solar showers (anyone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solar showers (anyone)

Couldn't find anything in a search about solar showers. But does anyone have any experience of these things? are they any good? Pam

We saw two people who had them at a recent meet up on a non facility site. They were like huge but strong bags that you left in the sun to warm up. One lady had got one as she did not want to use her gas everyday to heat the water. Hers did not warm up even after a whole day, but it was a dull day. If it had got warm she would than have had to get it on to the roof or a shelf somehow inside the van to cascade into her shower cubicle in her van. She decided it was just too much fuss. It was also very heavy. A bowl of hot water from kettle and a flannel served well in the end.

Don't know how the others got on but they were in a trailer tent and had it set up in a toilet tent so maybe they had some kind of device to lift it and hold it high enough to use.

If these are what you mean these were cheapish under a tenner I think.

Comment

Solar showers

Yes that was what I meant. There are a lot on ebay around about £10. Mostly 20 litre capacity. Just wondered if anyone had used one. thanks.

Pam

Comment

I used one at the Cwmcuttan site near Llandovery - the site has no toilet/shower facilities, so it was my first chance to use the utility tent and porta-potti in anger

Needed a shower though, so I bought a solar one the day before. Thick plastic bag that gets heavy when full, although the small rose means that there isn't much wasted if you keep switching it on and off as you shower, and a full bag is more than enough for one person. Just as well because the flexible rubber bucket that I was standing in started to get a bit unstable once it started to get quite full

The utility tent has a ring hanging from the top of the tent on the inside, for hanging lights or showers, and although I was a bit worried about the weight it coped no problem.

It was June, but rained on and off so my efforts at seeing how well it heated were a bit of a failure - cold to tepid in about half-an-hour. And I don't think it's insulated well enough to hold the heat all night for my morning shower. So I ended up boiling the kettle several times and mixing it with cold until I got the temperature OK.

Verdict: I'd never use it in preference to an on-site shower, but in an emergency it's OK.
        Neil

Comment

Solar showers

Thanks for that insight Neil. I would have to be desperate to use one as well and British weather being so unpredictable you'd never be sure what kind of shower you'd get. Just wondered and you answered my question. Thanks
          Pam

Comment

Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post

Verdict: I'd never use it in preference to an on-site shower, but in an emergency it's OK.
            Emergency!! The mind boggles. What on earth kind of emergencies do you have camping!!!!!!!??????

Bowl of hot water and some soap for us, any excuse to be free of usual practicalities of home.

Comment

I have a 12v / battery operated shower which is ab fab. Think I posted elsewhere on the site about it, but its a Ring Automotive one, can be found on ebay and I've also seen them in Yeomans about half the price I paid on ebay for mine (about £12). You would still need to work out the logistics of hot water and drainage with one, but I usually fill a 20 litre container from the hot tap or top up from a kettle for a shower, and use 4 litres for a single application hairwash. Being battery operated too, you can run it anywhere - inside or outside your van.

Comment

I've read that the solar showers are ok, and if necessary can be filled by using hot water instead of waiting for them to heat up. But there are still the weight and hanging issues there to be overcome.

I bought a Flower Shower, it works by pressure alone. It's meant for watering/spraying gardens, so pretty reasonable as it doesn't have 'camping/caravanning' tags on...

Having just returned from a folk fest with no facilities, I can confirm that it works very well. We showered in the awning, behind my shower curtain, which hangs across one corner where the loo usually sits, out of the draughts.. (we used the loo lid to put the soap on!) I can confirm that 6 litres of water, half of cold water, half of nearly boiling water was the right temp and that did both of us!

No worries about where to hang it, it sits on the floor, next to the container you're going to stand in (in our case, one of the plastic cupboard shelves with microfibre cloth in the bottom to prevent slips.)

If you wanted to wash your hair as well, you'd need a whole container to yourself, but the shower head works really well and there's even a little shelf to put it on while you soap yourself! It has a hand held switch, so it shuts off automatically if you want to put it down. You simply hold it, press the lever and spray yourself with it!

Really really pleased with mine. I had previously tried it in the shower room at home and thought it was ok, but it was even better at the fest, and so welcome and refreshing!
                Attached Files

Comment

solar showers

That looks a good idea. I'm going to check that out. Thanks jayjay.

Pam

Comment

and it prevents underarm greenfly!

Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                      Emergency!! The mind boggles. What on earth kind of emergencies do you have camping!!!!!!!??????
                      Hey....if I can't have my shower in the morning...that's an emergency, because otherwise I'm a grumpy so-and-so!
                      Neil

Comment

solar showers

Here, here. The last couple of sites I've been on. The 20 litre bags hung off a treeare power showers compared.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                          and it prevents underarm greenfly!

You can also use it during a hosepipe ban (like we have here at the moment) to water the flowers - bonus!

Although since they put the hosepipe ban into place, it hasn't really stopped raining! Isn't that just typical?

Comment

Jayjay
                            You are an absolute innovator. Do you have a separate space in your head for all your ideas, you have an answer or solution to so many problems. This idea is absolutely great. Much better than that heavy bag and will recommend it to anyone who asks me, with full credit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                              Jayjay
                              You are an absolute innovator. Do you have a separate space in your head for all your ideas, you have an answer or solution to so many problems. This idea is absolutely great. Much better than that heavy bag and will recommend it to anyone who asks me, with full credit to you.
                              JayJay takes a bow.... Actually I can't take the credit for this one as I found the idea for the flower shower from somone who used and recommended one on another forum! So I thought I'd have a go and report back for here. (And it's very lightweight when empty as well...)

Most of the things I know have been gleaned from previous knowledge... or I've thought of a solution myself and learned the hard way how to do the job properly! I read a lot...

Some of my own ideas come from simply pondering a solution for a few days before trying it out. Ask the question... consider the replies. Think before you act (especially if it involves hammers, drills or screwdrivers) is one of my motto's! LOL!!

If I ever had the money to buy something decent, I wouldn't have had so many problems and had to think of so many solutions! Most of the help I've had has come from right here from other small motorhomers.. you try, you learn, then you can help someone who comes along later!

ETA: meant to add my other motto is where there's a will, there's a way!
                              Last edited by jayjay; 24-08-2010, 09:39.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X