Peterborough and Wales - also funeral & bluegrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peterborough and Wales - also funeral & bluegrass

Everytime I log on here I get a message asking me to post something. So, here goes with a little bit about a trip we made in late June and early July. Originally it was to have been straight up to Conwy for the North Wales Bluegrass Festival. This changed when my bro'-in-law passed away after a long illness. The funeral was on Monday June 28 in Peterborough, so that the only sensible thing to do was to make a combined journey. I booked four nights at the CC Ferry Meadows site in Peterborough. Leaving the Isle of Wight by ferry on the Sunday, we had a wonderful drive, almost all on dual carriageway with the Eriba pushing our Skoda most energetically. Notwithstanding the sadness of the family occasion, the stay at Ferry Meadows was a delight. This is a site I would recommend to all. Located by the water park on the River Nene (or is that Nin?), the grass pitch part of the site was perfect. We enjoy wildlife and were visited by ducks, rabbits and a squirrel that raided the awning. We also sighted a fox or two plus numerous wild birds. The site staff were polite and helpful and we got on well with the other campers around us. With permission I was even encouraged to play the banjo from time to time and nobody objected! On the Thursday we set off across country for Conwy and afert an uneventful trip arrived at the festival site. This is not a purpose-built campsite, but a public park. There was no EHU, so we were on the leisure battery and gas until the Monday. The festival was great as always and we had a lot of fun. I joined in jamming until the early hours each day and we went to quite a number of the concerts. By now we have attended for so many years that friendships have developed with other regulars and it was good to meet up. Come the Monday, we set off back south, stopping at the CC Brynich site near Brecon overnight. It was good to get a hook-up and be able to shower - we were no longer counted amongst the great unwashed! Next day back down south and over the water to the Island and home. Looking back on the trip, our little Eriba Triton (Tabitha) behaved faultlessly and proved once again to be an excellent temporary home both with and without EHU. Towing was so easy that the biggest danger was that of forgetting what was behind me. I confess I'm not sad we went for a towed van and I'm happy we didn't go for a conventional 'wobbly box'. Mike J

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you had a good time overall, in spite of the sadness of a funeral.

The bluegrass fest sounds good! I've just returned from the Moira Furnace fest, (also camping in the Municipal park as well!) where me and my mate Linda did a lot of sessions stuff. I sing and play the guitar mostly. You'll have to come to the Polstead meet, we could have a jam!

We needs pictures! do you have any photos of your unit? I've got a little Kip caravan, easy to tow and lightweight. I tow with a 1600cc auto Almera and hardly know its there either!

Comment

Hi Mike

Sounds like you had a good time, it is nice to go to these festivals and events. To me they always feel friendly and particularly if you can join in. Hope you can make Polstead,

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X