West Hook Farm ; Marloes ; Pembrokeshire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Hook Farm ; Marloes ; Pembrokeshire

One of my favourite sites - head West to Haverfordwest , keep going to Marloes and carry on towards Martin's Haven ( where the road runs out ) . Just before it does - on the right hand side of the single track road , is West Hook Farm ( look out for the Puffins on the gateposts ! ) with several fields of short grass dedicated for camping ; caravans & motorhomes .
    It's fairly basic ( no electric hook ups , though with a perfectly good toilet block ,with sinks & showers ) but its the location that does it for me - perched up above the sea , looking out over St. Bride's Bay towards St . Davids . Martins Haven , with a small shingle beach , is the departure point for the boat to Skomer Island ( well worth a visit in late Spring / early Summer to see the Puffins - plus much more wildlife ).
    The campsite is right on the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path , with stunning scenery from the rocky cliffs into the clear sea . Lots of wild flowers in the Spring too .
    Not far away is the large beach at Marloes Sands , while heading East along the coastal path brings you to Musselwick Sands , a beautiful sandy beach backed by cliffs - though accessible only down steps cut in the rock & only at low tide
    Marloes village itself , within walking distance of the campsite , has a small Post Office / shop / cafe - plus a pub that does food .
    Calor Gas refills are available & fridge / freezers are provided for campers use .
    The facilities are kept very clean & the owners are very friendly & helpful .
    On a sunny Summers day , you could almost believe you were somewhere on the Mediterranean - & whenever I go there , I feel the stress slipping from my shoulders !
    Truly " the campsite at the end of the world " & in my opinion , well worth a visit .
    Last edited by Blackshuck; 03-08-2017, 05:03 AM.

This is really interesting for me - heading to Marloes on Monday, but staying at a different site. Much of the info here will be of use so thanks! I looked at this campsite, but the last 2 reviews shown on google were not very complimentary about the owners, saying they were quite rude and gruff. But it did occur to me that it could be 2 people from the same party, who had not behaved themselves! How sad it put me off - I should have checked on UKCampsites site, which confirms your opinion.

Oh well, I will put a review of Foxdale on here - it is in the village so won't have the same views :-( Although I haven't paid a deposit, so perhaps I should switch.....
    There's no point leaving it sitting on the drive!
    http://the3cheers.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I've been visiting this site for years & always got on well with the owners - Rob , I would agree , probably doesn't suffer fools gladly
      ( and who can blame him ! ) .
      Karrie is always helpful - once we forgot to take a saucepan & she lent us one for the duration of our stay !
      One caveat - the fact that this site is on an open peninsula , whilst being lovely in good weather , does mean it can be a bit bleak in bad weather , especially if it's wet & windy . Not so bad in a van , but it can get interesting in a tent !

Comment

Could you give some idea of the prices please.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter ,
          Camper van / motorhome plus one adult = £10 per night .
          2 adults = £15

Comment

We had many happy family holidays at West Hook farm and I stayed there last year on my way to Ireland. I think it's a brilliant site and have found the owner reserved but very helpful.
            Stayed in Foxdale about 20 years ago and had a very unpleasant row with the owner, in fairness he is probably long gone and it's a good location for the village but the views at West Hook farm are wonderful and it's right on the costal path.

Comment

As promised, my thoughts on Foxdale:
              • Large, well-kept field, with vans/caravans near the entrance. Showers, hairdryer, washing up area all kept nice and clean, but look a bit elderly.
              • Handy being in the village, which now only has a pub and a single post office/shop/cafe.
              • You can walk to several beaches from the site, and to Marloes Mere for bird-watching.
              • Even though it was August and had several large family groups, everyone was well behaved - mainly outdoor types who were exhausted from boarding/cycling/walking!
              • A young couple are running the site for the owner, and they are wonderful - Julian and Wendy. They seem to remember everyone's name, and are very welcoming.
              • They have a camp kitchen so you can get breakfasts and home-cooked evening meals. (I had Wendy's sausage casserole and mash one night, it was lovely).

I walked past West Hook Farm and it definitely has better views, but as you say, in bad weather would be more exposed than Foxdale.

I would definitely go to Foxdale again.
              Last edited by ajtyorks; 20-08-2017, 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
              There's no point leaving it sitting on the drive!
              http://the3cheers.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Another thumbs up for Marloes.

Had a couple of nights there a few weeks ago. Great location & views, clean facilities and despite what some online reviews suggest, helpful owners. I think some people must expect them all to behave like Butlin's redcoats!

P1030657.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X