No announcement yet.

West Hook Farm ; Marloes ; Pembrokeshire

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Hook Farm ; Marloes ; Pembrokeshire

One of my favourite sites - head West to Haverfordwest , keep going to Marloes and carry on towards Martin's Haven ( where the road runs out ) . Just before it does - on the right hand side of the single track road , is West Hook Farm ( look out for the Puffins on the gateposts ! ) with several fields of short grass dedicated for camping ; caravans & motorhomes .
    It's fairly basic ( no electric hook ups , though with a perfectly good toilet block ,with sinks & showers ) but its the location that does it for me - perched up above the sea , looking out over St. Bride's Bay towards St . Davids . Martins Haven , with a small shingle beach , is the departure point for the boat to Skomer Island ( well worth a visit in late Spring / early Summer to see the Puffins - plus much more wildlife ).
    The campsite is right on the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path , with stunning scenery from the rocky cliffs into the clear sea . Lots of wild flowers in the Spring too .
    Not far away is the large beach at Marloes Sands , while heading East along the coastal path brings you to Musselwick Sands , a beautiful sandy beach backed by cliffs - though accessible only down steps cut in the rock & only at low tide
    Marloes village itself , within walking distance of the campsite , has a small Post Office / shop / cafe - plus a pub that does food .
    Calor Gas refills are available & fridge / freezers are provided for campers use .
    The facilities are kept very clean & the owners are very friendly & helpful .
    On a sunny Summers day , you could almost believe you were somewhere on the Mediterranean - & whenever I go there , I feel the stress slipping from my shoulders !
    Truly " the campsite at the end of the world " & in my opinion , well worth a visit .
    Last edited by Blackshuck; 03-08-2017, 04:03 AM.

This is really interesting for me - heading to Marloes on Monday, but staying at a different site. Much of the info here will be of use so thanks! I looked at this campsite, but the last 2 reviews shown on google were not very complimentary about the owners, saying they were quite rude and gruff. But it did occur to me that it could be 2 people from the same party, who had not behaved themselves! How sad it put me off - I should have checked on UKCampsites site, which confirms your opinion.

Oh well, I will put a review of Foxdale on here - it is in the village so won't have the same views :-( Although I haven't paid a deposit, so perhaps I should switch.....
    There's no point leaving it sitting on the drive!

I've been visiting this site for years & always got on well with the owners - Rob , I would agree , probably doesn't suffer fools gladly
      ( and who can blame him ! ) .
      Karrie is always helpful - once we forgot to take a saucepan & she lent us one for the duration of our stay !
      One caveat - the fact that this site is on an open peninsula , whilst being lovely in good weather , does mean it can be a bit bleak in bad weather , especially if it's wet & windy . Not so bad in a van , but it can get interesting in a tent !

Could you give some idea of the prices please.

Hi Peter ,
          Camper van / motorhome plus one adult = £10 per night .
          2 adults = £15

We had many happy family holidays at West Hook farm and I stayed there last year on my way to Ireland. I think it's a brilliant site and have found the owner reserved but very helpful.
            Stayed in Foxdale about 20 years ago and had a very unpleasant row with the owner, in fairness he is probably long gone and it's a good location for the village but the views at West Hook farm are wonderful and it's right on the costal path.

As promised, my thoughts on Foxdale:
              • Large, well-kept field, with vans/caravans near the entrance. Showers, hairdryer, washing up area all kept nice and clean, but look a bit elderly.
              • Handy being in the village, which now only has a pub and a single post office/shop/cafe.
              • You can walk to several beaches from the site, and to Marloes Mere for bird-watching.
              • Even though it was August and had several large family groups, everyone was well behaved - mainly outdoor types who were exhausted from boarding/cycling/walking!
              • A young couple are running the site for the owner, and they are wonderful - Julian and Wendy. They seem to remember everyone's name, and are very welcoming.
              • They have a camp kitchen so you can get breakfasts and home-cooked evening meals. (I had Wendy's sausage casserole and mash one night, it was lovely).

I walked past West Hook Farm and it definitely has better views, but as you say, in bad weather would be more exposed than Foxdale.

I would definitely go to Foxdale again.
              Last edited by ajtyorks; 20-08-2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
              There's no point leaving it sitting on the drive!

Another thumbs up for Marloes.

Had a couple of nights there a few weeks ago. Great location & views, clean facilities and despite what some online reviews suggest, helpful owners. I think some people must expect them all to behave like Butlin's redcoats!

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users