpe. All at most within an hour, except the GoApe which was about 1hr 15 away.

Now I know that these sort of campsites are not for everyone and that's fine. But if you're looking for somewhere to take the kiddies or grand kiddies for the week, then Park Dean is well worth a look.

Or moreso if you are looking for a cheap week away with EHU and out of season, then don't dismiss Park Dean. You might not want an entertainment complex, or a fishing lake or a swimming pool and you might hate bingo. That's fine, just don't use any of them!

Park Dean sites are quite extensive and mostly coastal but not all take touring, so check on their website to see if there's anything you fancy. https://www.parkdeanresorts.co.uk and click on the touring link.

And before the nay sayers jump in and point out it will be much more expensive during school holidays, well, yes of course it will be, that is the way of the world. But for £69 for 7 nights with EHU for the first week in September, I was pleasantly surprised.

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

We've had some lovely breaks with them on the Isle of Wight in September, couldn't recommend them highly enough

Comment

I've just put in a week Sunday to Sunday starting 15th September at Sunnydale and it is now £59.

Panda
      These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Sounds lovely, thanks for the very comprehensive review!

I could be looking at hiring a static for a holiday next year so I'll keep them in mind!!

Comment

They are good value even in the school hols. We stayed at their Withernsea park last year, 7 nights the first week in August with EHU and it was just over £130. Not out usual sort of site but it the kids loved the pool, the two on site playgrounds and the beach which was only a stone's throw away. For the money it was brilliant.
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Worth signing up for their newsletter as they send out some very good special offers
            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment