new window, need spacers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new window, need spacers!

I wondered what the draught was! The new window I had made is a few mm's thinner than the original window, so I need spacers fitting behind the catches on the caravan so that the window tightens properly.

Can anyone think of anything I can use? It has to be rigid plastic or something like that. This needs to be stuck to the window and then the catches (just at the bottom of the window) refitted. Then that will pull the window tight shut.

Can't think of anything I could use as spacers!

Could you get some plastic washers from the plumbing dept of B&Q or something?

Comment

Could you cut the handle off your toothbrush?
      derek b and Babs

Comment

...there is probably a more technical solution but how about cutting the right shape (using the catch as a template) out of the side of a plastic milk 'bottle' or other plastic packaging - this would allow you to layer up to the right thickness.

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Lizp View Post
          ...there is probably a more technical solution but how about cutting the right shape (using the catch as a template) out of the side of a plastic milk 'bottle' or other plastic packaging - this would allow you to layer up to the right thickness.

Liz
          that sounds like a good idea!
          Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies, that gives me some ideas.

Perhaps an ice cream lid, maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
              that sounds like a good idea!
              ..........empty the bottle first though!
              derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                Thanks for the speedy replies, that gives me some ideas.

Perhaps an ice cream lid, maybe??
                Flavoured or plain?
                derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by derek b View Post
                  Flavoured or plain?
                  vanilla!

Comment

Sugru perhaps, or maybe polymorph

Comment

..........empty the bottle first though!
                      ...spoilsport

Comment

Could you cut the handle off your toothbrush?
                        Yes, but then how would she reach to scratch her back

Comment

new window nned spacers

I wondered what the draught was! The new window I had made is a few mm's thinner than the original window, so I need spacers fitting behind the catches on the caravan so that the window tightens properly.

Can anyone think of anything I can use? It has to be rigid plastic or something like that. This needs to be stuck to the window and then the catches (just at the bottom of the window) refitted. Then that will pull the window tight shut.

Is the black rubber thing about 2 and half by 1 inch, fitted between the catch and window what you are looking for? If so I have a roll of black neoprene rubber approx 1/8th of inch thick(just a guess) I could send you some which you just cut to shape if it's any help. Let me know. Pam

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Pam, but it's not the stuff I need! I need something rigid to put behind the catches, then screw then back on to that on top. Rubber will just compress over time, so it's got to be either wood or plastic.

Paul, that polymorph stuff sounds good, although reading on about it, it will soften again if it gets heated up again, so it wouldn't work....

My sis had a good idea t'other day - cut some pieces out of an old washing up bowl... I just happen to have one (I knew it would come in handy for something!), so I might try that! I just hope I can cut it!

Comment

I think you are going to need something more rigid and hardwearing, the types of plastic suggested so far will probably work for a time but tend to go brittle over time, especially when exposed to sunlight.

I would think a very dense rubber would be better, something like they use as exhaust hangers on cars.
                              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment