bed problem - mattresses too thin :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bed problem - mattresses too thin :(

Well after seven days camping, we both decided the beds are too hard! We were getting there on that one at Wolverley, but was ok after 4 nights...

So should I buy some proper upholstery foam for underneath? It's pretty expensive... or mattress toppers? Any suggestions considered, except for blow up airbeds, I hate them!

Has anyone else had this problem and how have they cured it? I need at least another 3" of bed depth!

hi Jackie,
    Mattress toppers are a lot cheaper and you can get thick ones, I used one in a previous van, or how about a folded large duvet to lie on, I have done that too, very cozy.

Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

we use a memory foam topper, we got them off fleabay but unfortunately the particular seller we bought from is 'no longer a regisitered user'. Just make sure you buy a thick one, most websites seem to say at least 5cm to make any noticable difference. Others on here have recommeded raskelf.com
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Hi Jayjay

We sleep on 10cm memory foam mattresses which are very comfortable.

In the Dimension, the seats which form the bed are shaped, and usually you need infills to make them flat. With our mattress we don't need to take the infills.

Hope this helps.

Gail

Comment

Originally posted by Dorset Dimension View Post
          Hi Jayjay

We sleep on 10cm memory foam mattresses which are very comfortable.

In the Dimension, the seats which form the bed are shaped, and usually you need infills to make them flat. With our mattress we don't need to take the infills.
          Hi Gail

How much room do your memory foam mattresses take up? We have the same problem with the infills but we use those sleeping bags which are lined with a small air mattress and they roll up quite small about 8-10 inch diameter, they are quite comfortable and we also leave our infills at home.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Hi Gail

How much room do your memory foam mattresses take up? We have the same problem with the infills but we use those sleeping bags which are lined with a small air mattress and they roll up quite small about 8-10 inch diameter, they are quite comfortable and we also leave our infills at home.
            Hi

We have two single duvet covers joined together. In one side we made a pocket down through the middle of the quilt case (the width of our memory foam). In the other we put a quilt. During the day we fold up one of them in half longways which acts as a seat on the small sofa (using the headrests as arm rests - your suggestion !!) and then roll up the quilt half which acts as a back rest.

The other quilt we store in the overhead.

Alternatively, we make the steering wheel side into a long sofa ( as per sleeping ) and fold one of the quilts as a seat and roll the other one up to make a back rest which fits along the whole length.

Does this make sense ? It works for us !!!

Gail

Comment

We have done similar to The Dorsets. But we use single beds so we have one kit each. We bought a double duvet cover each (in colour to match the upholstery!)and sewed each down from top to bottom making two pockets. One pocket is a third of the width to accommodate the topper and the larger pocket accommodates the single quilt.

Jayjay these are really comfortable and cheap to make - apart from the topper which are expensive. We bought a double and cut it in half for each of us but you could use a single or double folded or cut and put two in the cover for a really thick one.

Our toppers are the eggbox style which makes them easier to roll up.

Comment

Many thanks for all your suggestions!

I already have a spare double egg box mattress, so I'll try that first.

I don't think a duvet will work, I slept on top of my very thick sleeping bag and although it helped a little bit, it wasn't enough. At home I have a sprung mattress and memory foam bed.

I was wondering whether to buy two long pieces of upholstery foam about 3" depth and just put them underneath, but I don't know how expensive that would be!

something like this, only bed size!
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comment

We have Duvalays there brilliant -- http://www.raskelf.com/duvalay.htm -- there downfall is they do take up a fair amount of room (but worth it lol)

Have just ordered a matteress topper for my Grandson sofa bed from ebay - can let you know how that packs away next week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123
                  Cas @(*0*)@

Comment

Originally posted by Cas View Post
                    We have Duvalays there brilliant -- http://www.raskelf.com/duvalay.htm -- there downfall is they do take up a fair amount of room (but worth it lol)

Have just ordered a matteress topper for my Grandson sofa bed from ebay - can let you know how that packs away next week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123
                    Thanks for that, Caz.

I was thinking of putting them underneath the beds during the day and flipping over at night, rather than packing them away somewhere. Or even covering them and leaving them on the top to sit on!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me .... if your having two single beds, it may work out cheaper to buy one large topper and cut it two

I thought I had ordered a Super King size from Ideal World ... which would have fitted our luton and the single sofa - sadly it was just a King size too big for luton and not big enough to cut up ... so one happy son with nice topper for his KS bed lol
                      Cas @(*0*)@

Comment

Originally posted by Cas View Post
                        Sounds like a good plan to me .... if your having two single beds, it may work out cheaper to buy one large topper and cut it two

I thought I had ordered a Super King size from Ideal World ... which would have fitted our luton and the single sofa - sadly it was just a King size too big for luton and not big enough to cut up ... so one happy son with nice topper for his KS bed lol
                        Oh that's a nusiance! The sort of thing I'd do as well. Never mind, happens to us all!

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice on making the nights more comfy, I was about to ask and lo there is lots of advice already. I looked at the prices of Raskelf Duvalays, and they are a bit steep, so I'm investigating a DIY version. If the cost is fairly close we may just shell out for the real thing.

One is no problem as Eileen sleeps on the proper lockers and cushions, but I sleep with one locker and one of the extra passenger seats folded down with the cushion on top. This means the seat belt pillar is sticking up and any bedding has to curve round or have a split so it can go each side. I would be reluctant to cut up an expensive Duvalay. I think we may start off with just one Duvalay for Eileen and I'll continue to lay on a folded duvet for a while. Ann

Comment

We were in Poundstretcher today and their toppers, of various sizes, were reduced, so good bargains to be had if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                              We were in Poundstretcher today and their toppers, of various sizes, were reduced, so good bargains to be had if that helps.
                              Thanks just caught up with messages - been to a local Folk event. I'll check for the nearest Poundstretcher.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X